Famous Guitar Teachers. Ever had one.

G the wildman

Reaction score
I have started having lessons with a very experienced guitarist who has toured and released albums.

The lessons are detailed and precise, small things go under the microscope and we work on them tirelessly for 2.5 hours each session. I have only had three lessons 2 or 3 weeks apart but they are improving my playing ability noticeably. I have had quite a few lessons with other tutors and worked hard, but I have not seen results like I am currently getting. My previous teachers were good, but this gentleman is on point. He wants me to improve.

Have you ever had a tutor who you think is outstanding.

Techdeth

Reaction score
Mine’s opposite. I’ve had one student become big in the technical death metal scene . Insane playing (Viraemia). My other students have a decent record deal . Pop band . (The Candescants) . Both are doing decent things . Both on iTunes

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
For a few months I took lessons from Paul Chapman who spent some time playing with UFO and was playing with Gator Country, a band of mostly former Molly Hatchet players.

Paul is the guy who figured out where I was weakest and needing and wanting the most help, which was in practical music theory. And he gave me the information I needed to unravel the whole mess and understand it well. He gave me that information in a matter of a few lessons, where other teachers simply missed the mark and did not see where I needed that help most.

Something as simple as this missed other teachers, but Paul got it: Teach me that the correct notes to play are the notes of the scale that fits the key of the moment. And every chord that fits, is in that scale. When you know the notes of the scale, you can build every valid chord for that scale and key from them. Simple....but I had to HEAR it from somebody. He gave me the knowledge to start with a blank sheet of paper and write down every major and minor scale in every key and derive EVERY chord from them that exists.

Later when I learned the foundational knowledge of modes, this completed the picture. I can reconstruct every scale, every mode, every key, and every chord now. I'm far from lightning fast at it, but I know how to do it. Name a key and a mode and I can give you the scales and chords for them. The most common ones are (mostly) committed to memory.

He was all about making it simpler to play the guitar. He broke down every scale (Major and Minor) to a system of just three fingering patterns.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
The two towns touch each other. I took lessons out of his Melbourne location adjacent to Guitar Haven. (Which has since moved.)

G the wildman

Reaction score
Mine’s opposite. I’ve had one student become big in the technical death metal scene . Insane playing (Viraemia). My other students have a decent record deal . Pop band . (The Candescants) . Both are doing decent things . Both on iTunes
Well done youI

G the wildman

Reaction score
For a few months I took lessons from Paul Chapman who spent some time playing with UFO and was playing with Gator Country, a band of mostly former Molly Hatchet players.

Paul is the guy who figured out where I was weakest and needing and wanting the most help, which was in practical music theory. And he gave me the information I needed to unravel the whole mess and understand it well. He gave me that information in a matter of a few lessons, where other teachers simply missed the mark and did not see where I needed that help most.

Something as simple as this missed other teachers, but Paul got it: Teach me that the correct notes to play are the notes of the scale that fits the key of the moment. And every chord that fits, is in that scale. When you know the notes of the scale, you can build every valid chord for that scale and key from them. Simple....but I had to HEAR it from somebody. He gave me the knowledge to start with a blank sheet of paper and write down every major and minor scale in every key and derive EVERY chord from them that exists.

Later when I learned the foundational knowledge of modes, this completed the picture. I can reconstruct every scale, every mode, every key, and every chord now. I'm far from lightning fast at it, but I know how to do it. Name a key and a mode and I can give you the scales and chords for them. The most common ones are (mostly) committed to memory.

He was all about making it simpler to play the guitar. He broke down every scale (Major and Minor) to a system of just three fingering patterns.

Sounds awesome, also sounds like you put the work in.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
The theory, yes....but the playing practice, not so much. I've found that the absolute best, nearly infallible way to clear my mind of all trace of thought, particularly memory or creativity, is to turn an amp on and pick up a guitar. In the words of Curly Howard, "I'm tryin' ta think but nuttin' happens!"

:erk:

hudpucker

Reaction score
My first teacher used to play for Jr. Walker. I was too young to know who that was and just wanted to learn rock tunes but he had me working on boring things like technique and scales.

He was much better than the two subsequent teachers I had (if only briefly), one of whom I was teaching stuff to during my last lesson.

KraftyBob

Reaction score
Not famous but he looked liked Steve Perry if that counts? Actually he was a dud though.
My first teacher was kind of a nerd looking guy but he was great. We’d spend the first half of the lesson on the books and the other half he had me bring in tapes (this was the 80’s) and we’d work through listening and figuring the songs out. He ended up moving and that’s when I got “Steve Perry”. He would not let me bring in tapes, said we only had a 1/2 hour and we needed to get through the books. I think I quit about a month later.
Fast forward about 40 years later I decided to tack another crack at lessons. Did a trial lesson with a local guy who seemed good, but unfortunately smoked like a chimney and I couldn’t stand being in a small closed room with him for 30 mins he wreaked of ashes so bad.

G the wildman

Reaction score
My teacher toured with Ginger Baker for a number of years. The skill and ability in his fingers is incredible. But also his mind, it is incredible how quickly he gets things down.

I just hope 10% of his ability rubs of on me.

It is already having an impact on my playing but at 64 years of age I am not sure I can do him justice. But I sure am trying.

G

Mike_LA

Reaction score
Ok, not my teacher but on 2 separate occasions, watching Steve Vai videos broke me out of stuck places, telling what I needed to hear at that point in time.
I was super stuck trying to learn a piece and he said, just focus on the next note in the piece not the whole thing. Really helped at that point.

DOCPAGE

Reaction score
I have started having lessons with a very experienced guitarist who has toured and released albums.

The lessons are detailed and precise, small things go under the microscope and we work on them tirelessly for 2.5 hours each session. I have only had three lessons 2 or 3 weeks apart but they are improving my playing ability noticeably. I have had quite a few lessons with other tutors and worked hard, but I have not seen results like I am currently getting. My previous teachers were good, but this gentleman is on point. He wants me to improve.

Can you say who it is? (If you’re not comfortable, please PM me). Sounds like precisely the kind of teacher I’m looking for. Thanks

Cal Nevari

Reaction score

It has been my good fortune to have some excellent guitar teachers. Not sure if they are famous but here are some links.

My first guitar teacher taught me classical for about a year and a half. He was very exacting and inflexible, which was too bad. I was 7 years old and in 1973, they didn't have small-scale guitars for kids with small hands, like mine. He is apparently a world-famous lutenist.

Another really good teacher I had for a few years about 10 years ago taught me jazz, Forrestt Williams. He is an excellent gypsy jazz guitar player and was way cooler and more friendly than my childhood teacher. His band, the Tipsy Gypsies are wonderful.