>

Everyone have experience repairing Suhr pedals?

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by CroTone, May 8, 2021.

1. CroTone

CroTone Active Member

Long story short, I have a Suhr Shiba Drive (first version) that works fine in all aspects except the middle 3-way toggle "smooth" switch that does not work.
    I had some free time on my hands, went on to unscrew the back of the pedal to come to the switch and see if it would need some soldering or some other work, however, this pedal has very weird layout and it seems that the switch is very hard to access.
    It is made in a sort of 2-level PCB fashion.
    Since I don't know if the upper PCB can be safely removed, I did not proceed with doing anything.

Anybody had similar issues or managed to get this top PCB off to access the toggle switch?

[​IMG]

2. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Seems to be relay-based switching, which is consistent with the ability to switch it on/off from the jack input at the top of the pedal. From what I've read the soft touch 1- or 2-poles switches it uses are less prone to failure than your average 3PDT (they're less noisy too). I'd guess the main PCB holds both the FX circuit itself and the switching circuit. I/O jacks look to be handwired and pots soldered to the PCB (as is more and more often the case, even in the DIY world).
    Chances are, to disassemble it you'll need to remove the knobs, then dismount all pots and switches, and then remove the whole assembly from the box as a whole. Unsure you'll be able to find a replacement switch at a reasonable price though.
    Good luck !

3. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

just send it in for repairs.

jimmyjames likes this.
  4. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Certified B.S. Launcher Double Platinum Supporting Member

..... and a beautiful ray of sunlight burst through the clouds....

:cheers:

jimmyjames and ricksdisconnected like this.
  5. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

im good like that sometimes.

6. CroTone

CroTone Active Member

Thanks for the explanation. Based on what you wrote and how this thing looks to me...I decided to not bother with it! The pedal does what it is supposed to do, can't get some extra flavor from it based on the malfunctioning switch but I don't think it is worthy of a hassle. Cheers!

WellBurnTheSky likes this.