Fake basketweave cab on Reverb

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by BygoneTones, Aug 17, 2021.

1. BygoneTones

BygoneTones Well-Known Member

2. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  3. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Look at the magnet covers - they are H type
    The speakers have 14AA stamped on the side of the frame and T1221 - which they clearly are not as they would have an M magnet.
    January 68 the date stamp would be on the buff coloured cardboard front of the speaker, they moved to stamps on the frames a few months later.
    I can't vouch for the cab features (normally expect a ply strip across the front lower baffle edge this period - sometimes they are just missing......can't see screw holes) but I would have at least expected gold 6" logo (I've looked hard to see if there was that logo there once but can't see shadow or holes?).
    Of course the wiring is wrong for this period as well.
    Curious to see why someone might go to so much effort to fake the speakers with wrong magnets!?

4. BygoneTones

Here is what a genuine Jan 68 date code looks like:

[​IMG]

Spot the difference.

pulsonicsound, tomsvintage and DaDoc like this.
  5. BygoneTones

Probably made in the glory days of music ground when few people questioned it.

tomsvintage and DaDoc like this.
  6. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

Thanks, B! :yesway:

Dang, it's so easy to get ripped off these days..I always wonder if the seller knows they're selling a fake or if they got duped themselves.

7. BygoneTones

With the speakers, the main red flag is the ink stamp. Should be on the front gasket, not on the frame leg.

The cab is a lot less obvious but with speakers like that inside, alarm bells should be ringing. I've seen a few examples where the cab body is home made, and the baffle appears to be from a donor cab. I think that's what we have here. Daniel (lindstudios) has got one similar maybe he will chime in.

tomsvintage likes this.
  8. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Well-Known Member

Looks like they reversed the cloth since the 100 logo pins are on the upper right side instead of the upper left. Danger Will Robinson...RUN!

pulsonicsound, jmp45 and BygoneTones like this.
  9. BygoneTones

Yeah I hate seeing this stuff for sale. I know this cab was listed on reverb a few months ago and it got pulled fairly quickly. Now it's back up and the internal photos of the cab have been reduced in size so that you can't see the finer details like the speaker labels and the woodwork of the cab. Make your own decision about the sellers honesty.

Luckily I saved the photos from the 1st time he listed it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notice the wierd 'H' sticker on the labels.

I know there are fake 25w G12M labels around like this one, with 15 Ohm impedance when it should say 16 Ohm (only the 20w G12M labels say 15 Ohm):

[​IMG]

I'm guessing those 'G12H' on reverb probably have the same labels just with an 'H' put over the top of the 'M'.

One much smaller detail, speakers with the impedance stamped on the frame do not usually have Celestion labels on them.

tomsvintage, Dogs of Doom and DaDoc like this.
  10. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

Yeah, definitely sounds like a dishonest seller in this case..Or one who got ripped himself and is now trying to pass on his loss to someone else instead of simply putting it down as a learning experience..Still dishonest in either case though!

11. BygoneTones

Originally I think it was listed with an amp head too, maybe he sold that. Although I didn't save any amp photos apart from this one, so could be wrong about that:

[​IMG]

Notice the pinstripe material creeping into shot at the bottom right. Genuine?

12. Seanxk

Seanxk Well-Known Member

Very odd it looks too wide, with a 100 badge the spacing is approx 7 weave repeats, this is 10. Perhaps it's a Bass cloth and the middle hole is not showing, who knows but it's not looking good and those stamps look well dodgy.

13. Gene Ballzz

Thanks so much folks for sharing this "teachable" moment! I was initially impressed by the "cheese head" screws and now realize that may have been simply a smoke screen type of distraction!
    You Guys Are Fantastic!
    Gene

14. Scumback Speakers

1971 Bass Logo 4x12 gut shot.jpeg 1971 Bass Logo 4x12.jpeg I did a partial restoration on an old 71 Bass logo 4x12 years ago. It didn't have grill cloth when I got it, or the proper speakers or logos. Finished it back in January, 2006.

15. Gene Ballzz

NOICE! :applause:
    I see the plastic top cups. Were the handles also plastic, or still metal? If that was the original style grill cloth, truly a transitional box. My May '72 speaker dated box in post #14 of this thread
    https://www.marshallforum.com/threads/identity-of-1973-marshall-cab.121991/
    was fully "post transitional" except for no corner protectors!

This 1969 speakered box below is in dire need of restoration, as the corner joints are all loose (though not damaged) and the bottom has lost at least 1/16 inch to 1/8 inch, due to years of being dragged with no feet, wheels or glides. All metal handles and cups with three matching G12M/25 watt/75hz Pre Rola Greenbacks and one slightly different dated Waldom recone! I plan to send it to SCUMBACK Jim, when the time comes! I'd like to preserve the original cloth, if possible/practical!

My current proposed plan is to:
    A> Remove all hardware, rear panel and baffle
    B> Open all corner joints by 1/4" to 3/8"
    C> Pour well thinned wood glue (for extended open/work time) into all corners from the inside
    D> Clamp square and let dry/cure
    E> Turn cabinet upside down and make it perfectly level
    F> Creat a well sealed wall/dam all around the bottom, likely with tape and/or frame
    G> Then pour some nearly water thin expoxy resin to build that bttom back up
    H> After the epoxy cures, rout, sand and re-tolex the whole box and re-assemble​
    Any thoughts and/or suggestions on my plan would be appreciated! I suppose an alternative would be to mill/plane the existing cabinet bottom and glue a piece of 1/4" batic birch in place. The corners might be tough/tricky though. I've been hemming and hawing on this project for a couple years now!

IMG_1949.jpg

Sorry For The Thread Hijack, :rolleyes:
    Gene

16. Scumback Speakers

Gene, added the 71 Bass Logo cab gunshot in my previous post for you.

17. Gene Ballzz

Hey folks,
    Should I need to start a new thread to get any comments about my proposed restoration? I kind of assumed that @BygoneTones was a seasoned enough member to not be overly offended by my glomming on to this thread for some opinions? Certainly, if I start the actual resto process, there will be a new thread. And Jim @Scumback Speakers , thanks for that extra pic!

Thanks Folks,
    Gene

18. BygoneTones

Don't mind the thread hijack at all, but you'll get more advice in a separate thread. There are a few people on here that are into restoring cabs. I've got 4 in the garage myself that need doing. Was hoping to do them over the summer but doesn't look like that's happening.

19. BygoneTones

20. Gene Ballzz

A semi-carefully mounted flange for a microphone gooseneck and clip! I have two on my other 1960B that are mounted a bit differently and faciitate two mics for a split cabinet, wet/dry setup. I found the best way to run that setup was to supply two of my own SM57s, on an XLR "Y" cable and hand the end of that to the sound guy! That puts ME in cotrol of my effects blend! While a great wet/dry rig sounds fabulous, best way to do echo/delay, it's just "Too Much Monkey Business" at this stage of my life!
    Just Splittin'
    Gene

tomsvintage likes this.