Essential Pedals. What's Yours?

Deftone

Reaction score
isnt that just pedals setting on a case?
Yes? Not sure what you mean.

*EDIT* It's sort of a wedge case I built to hold pedals on top and have storage inside. The top is hinged and there's a power supply inside. I keep picks and patch cables and stuff like that in there.

Capture.JPG

Actually, this was just supposed to be a mock up I built with scrap wood, but it worked fine so I just went with it.

The mini board is just a piece of diamond plate with a couple of pieces of wood to hold it up at an angle. It's got a VooDoo PP2 bolted to the underside as well.

Both boards have the pedals affixed with velcro. Hope that answers the question.

Last edited:

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a Caline Englishman that really gets you in the Plexi ballpark for a pedal. Sounds insane through my DSL. Best $30 bucks I’ve dropped in a while.

Regarding this thread, I could easily get by with no effects at all and just go straight into the amp. But, I wouldn’t mind the Englishman grouped with an TS, eq, chorus and delay…
:nutkick:
Sounds like another pedal I need to look at ,, thanks

Mitch

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
I've skimmed way back. Overdrive, a Boss MD-500 and a simple delay. Tuner last, I like shutting everything down. I'm adding a TC Electronic Polytune 3 to the front end for a buffer and always on tuner. The overdrive changes a lot; Red Llama, 250 Farm Double Boost/Drive and these days a Lansbury Toy Robot. The delay changes from a Digitech Obscura to a Catalinbread Adineko or Echo Rec from time to time, but it's the same deal. No desire for anything else these days.

Dale Faulkner

Reaction score
A noise gate.

I tried a Boss NS-2 to begin with but I think I got a duff.
It produced a volume drop when engaged and using the in-built loop was a volume squelch disaster.
Replaced it with an up-front TC Sentry and it's here to stay.
The Zoom MS-70CDR at the back end of the chain has one too.
They make chugging a dream.

View attachment 106663
Love the Boss RC3. A permanent fixture on my board!!

siege

Reaction score
Organizing my board tonight for jams this weekend had me thinking what I ultimately COULDN'T do without.

Following pedals are exclusive for my board in to ANY of my amps:

1.) Boss SD-1 - the absolute best pedal to tighten any amp solo or perfectly drive any other pedal in to perfection. Desert island pedal - never leave home without one...in your pocket.

2.) Wampler Tumnus - the next best thing to an SD-1..and boy do they compliment each other when running in tandem. It's the FATTEST, SWEETEST tone in to a clean amp ( preferably a Fender clean channel).

3.) RAT II - What's to say? The RAT is dirty and absolutely as gnarly as you want it. Do you think it's flat and loose driving your amp? We all did too, but put a clean boost ( Boss SD-1) before it and tighten it up!! Hidden gem duo.

4.) ISP Decimator - when running ODs and boosts, this pedal does such a FANTASTIC job at keeping your rhythm tones tight and focused. I feel like this pedal is completely underrated. Added noises or hiss, this pedal will be your best friend. I've run my board on a OneSpot for years and don't have that problem but the Decimator adds a promising secondary backup.

5.) TC Spark Mini - THIS magical pixie dust of a unit will add the most SUGARY boost to your ODs. This pedal might even make you feel guilty the minute you turn it off. It has the notion to make you feel like you're missing something the minute your turn it off.

6.) TC Nova Repeater - all the years of delays, verbs and chorus units have come and gone but this pedal has given me EXACTLY what I've been looking for in ONE pedal. TC has always been on my radar since their rack days. This pedal has been on my board for a good 12+ years and continues to hold it's own through ALL the the "top" units produced today. It runs flawlessly still!

Welp, there's my pick. You can feel free to share yours. Don't feel shy if it's even one pedal - I've been there! We've all started off from somewhere and built to here.

Happy Sharing!
so a country band…like shaking the country. like it

Ricky610

Reaction score
Organizing my board tonight for jams this weekend had me thinking what I ultimately COULDN'T do without.

