***Essential Pedals. What's yours?***

matttornado

Reaction score
I'm not much of a pedal guy but when playing live, All I need is a tuner, a boost (MXR mini Boost) for leads and a delay. I'm currently looking for a new analog delay. Modulation sometimes if I'm in the mood - maybe an MXR Phase 90 or Boss Chorus.

saxon68

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Digitech drop.

Edit: Im surprised nobody else listed this. I used to have to bring 3-4 guitars to a gig to cover the songs we did, now I take 2, tuned the same. One with and one without floyd, and really just in case I break a string. Only happened once on stage, but Ill never chance that again.

Last edited:

1234_thumbwar

Reaction score
Honestly the only pedal I regularly use is just a strobostomp hd. I used to use the buffer in it to keep the highs on my guitars but now I use it in true bypass to knock the highs off. A strat and tele can sound bright through an SV20

All the gain I need comes from the amp. Sometimes Ill also use a ditto x2 looper to try and come up with chord progressions to play over and make myself play in time better but typically Ive only got the strobostomp for tuning and losing a bit of high end.

I used to use an MXR 10 band EQ and I think Ill have a purpose for it again if I ever want to scoop mids for a more metal sound but I originally used it for a mid boost and to add a bit of sparkle above 2k or so

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
Great questions! Ask 100 guitarists and you'll get 100 answers. In studio or home settings, there are endless combinations of effects. In live or even loud practice situations, though, many nuances get lost, so at some point it dawned on me that with pedals, there are many variations on three basic themes: distortion (including fuzz, drive, overdrive, and such), time- and pitch-modulation devices (chorus, phaser, flanger, octavers, shifters, and harmonizers), and time-delay devices (such as echo, delay, and reverb). Unless you're being mixed by a professional sound engineer, most subtle effects will simply get lost in the mix. Never been a big fan of dynamic or filter effect pedals, such as volume, wah, compressor, or EQ, so don't use these. A good, reliable tuner is, of course a must. All that said, and please feel free to disagree, my pedals are all Boss Waza analog ones: delay and chorus run through the effects loop of a DSL40CR and an Blues Driver run straight into the amp. Tuner can go anywhere and works as a great mute pedal. What think, gearheads?

Mr. Natural

Reaction score
I like the EH Holy Grail nano for reverb. I like the fuzz from the ZVEX Woolly Mammoth 7. I've got a few OD pedals, but my favorite is the Blackstone Appliances Mosfet OD.

OK, now I have "a few OD pedals" PLUS one new one. I just got a Mythos Pedals Mjolnir OD. I'm really liking it. It's different than the Blackstone, but I like them both.

Scallywag77

Reaction score
Update to my earlier post. These are now my go to

1ED26CA8-D01A-444A-8E5D-08B1F75EFBEC.jpeg
. The JHS Screamer is great. With the switch down its TS9/808 but up the clipping is asymmetrical like a SD1. A two in one pedal.