Tunas:
Peterson StroboPlus

Noise Gates:
ISP Decimator

Switching:
Radial Switchbone V2

Neptical

Reaction score
Rimrock Mythical Overdrive. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to replace it with something better/ pricier/ cooler/ more exotic. Every single time I come back to my Mythical Overdrive, probably the most dynamic pedal on my board.

Right on! The Mythical OD has really been the only other klone I've been interested in after my Tumnus. I absolutely love the Tumnus!

Derek S

Reaction score
I'm not a big effects guy so what few pedals I have are all essential lol, maybe I could live without the compressor but otherwise I need these for what I like to do.

The Axe FX III is not a pedal but it did kick a couple of ancient rack units into storage - so for coloring and other cool effects alone, it has become essential as well (although I'm recording lead/dry tones with it too, bass also, such an amazing box of tones).

My entire pedal "collection":

Pedals.jpg

Eric'45

Reaction score
I find it hilarious that some consider a list of 5+ pedals as essential.
But OK, I'm a Purist and could easily live without any Pedal at all. If I could have only one, it would be the Naga Viper Treble Booster. I sometimes use an Echoplex- type Delay and a Phase 90, for Playing alone I use a very subtle Reverb. But that's it, the few other Pedals I own are just gathering Dúst.

Last edited:

jeffb

Reaction score
I thought about this thread for a few days.

In reality, NO pedals are essential for my guitar tone. I'm a guitar>strings>pickups>cable>amp guy. I should be able to get my jollies on just that alone. That's my sound. I just need a volume boost for a solo, or roll up the volume control on my guitar.

BUT....

I do like some pedals for color, and I'd rather have them than not. They are:

An analog phaser- I prefer the maestrophase tonality, and I use a Heptode Virtuoso which is a maestrophase clone.

An analog chorus- I prefer a Boss CE1 above all else, but I get by with my little yellow MXR Micro Chorus and find little to complain about with it.

A really good tape echo sim. I prefer the Catalinbread Belle Epoch for tones, but mine is damaged, and frankly it's a beast to dial in. I've used a TC mini delay with an EP3 toneprint for years, but I need to replace. Switch is iffy.

A good boost pedal- I've yet to find one that does exactly what I want. When I was younger it was OD pedals, TS, SD1, etc. In recent years it has been "more of the same" pedals- i.e. clean boosts, echoplex type pre, etc. But what I've always wanted was a great distortion box. Some kind of ultimate Rat/DS1/D+ that would track/be articulate enough for leads and not fart out on the low strings, but sound huge for doublestops and chords.

Last edited:

Len

Reaction score
Delay - Vapor Trail or Carbon Copy
Mod - CE-2w or Virtuoso
OD - Modified Badass OD or SD-1w
Tuner - TurboTuner

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
A Fuzz and a vintage voiced Wah.

These days I am also in love with my Bad Monkey 🐒 so I'll upgrade the 🐒 to essential but that's just kinda for when I can't push the amp when the damn neighbor is home... Who do they think they are? Good thing they are only home 2 or 3 days a week! I swear.... Wonder where they go for often? 🤔