Ever start a project then drop it?

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by Sapient, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Sapient

Sapient Well-Known Member

A few months ago I modded my 800 head to have more gain. It's been sitting for two months and I have no interest in putting it back together. I wish I could click my fingers and make it go away.

Ever have this happen?

_Steve likes this.
  2. _Steve

_Steve Member

I have a lot of thoughts about this but I'll post them later

;)

Drinkingdeath01 likes this.
  3. thetragichero

thetragichero Well-Known Member

i have so many friggin projects start one, start another, et cetera

4. RickyLee

RickyLee Well-Known Member VIP Member

Yeah, can relate to this one. And it mainly got worse here this year after being home with health/injury issues. I thin I have at least three unfinished projects going.

Some of mine relates to the physical aspect of most of these darn projects being heavy and the issue of moving them around and such. And I do not have a dedicated work shop to be able to leave stuff out for easy access to get back day after day.

Then there is that big let down aspect. I would start something, like that Boogie MKIIC+ build I undertook. The projects do not sound like I am expecting and I start losing interest big time. Tweaking upon tweaking and the sound just not going where I want it to. I think some of this latter is due to not playing in a band these days. My tone expectations are getting too high and I can not test my stuff in a band setting now.

I even had my old DSL100 out awhile back, the one i did extensive mods on around 9 years ago and had it sounding absolutely awesome. Well, it just sounds OK to me now lol . . . .

5. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

put it back together dude ,it's not nice to leave a marshall jcm 800 like that

6. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

Procrastination is my middle name. :drunk:

7. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

that´s why I just start one project at a time.

8. Geeze

Geeze Well-Known Member

I will have several in work and a few waiting for their turn. If I'm not motivated or better, inspired I don't do it. This is supposed to be a hobby / passion not a job. I've killed one passion by making it a job and don't have much intention of slitting the throat on another.

I look at what I do as a learning experiment and I have joy [most of the time] during the journey and pride of accomplishment when finished. I'm not in a hurry and it will be OK - most days I actually believe that...

Go smell the roses. kiss the girl or go skydiving [ you pick ] and let inspiration come to you.

Russ

9. myersbw

myersbw Well-Known Member

Yep! I have "all the stuff"...for about three projects. And, I want to finish, but my job (technology director at a university) is now in peak overdrive since isolation has started. I SO want it to be normal so I can work on fun stuff again! LOL

10. Sapient

Sapient Well-Known Member

Well, al least I'm not alone. Good. I really thought I might get bitched out. Lol.

11. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

Several of my girlfriends were referred to as "projects"......................

Drinkingdeath01 and Sapient like this.
  12. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Just finished my soldano 50 and starting to test it . Started this several yours ago . If it works out build a 100 watt

13. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

I think some of this has to do with getting old, it becomes harder and harder to work up the enthusiasm or energy to do certain things. Sometimes when I get bogged down with a big project I do little projects while I try to figure out how to finish the big project.

14. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

aww crap, sorry to hear that. JCM mojo sent.

15. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

I had a dozen amp projects lined up (slowly acquired the parts) and, just as lockdown happened I had virtually all the parts.
    With none of my planned trips allowed, with no rehearsals or gigs all my excuses disappeared. I only have the tweaking of my Princeton/DFDR hybrid to do and reassemble the 45/100 when one of the OTs gets back from Marstran and I am clear. Then there will be no excuses for not practising guitar or piano properly!

16. RickyLee

Yes, getting old . . . . I agree with that one big time. Me and the Gal, now into our 50's, was discussing the aging thing and how time has just been slipping away so fast these last few years. Crap, the last 10 years just seems a blur man.

And then this year has been tough. And I am sure many on this planet agree with this being a tough year no doubt. When my bass player passed away at the end of last year, it hit me like a ton of bricks. All those years of our band going out and playing shows, parties and such was all just memories now. Gone. No longer something that was just so automatic on a regular basis for over 20 years. The things we take for granted . . . . . . .

anitoli likes this.
  17. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

My condolences Ricky.

18. RickyLee

Thanks.

My buddy lived a great life. He was quite the character for sure. When they say "he was so full of life", yeah that was Tim.

Nothing lasts forever. Enjoy what you got . . . . while you have it!

19. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

Sometimes I carefully craft a witty post; full of double-entendres, and then I read it back to myself, realizing what an ass I am, and then delete it all, never to be posted.

Kinda the same, kinda not