Following pedals are exclusive for my board in to ANY of my amps:

1.) Boss SD-1 - the absolute best pedal to tighten any amp solo or perfectly drive any other pedal in to perfection. Desert island pedal - never leave home without one...in your pocket.

2.) Wampler Tumnus - the next best thing to an SD-1..and boy do they compliment each other when running in tandem. It's the FATTEST, SWEETEST tone in to a clean amp ( preferably a Fender clean channel).

3.) RAT II - What's to say? The RAT is dirty and absolutely as gnarly as you want it. Do you think it's flat and loose driving your amp? We all did too, but put a clean boost ( Boss SD-1) before it and tighten it up!! Hidden gem duo.

4.) ISP Decimator - when running ODs and boosts, this pedal does such a FANTASTIC job at keeping your rhythm tones tight and focused. I feel like this pedal is completely underrated. Added noises or hiss, this pedal will be your best friend. I've run my board on a OneSpot for years and don't have that problem but the Decimator adds a promising secondary backup.

5.) TC Spark Mini - THIS magical pixie dust of a unit will add the most SUGARY boost to your ODs. This pedal might even make you feel guilty the minute you turn it off. It has the notion to make you feel like you're missing something the minute your turn it off.

6.) TC Nova Repeater - all the years of delays, verbs and chorus units have come and gone but this pedal has given me EXACTLY what I've been looking for in ONE pedal. TC has always been on my radar since their rack days. This pedal has been on my board for a good 12+ years and continues to hold it's own through ALL the the "top" units produced today. It runs flawlessly still!

Welp, there's my pick. You can feel free to share yours. Don't feel shy if it's even one pedal - I've been there! We've all started off from somewhere and built to here.

Happy Sharing!
I only use 3 pedals with my Deluxe Reverb . I use an antique DOD delay to color my tone and provide depth , my boost pedal is a clone of The Klon Centaur, and I use a UA Dream 65 for the tonal qualities it has built into it. So there you have it. I'm from the old school of thought where less is more.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
I'm looking to add other things but...

*Ibanez Tube Screamer mini. I'm not sure you can beat this pedal. It's kicked several more expensive pedals off the board. I've owned it at least 3x. Cheap on the used market as well. Most of the more expensive stuff isn't worth the premium over it. Been there, done that.

* Korg Pitchblack Tuner. A robust pedal that tracks very quickly. You can't see a tuner pedal from the back row, but if it aint there..you'll know it lol

*ISP Decimator. These are essential noise gates that work. Buy used for an even better deal. I've used more expensive gates. Waste of money. Much like the TS mini, I've owned the ISP Decimator at least 3x. Went back to it because I have never had any issue with one and it doesn't chop the high end off like lots of others do.

Raimo

Reaction score
I use a Boss MS-3 for delays and mod. The drivepedals are:

1. Boss blues driver
2. Carl Martin plexidrive
3. ibanez Tibescreamer TS-9 for drive the other pedals. No gain, volume on max.

Jamil Ecrire

Reaction score
Compressor > OD (bluesbreaker is my fav, SD-1/ODR-C/TS-808/Klone/etc are good too, rotate like 30-40 of them easily, went down the rabbit hole)

That's it.

Neptical

Reaction score
So there you have it. I'm from the old school of thought where less is more
Much respect on that. I'm a big fan of simplicity - but feel like my only splurge is really trying out a few pedals here and there. However, I'm getting pretty close to done on those as well.

Looking to get an EQ pedal but really only the Rat, SD-1 and a Crybaby.
One of THEE most useful tools on the market is the EQ. Grab one and fine the best tones you never knew you had. Other than that, your other pedals are the best. 🤟

The minimalist! Gets the job done in spades. Desert island pedal for me.

SD1, EQ, The drop, some delay

The main staples. That's all you need!