Eq in the effects loop

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by chromeboy, Aug 12, 2020.

1. chromeboy

chromeboy Well-Known Member

I was just thinking about adding a boss 7bamd eq on my pedalboard. I've heard that the best place to put it would be in the effects loop. I used an eq maybe 20 years ago but don't remember running it in the loop. So here is my question for you guys. I am already running my chorus and my delay in the loop so if I was to add an eq, would I put it before the chorus and delay or after in the loop and why?
    I figured you guys would know.
    Thanks.

dptone5 likes this.
  2. jstich

jstich Well-Known Member

I usually put my eq after my dirt/drive box which is usually a stomper for me.

3. Trumpet Rider

Trumpet Rider Well-Known Member

I have my EQ dead last in line in the loop. It just makes sense to me to put EQ after everything else so that it has the final word on the overall tone.

4. The Dose of Harmony

The Dose of Harmony Well-Known Member

Ok!!

you have to experiment , I have found that in my application the Eq pedal goes first on my FX loop and be prepare you will be able to shape a lot !
    I have a delay , chorus and reverb and and i can a affect the whole chain just bit just by boosting or cutting a just a little i would avoid doing extremes on a eq pedal!

I found this video very usefull

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...559EC30A160C728E087C559&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

5. dptone5

dptone5 Well-Known Member

I have the Boss EQ last in my loop. Works terrific as a solo boost and tone shaper. The Boss can be noisy. I have the Monte Allums modded GE-7. Whisper quiet.

if you play with your amp cranked, the volume boost will be less noticeable.

6. The Dose of Harmony

can you tell more about that mod on the eq?

dptone5 likes this.
  7. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

I use one (Boss GE-7 and now the Source Audio Programmable EQ on my main board), and put it early in the FX loop. I use it as a lead volume boost plus some tone shaping (shaving off some lows and top end and boosting mids a tad).
    My rationale behind that is, I want chorus/delay/reverb to effect a "finished" tone, so all tone shaping is done before hitting these effects.
    Also, specifically for delay/reverb tails, I want them to "follow" the boost: if I hit a note then turn on the EQ, delay tails will be at the volume they were before I hit the volume boost, while if the volume boost was after the delay when I turn the EQ delay trails would jump up in volume, which I don't want. Plus trails would also be effected by EQ changes and sound different.
    So yeah, EQ > delay (and reverb, but I don't use reverb in my guitar rig) for me.

8. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member

There's no right or wrong answer to this. Experiment and do whatever makes your ears happy.

Do you want to EQ your chorus and delay tone? Put it after them.

Do you want to add chorus and delay to your EQ-shaped amp tone? Put it before them.

Sustainium likes this.
  9. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

you can also change the OPAMPS in your GE7 for a quieter operation. I did it in mine and works GREAT. the only downside is battery consumption, but I'm hooked on a AC adapter anyway.

I have a GE7 in my loop and it is GREAT for tone shaping!

10. The Dose of Harmony

Man you just put in words exactly how i do it too!

11. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

BINGO.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  12. Vesperado

Vesperado Member

Cutting noise on an EQ is quite simple, run it off a battery or an isolated power supply which is grounded well. Doesn't hurt to reflow your solder contacts to get rid of any inherent noise. If it clips too much, open it up and check the opamp datasheet and the polarized cap ratings. If you can run the pedal at the highest safe voltage you will get more headroom, which translates to less clipping. I have some which do fine at 15V. I haven't tried running it in the loop yet, I usually just run the Biyang (4x 4558D) or the Yamaha (single 4559) strait into the front as a boost pedal (9V) unless I need to cut some annoying frequency somewhere before the amp, then its max voltage (15V) to avoid any clipping/coloring. If your particular EQ has low-rated caps but the opamp(s) can handle a higher voltage, perhaps changing out the caps for higher rated ones will provide for some additional headroom. A thought.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  13. mad5066

mad5066 Well-Known Member

There's no right or wrong way technically, it's just a matter of what you're looking for. If you don't want your delay or reverb or modulation effects altered by the eq put the eq before them. If you do want to have them eq'd as well then put it last. I would recommend try both, experiment, and see what works best for you.

14. dptone5

I really don't know the technical aspects of the mod, but here is a link. The second mod is the one I got for my GE-7. It really did make an amazing difference. Good luck!

https://www.monteallums.com/pedal_mods_GE7.html

15. ricksdisconnected

16. dptone5

Hey Rick. I didn't do the mod myself. I sent my GE-7 directly to Monte Allums and he modded it for me.

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  17. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

I have a GE-7 in my FX loop on both my pedalboards

18. ricksdisconnected

was it expensive?

dptone5 likes this.
  19. Barfly

Barfly Well-Known Member

I have a "Sniper" modded GE-7 in the loop. Modded to shut it the heck up. Works nice. I got it modded by someone eon some forum years ago. I honestly can't remember but he called his "company" sniper. I think his ex wife wanted a piece of the pie or something and he stopped modding.

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  20. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I've been running an Alesis DEQ-230 digital 1/3 octave (31 band) equalizer in my loop for years. Before using this model EQ, I used other 31 band EQs in the loop.

It's a precision tone shaping tool that if used properly can be used to tweak your tone to absolute perfection.

Look at all the Bradshaw racks used by all the 80s hair metal players. They always had two or three 1/3 octave graphic EQs in the rack. That was their tone shaping tool
    that gave them their distinctive sounds. The EQ is every bit as important to the tone as all the other effects combined.

dptone5 and ricksdisconnected like this.