Eric Clapton and Marshall

ITburst

Reaction score
Funny thing for me is I don’t really recall who the LP players were, and I’m a huge LP fan. (3 Gibson, 1 Strat) But I can never look at a Strat without thinking about Hendrix and his stacks.
I think there were so many Gibson Les Paul players that perhaps it all blends into one but for some reason Hendrix sticks out for me. And of course all those memories of which ever guitar, had Marshall’s attached to them.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
come on @AlvisX tell us what you know on this guy and his son. i know you know something.

My name is Schultz....I know nutzing ....
I know Luther really didn't get much recognition until he was about ready to die ,then they loved him
I met Bernard a couple times, nice guy . I follow him on the Instgrams

El Gringo

Reaction score
It's the combination, the ingredients, the perfect storm.

I honestly don't think Clapton when I think of Marshall and vice versa... Yes Clapton's use of the Bluesbreaker combo is legendary and an integral part of the Marshall story. It was one of many blasts to propel Marshall's into legendary status... I'd say Pete, Eric got the ball rolling but it really blasted off once Hendrix showed up with them.
Also Jimmy Page

BlueX

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quite a playlist you added in this thread @AlvisX , and others added also of course!

Music is a community: everyone borrows, learn, develops, and lends (although there is some not so nice stealing, as well).

Sister Rosetta
Doc Watson
Link Wray
John Lee Hooker
Carl Perkins
Muddy Waters
Howlin Wolf's band
Freddie King
Buddy Guy

Stills with a '54 March '67

Keef 1965 w/ sunburst

The Norwegian backline company checkin out the Beano album ?

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
My name is Schultz....I know nutzing ....
I know Luther really didn't get much recognition until he was about ready to die ,then they loved him
I met Bernard a couple times, nice guy . I follow him on the Instgrams
damn shame how that happened too. i like both of them.

Derrick111

Reaction score
I feel bad for the youngsters/future readers who stumble upon this thread because they will see a lot of confusing, inaccurate detail and speculation claimed by people who weren't there. Even Ken Underwood jumped in an cautioned against claims in this thread.

jeffb

Reaction score
I feel bad for the youngsters/future readers who stumble upon this thread because they will see a lot of confusing, inaccurate detail and speculation claimed by people who weren't there. Even Ken Underwood jumped in an cautioned against claims in this thread.

Much of this entire forum is opinions, including this thread and what Clapton was or wasn't to Marshall's success.

If there are facts from Ken or anyone else who was there, I wish they would share them so we all can be educated, instead of "cautioned" as you put it.

Paul Redmond

Reaction score
This isn't brought up much, but I think the Stones would have sounded much better with Marshalls instead of Ampegs during tours between '69 - '76. I've tried Ampegs from that era and I have Marshalls of that era so I know from personal experiece that Marshalls smoke Ampegs. How and why did they end up using Ampegs, it might have been something as simple as Ampeg offering to provide them free along with a roadie to maintain them....they were lead wallets to be simple.

djd100

Reaction score
Mike Bloomfield is the person that propelled the Les Paul into the Rock scene, and Clapton and Keith Richards took the lead from Bloomfield. Bloomfield was an accomplished Blues guitarist and one of the most respected guitarists of his time.

He’s the person who really brought the Les Paul guitar to the forefront and Clapton and others followed. It was virtually the same scenario as what Hendrix did for the Stratocaster.

Hendrix became popular in England before he did in the US, and the word got around the Rock scene that Jimi Hendrix was doing things with a guitar that had never been done before!

All the great Rock guitarists went to see him live and they were all completely blown away. So what was the result,… many of them followed his lead and started playing Strats, Clapton, Beck, are two examples, and there were many others.

So in my mind, Bloomfield is the first well known Blues/Rock guitar player to use a Les Paul, and he influenced others att because he was the guitarist others wanted to emulate.

As far as your Marshall theory, I agree that Clapton was one of the earliest Marshall amp user, circa 1962. I also think Hendrix was very much involved in raising the attention of other guitarists to Marshall amps

Although Clapton was using Marshall amps a couple of years sooner than Hendrix, Clapton’s use of a Bluesbreaker amp on the “Beano” album in 1966 was a turning point. That was the same year, 1966, that Hendrix was on the scene in London playing Marshall full stacks.

Hendrix, in London, made a HUGE impression on the guitarists that went to see him, everyone was completely blown away with his guitar playing.

Hendrix had a hard time here in the US, in the very beginning, so when Chas Chandler, (bassist for the Animals), saw him in Greenwich Village, he immediately made arrangements to bring Hendrix to England.

Hendrix was a huge sensation in England, and he returned to the US in 1967. That same year he played the Monterey Pop Festival with his two Marshall stacks. That appearance skyrocketed Hendrix to fame, the rest is history. :cool:
Agreed, though Bloomfield, Clapton, Green, Beck, Taylor etc, and most notably Keith Richards saw pictures of Freddie King/Muddy Waters/John Lee Hooker holding early 50's Goldtop LP's with P90's, which got them interested in LP's.

Note the Keith Richards was the first UK rock star to use a LP in the UK back then, as he brought one back from the US after the first US Stones tour.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
This isn't brought up much, but I think the Stones would have sounded much better with Marshalls instead of Ampegs during tours between '69 - '76. I've tried Ampegs from that era and I have Marshalls of that era so I know from personal experiece that Marshalls smoke Ampegs. How and why did they end up using Ampegs, it might have been something as simple as Ampeg offering to provide them free along with a roadie to maintain them....they were lead wallets to be simple.
what!

Latest posts