Faber ABRN bridge..opinions...

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Adrian R, Oct 4, 2021.

1. Adrian R

Adrian R Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

My 95 LP's Nashville bridge is in need of replacement.

I have very little experience with ABRN bridges as all of my guitars came equipped with Nashville bridges.

Pros and cons of each? Faber gets decent reviews...but their a bit more pricey. TonePros is cheaper...but has good reviews too.

Faber also offers a conversion kit that allows me to use their posts of which will thread directly into the metal inserts on my guitar.

Any thoughts?

2. yladrd61

yladrd61 Well-Known Member

I recently installed the Faber bridge and locking tailpiece on my 2016 R9 LP it has a much more refined high and low frequency response and sounds absolutely fabulous when the guitar is plugged in. It will probably be even more of a noticeable improvement over the Nashville bridge.

WellBurnTheSky likes this.
  3. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

in for the learn.

4. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

somebody over at MLP inquired about this the other day-

Here's my (initial) response

That's my experience for 4 different Les Pauls (Trad, Tribute, Classic, SL50s Standard) and a 335. Bridges (locking and standard ABR), Tailpiece, TP studs, Screw in conversion bushings, and the iNsert posts.

I would recommend the Vintage length TP studs, and the screw in Nashville to ABR conversion bushings. I would not recommend the iNsert conversion posts because it is NOT an easy thing to switch back if you do not like it.

YMMV.

Here is the thread in question with more details. I am "JBash" over there- same avatar as here.

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/faber-bridge-post-made-my-lp-sound-drone-like.459938/

5. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

6. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Back in '15 when I got my '13 Traditional LP, even though I loved the guitar as a whole (especially the big chunky neck) I wasn't super happy with the Nashville bridge. My main issue was, if I lowered the tailpiece down to the point where strings wouldn't pop out of the saddle on occasion when I hit strings hard, strings were hitting the back of the bridge, causing weird overtones. So basically, for the way I wanted/needed the guitar setup, that bridge was too wide and forced me into a too shallow angle.

So I went and swapped both the tailpiece and bridge for the Faber locking set (figured getting the locking one would be cool, so it wouldn't fall off when I remove strings).
    It was a pretty easy job replacing everything, the manual is well laid out and clear, and everything fit perfectly.
    First reaction was, MASSIVE increase in sustain, the guitar also is quite a bit louder acoustically. As I was finally able to get a single point of contact between the string and bridge, intonation is much clearer, plus it stays in tune better (subsequently swapping the nut for a Graphtec Tusq one improved that further).
    Overall very happy with the Faber stuff, and with the LP as it is right now.

jmp45 and Eric'45 like this.
  7. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Yes, IMO you are making a very good choice with TP as or as @WellBurnTheSky suggests
    These things are an attributing piece of the tone puzzle. YMMV

8. Eric'45

Eric'45 Well-Known Member

I don't have experience with Faber Bridges in particular, but I generally prefer ABR1- Style Bridges over Nashvilles.
    As has been suggested before, you can lower your Tailpiece more before you hit the Back of the Bridge- and you get the option to Top-Wrap the Strings.

9. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I put a Tonepros abr1 on my SG the other year, works fine, it was like $40.

junk notes and jmp45 like this.
  10. Adrian R

Explain to me the disadvantages if the strings touch the back of the bridge? I actually prefer the stop bar elevated to a degree to enhance string bending ease. I can usually lift it to the point in where the strings are barely touching the back of the bridge...usually exposing one thread on the stop bar's post screw. I have noticed zero tone difference compared to the stop bar being pushed all the way down...only that the strings get tighter... (proper truss adjust too)

11. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

@Adrian R what did you decide to do bro?

12. Eric'45

It is clear that you have very different Taste than me;).
    I actually like the higher String tension, that is an advantage for me. I'm not shure, but Strings touching the Back of the Bridge can result in unwanted Harmonics/Vibrations which can eventually be heard through the Amp. I think it's possible that it would have a negative effect on sustain, too.
    I like my Tailpiece screwed all the way down.

Edgar Frog likes this.
  13. Adrian R

But yet I still don't understand. In my mind the string terminates sonically at the saddle. If not, how would a change the saddle position affect intonation? No one can answer this. This is why I think a string touching the back of a Nashville bridge should have zero effect on the guitar's sound.

14. Eric'45

I din't talk about Intonation.
    But a buzzing Sound occuring behind the Saddle can definitely be heard through the amp.
    You can test it out by strumming the Part of the Strings between the Saddle and the Tailpiece- you can hear that through your Amps Speakers.
    Or tap with your Fingertips on top of your Saddle or Tailpiece without touching any of your Strings- you hear it out of your Speakers.
    If you have rattling/buzzing/whatever unwanted noise here- you can hear it as well!

nickfox and junk notes like this.
  15. Adrian R

You know the weirdest thing is that I heard a buzzing sound while using a TP ABR1 on the high E which went away using a TP Nashville...

16. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

There is one huge advantage having your TP decked besides top-wrapping and tension.

Better energy transfer- When you have the TP studs screwed all the way in you are getting more energy/vibration transfer as the studs go deeper into the body of the guitar. If you have your Tailpiece way up, you have very little thread contact with the TP studs.. If you are using a modern Gibson with standard length TP studs, go grab some of the vintage length tailpiece studs and you will understand (whether modern day brass, or steel).

Eric'45 likes this.
  17. yladrd61

It will have the effect of reducing the sustain of the string as there is still some vibration between the saddle and the tail piece. Also screwing the tailpiece all the way down puts more stress on the bridge, I prefer to set the bottom of the tailpiece level with the bottom of the bridge thumbwheel, which results in almost the same beak angle as there is where the strings pass over the nut. I find it makes the guitar much more playable and it increases the sustain of the strings, by reducing the transfer of energy to the guitar body.

Eric'45 likes this.
  18. Adrian R

Using which bridge? Are the strings touch the back of the bridge in this arrangement?

19. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

found this; not sure if it has any connection?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  20. yladrd61

ABR-1 or Nashville, yes at the very least raise the tailpiece enough so that no strings touch the bridge.