fav amp you own

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
Germino Lead 55LV.
Late 60s tube rectified Marshall 1987 circuit.
Got it at Atlanta Discount in your neck of the woods.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Other than that Crate thing, this is all I got that fits the parameters.
View attachment 106951

Versatile, portable, and great for using up grill cloth scraps...
thats all you need too. :cheers:
had a trade offer a week back on one of these. just couldnt make the trade.
it was for one of my MIM strats. killed me to say no too.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Doraville. But, then again when my small town ass gets up there it all looks the same to me. Ha! They have more quality gear than all the Guitar Centers in Ga put together.
i know where your talking about. last time i was there, yrs ago, they were a shadow
of their former selves.

try this place bro. you gotta make an appointment but its easy.
this place blows away anything atlanta has ever had bro.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
i know where your talking about. last time i was there, yrs ago, they were a shadow
of their former selves.

try this place bro. you gotta make an appointment but its easy.
this place blows away anything atlanta has ever had bro.

Damn! I'd heard of it but that's my first time looking.

jeffb

Reaction score
I no longer own any non Marshalls, but I've owned a bunch of other amps over the years.

Some faves that come to mind are

Rivera Chubster 40- The only "American Cleans/British Crunch" amp that ever lived up to the promise for me. IT's not quite Marshally, it's got a bit more grit than a Marshall. And a very "dry" tone , which I like.

I've had a few MESAs but probably my fave was the F50. Clean channel was the star here- Cranked it would get a Fender-esque silver bassman gain, but tight on the lows and sweeter on the highs. Very 70s rock. Gain channel was similar to the old 50 cal. A little more ratty than a Mark.

When I was younger I had a little 75 silverface champ that was a blues machine. I liked it better than the original tweed champs I've played. I used it for small "house parties" or impromptu jamming with friends. This was an absolute [email protected]$$ in combination with my Charvel Model 7

And the ORANGE OR15 was so much fun, I bought a second one after getting rid of my 1st. I had to downsize (volume-wise) again and sold the second one in order to bring in my Ori20, and I'm seriously thinking of getting another OR15 once I'm moved. It's like the amp equivalent of Marvel's "What if?" comics from the 70s. "What if Orange built a little class A, cathode bias JMP MV inspired amp with some EL84s?" I absolutely love it in 7watt mode. It is the most "bouncy" dynamic, fun to play amp I've owned in...20 years?. And a great "bedroom" amp. Here is a demo with my Les Paul Trad with late pat#/early T top clones.

Last edited:

Steven Howes

Reaction score
Most days of the week I'd say my fav is the Ibanez TSA15, but this week I moved my traynor Bassmate(YBA-2 I think) to the front and I had forgotten what a beautiful sounding amp it is. It's a 72 so back then I don't think people cared about bells and whistles cuz this has none. 3 knobs.. Vol, Bass & Treble, into a matching 115 cab. There's no dirt to it at all, it's clean all the way to 10.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
this is my actual amp, that, the guy I bought it off was playing...

He had it dialed way down, pulling ECC83s out & replacing them w. ECC82s. IMO, it sounds 100% better now, w/ the ECC83s & is a firebreather, that can get a good clean sound...

Browneyesound

Reaction score

1967 Univox U45B. But with a completely modified circuit over the stock amp.
Sounds great with a strat or a LP. Roughly 10W, I have gigged with it at small clubs, and use it at home and practice 99% over any other amp I have. Volume, treble bleed tone, and a PPIMV, and that’s all it needs.

Derek S

Reaction score
Can't list my 100 watters, that sucks but it does make this simple then, the AXE III.

Many years back (before my current amps) I would've said the best 50w head I ever layed my hands on for high gain was the Chupacabra (by a mile).

For medium gain, the Budda Superdrive II (30w)

For low gain and cleans, the Dr. Z Carmen Ghia.

Latest posts