>

Evh 5150 Od Or Be Od ?

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Sickriverlespaul, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Sickriverlespaul

Sickriverlespaul Active Member

Opinions about a good overdrive for a JVM 205h. Thanks

2. dreyn77

dreyn77 Well-Known Member

The way I view the 5150 overdrive pedal is for use with a JMP amp and the EVH guitar and the EVH cab.

If you want some different sounds from your JVM, Gibson is in the business to sell more guitars instead of pedals, so, just get another model Gibson guitar and you'll be happy. :)

I don't think the EVH pedal and other brand guitars is a good idea. Once you know how custom the EVH guitar actually is, then you wouldn't go buy a JVM to play with it, cause those guitar pickups, need the EVH pedal to make their EVH tone.
    Good luck!

3. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

Neither of them really excel at pushing an already driven amp.
    There's a crap ton of clean boosting OD's out there on the market that do it better.

Those two pedals were designed for a really clean amp as a platform to do their thing.
    Which is mimic the dirt channel of the respective amps they are named after.

Dmann likes this.
  4. Ed Hunter

Ed Hunter Well-Known Member

I owuld not use either of those two for that purpose. those two are best for being the main source of gain.
    You are better off with a tube screamer type pedal for a JVM

5. HOT TUBES 70

HOT TUBES 70 Well-Known Member

I know a guy who could hook you up with a really nice OD .... you'd love it !!

lol

Coronado and dslman like this.
  6. dslman

dslman Well-Known Member

I view both as distortion pedals, suited for a clean amp/channel.

7. Coronado

Coronado Well-Known Member

I have the BE and if you wanted to use it with the JVM, I would recommend using it with the clean channel (or turn your gain way, way down). I have used it with my JVM1h through a 4x12 on the clean channel and it sounds great. I wouldn't attempt the pedal with the amps gain as it would just be over the top fuzz and hiss. On my JCM800, you can add just a tad of volume with the BE - any more than that would be too much. With my JMP, it sounds amazing. DSL on the green channel (classic), its great. I would have to agree that its better for clean amps/channels, or if you turn the gain way down on your amp. The BE has an internal gain 3 way switch - I keep mine in the middle position. You might try switching it to its lowest setting?

8. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands Well-Known Member

Have you tried it in the FX loop? I'm curious as to how it sounds completely uncolored by a preamp.

9. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Serious? You need an OD pedal for a JVM? 2 channels with 3 modes each, its got everything you need built in no?

10. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands Well-Known Member

And unless you're going for a super-duper chuggy/djent tone, it doesn't even need a clean boost. It's a tight and bright amp on it's own.