Examples of 2203 tone?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by shredless, Jan 19, 2021.

1. shredless

shredless Well-Known Member

Im looking for bands, songs that have basic 2203 tone... Not modded or pedaled to death.

Plexi tone is easy to find, but not sure about 800 single channel

Thanks for you suggestions, vids are a plus!

Dean Swindell likes this.
  2. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

This is not a "band" setting, but this is one of the most accurate comparisons I've seen on youtube. Having owned both amps, this is pretty much what they sound like (IMO). If he had the one wire mod on his Power Brake, the 1959 would have more high end bite. Regardless, you'll notice that the 1959 sounds a bit fuller, which is spot on for a non-master vs master volume Marshall comparison.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  3. shredless

Those sound awful.... Hmmmmm

2203xman, Chris-in-LA and coolidge56 like this.
  4. lonewolfsx

lonewolfsx Well-Known Member

It's tough because those amps got really popular during an era where heavy processing, stereo effects, modding, and pedals really took off, so most examples I can think of had at least a boost pedal and usualy some other studio wizardry going on. Modding was so common after EVH hit the scene and lots of players so secretive about their mods or if they were modded at all it's really impossible to know. That's why web forums and clone builders exist 30-40 years later and we still can't agree on what an "800" or "modded 800" tone is haha.

Some obvious ones
    Zakk Wylde used a 2203 with a Boss SD-1 as a boost. I have this combo and its killer and not all that fancy.
    "Sports" by Huey Lewis I'm pretty sure is a 2203 or 2204 on the drive tones but there's some Fenders and pedals mixed in there so it's hard to say exactly what's what.
    "Play Deep" by Outfield was an 800 and a Schecter tele, but there's a lot of chorusing and such going on.
    Kerry King of Slayer used 800s but definitely boosted and multi-tracked.
    "Holy Diver" by Dio I'm pretty sure is a single channel 800
    "In My Dreams" by Dokken sure sounds like one to me too but definitely modded or boosted.
    A lot of the Smashing Pumpkins stuff is a fuzz pedal into an 800 2203 too, if you like that kind of tone.
    Suicidal Tendencies too
    And if we're talking JMP 2203's you can probably add some of those 70s hard rock bands in there too like Kiss, or even stuff like Sweet (definitely boosted though), or The Clash and that early punk stuff to

5. lonewolfsx

lonewolfsx Well-Known Member

Huh, my experience has been nearly the opposite of those tones. My 800 2203 sounds closer to his 1959, on the other hand I have a 1987x and I find it a bit thin while at the same time the bass is flubby if I try to compensate. If I had to guess, that 1959 he's demoing has had it's bright cap clipped, since he's plugged into only the bright channel and not jumpering the channels, yet it's not stabbing me in the ears like my 1987x does (not that I don't like my 1987x for other tones).

Another factor, and a bigger part of the sound than people give it credit for, are the speakers. Looks like that video he's using pretty modern 1960 cabs. I love my old cab loaded with '86 G12T75's, however I absolutely loathe the same amp head through the same cab loaded with more recent '14 G12T75's.

6. coolidge56

coolidge56 Well-Known Member Double Platinum Supporting Member

If he turned that 1959 down to 8.5 he'd get better tone.

7. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

Here’s a good representation of the range and what a 2204 sounds like. Give me a few minutes and I’ll find a good 2203 sample. I agree that the first video was horrible.

8. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Well, that goes to show, not everyone's perception is the same. What's interesting about this video, is that he's basically doing an "in the room" recording, not close mic'd, and it mirrors what I used to hear when A/Bing the 2 amps, except for one thing. My Power Brakes are modded, and don't kill the highs like his seems to (un-modded, I'm assuming).

9. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

Here’s a decent 2203 sound in a “band” setting.

10. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Ok that sounds good to me, and it sounds like a 800 to me,........but I’m listening on my phone speaker, soooo,....

Old Punker and shredless like this.
  11. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

I always think of the first couple Def Leppard albums as being "that" tone. At least thats what I built my 2204 to sound like because my TSL wouldnt do it.

12. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

AC/DC back in black is all 2203 from what I've read
    J

13. black knight

black knight Member

I think the early Def Leppard albums were actually 1959s? In any case here's a couple more examples:

14. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Schenker-era UFO is about the best example of a non-boosted 2204 in a rock setting. For 2203 cleans, Andy Summers on the first two Police albums.
    (also, Lynch on Dokken's In My Dreams is a mix of modded Super Tremolo, boosted Plexi and Hiwatt, according to both Lynch himself and Michael Wagener).
    Viv Campbell on Holy Diver is a Les Paul into a 2203 too, as is Jake E Lee on BATM (watch the US Festival concert, couple of 2203s, pair of PCM42s, done).

matttornado, V-man and tce63 like this.
  15. StingRay85

StingRay85 Well-Known Member

William Mecum from K2B mentioned that he plugs his Les Paul straight into the amp (2203 or 2204). Cab loaded with G12T75s

I admire his dedication to keep things real. No vocals. No effects. Just ball breaking riffs and rocking out on the classic Marshall-LP combo. Seen them at least 6-7 times live, always up for it, some of the best rock gigs I've seen in the stoner rock genre. Sometimes even without PA, just micing the drums and blasting from their stacks for a few 100 people

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    shredless likes this.
  16. shredless

Hmmm, this is the tone lm after...you say you built yours to do it.
    Can you tell what you did to the circuit to get that tone? Was it elaborate or just some tweaks to the first stages?
    Ive been back and forth on mods but cant seem to find that magic combo.
    Thanks!

17. StingRay85

StingRay85 Well-Known Member

Only knew Def Leppard by name but that sure was a nice song and great, I mean really great tone. But surely there are also a lot of effects (or mastering, whatever you call it I'm not a sound engineer) present in his sound (not saying that's a bad thing, it's just more than just the amp), and surely not cranking up the gain too much.

18. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

2204 /2203 800’s do ac/dc for sure , but don’t expect much more gain wise without boosting the shit out of them .

19. CROWEMAG

CROWEMAG Well-Known Member

You should not need to mod your 800 to get that tone for sure. A stock unit will get you there.

FogDweller, anitoli and shredless like this.
  20. nickfox

nickfox Well-Known Member

Here is Judas Priest at the US festival in 1983. I was there! They are rocking a wall of 2203 full stacks. You can see that only two of the full stacks are mic-ed. One for Glenn and one for K.K. If you go to 24:05 in the video, you can see Glenn Tipton walking back to his amp to make sure it's on!

I can only imagine how loud it must have been on that stage for a full stack 2203 to get lost in the mix...

My ears were ringing for days after that concert...

EDIT: changed 2204 to 2203...

n

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021