Fault With Marshall Bluesbreaker Reissue

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Bluesbreaker78, May 22, 2018.

1. Bluesbreaker78

Bluesbreaker78 New Member

Hey all, a few months ago I bought a used Bluesbreaker reissue and love the amp but it is now making a weird noise. At first it was intermittent and usually started happening after an hour or so of playing, now it's pretty much all the time.

I've done two sound samples, one when the amp was working fine, and one showing the fault. Can anyone tell what the problem is from these? Does it just need new valves do you think?

Thanks for any help....

Amp working fine:

Amp with fault:

2. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

I can't tell anything from the sound samples, but most problems with JTM45s are the rectifier tube. Crackling, cloudy tone, too much sag, drop outs, spikes, and so forth. If it progresses and starts blowing the mains fuse it is 98% certainly the rectifier tube.

The rectifier tube is big part of the tone and feel of a JTM45. Changing the rectifier can completely change the tone and the feel of the amp. It also effects the bias the power tubes.

AMPPILOT likes this.
  3. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

I might add, since I couldn't tell from the samples, that "ghosting" or ghost note in the back ground that follows the regular notes around is usually an indicator that the filter caps need replacement. JTM45s have low filtering, although the reissues have higher filtering than the originals. If the amp is an older reissue it could need a cap job. Try a new rectifier and rebias first though.

EastTexas likes this.
  4. Bluesbreaker78

Ok thanks, I'll try that. I've found an amp tech near me so might take it to him and see what he thinks.

EastTexas likes this.
  5. EastTexas

EastTexas Member

I will add one thing - if you have to replace the rectifier, consider buying a NOS (new old stock) tube. You can still get one for around $40 bucks and if you buy from a reputable dealer (like KCANOStubes) they will probably last a lifetime. The Chinese and Russian rectifiers these days are pretty dodgy and have a high failure rate.

Bluesbreaker78 likes this.
  6. Bluesbreaker78

Thanks I'll definitely check those out!

EastTexas likes this.
  7. Andreas Dalvad

Andreas Dalvad New Member

I have the exact same problem (clearly heard on the exampels) Did a new retrifier tube solve the problem for you?

best wishes from Denmark

Andreas

8. dro

dro Well-Known Member

I bought one in 08 I think. Rehearsed with it, loved it, gigged it once, loved everything but the weight. Got back to rehearsal room and started having issues. Cant remember now exactly what the issues were but took it back to GC. And got an acoustic ( also with issues) but that's another story.