Epiphone Les Pauls from China

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
As for Epi’s made in china I have one, with a JB in the bridge, it is a bit darker than my Gibsons, but it screams heavy..
My favorite Epi LP was a Korean build, but I sold it[url=https://postimg.cc/HrVYRXFC] [/URL]
This one never got a pickup change, or much else, but strings.
Cheers

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the difference would be between Hand-Crafted and Made, but OK. For 499 I might have taken one of them home, to be fair. On the other hand, I'd rather get something decent enough to properly scratch the itch, otherwise it just keeps coming back and you end up with varying degrees of not-quite-it. Not trying to knock your guitar, though - what works, works!

Oh come on now, everyone knows that Hand-Crafted is WAY better than just Made. lol that's just what it says on the back of the headstock, so I put it in my comment on purpose.

And no, it's definitely not the top of the line guitar, but nor is it priced as such either. If someone is looking for a guitar in the [Hundreds] instead of the [Thousands], this thing is second to none.

I guess the one thing that could be considered noticeably lacking on my Epi is the neck pickup; it's pretty much just mud. But I don't think I've ever used it anyway; I'm pretty much just on the bridge pickup with everything on 11.

I've bought a few guitars since then, and haven't played it in several years, but I'll always vouch for its quality.

Eric'45

Reaction score
Well, weather permitting (it's about 20km) I'll head over to the outlet tomorrow and try my luck on those Tributes. If I end up taking one home, I'll certainly snap some pics and share!
I'd say that's a good decision. If you have the funds, go for a Gibson. Not saying Epis are bad, I own two of them myself, but I figured after all the upgrades, I could have bought a Gibson. Again, it's not the case that they were unusable in their stock form, but certain things like Machine Heads, Nut, Pots and Pickups are better on a Gibson- right from the start.

Wildeman

Reaction score
Well, weather permitting (it's about 20km) I'll head over to the outlet tomorrow and try my luck on those Tributes. If I end up taking one home, I'll certainly snap some pics and share!
Nothing wrong with that, Studios and Tributes rock, as for Epi's, I have two Paul's right now and I love them both but the Gibson has a little extra...
.. something ( maybe cuz I'm playing it right now)🤘 Like I said though, I love them both. 20220325_173914.jpg

PelliX

Reaction score
I'd say that's a good decision. If you have the funds, go for a Gibson. Not saying Epis are bad, I own two of them myself, but I figured after all the upgrades, I could have bought a Gibson. Again, it's not the case that they were unusable in their stock form, but certain things like Machine Heads, Nut, Pots and Pickups are better on a Gibson- right from the start.

Pots and machine heads are fair game to be replaced/upgraded on any guitar, certainly those south of a K. I'm looking forward to trying the pickups, they shouldn't be too bad, I'm hoping. Funds are well covered, but I have to justify it to myself, eh... :D

Like I said though, I love them both.

Two very nice looking guitars there! Just from an optical perspective, I prefer the Epi of the two, though neither is per se my 'favorite look'. I'm eyeing the tobacco sunburst and cherry sunbursts, as it happens. We'll see how things pan out.

Wildeman

Reaction score
Pots and machine heads are fair game to be replaced/upgraded on any guitar, certainly those south of a K. I'm looking forward to trying the pickups, they shouldn't be too bad, I'm hoping. Funds are well covered, but I have to justify it to myself, eh... :D

Two very nice looking guitars there! Just from an optical perspective, I prefer the Epi of the two, though neither is per se my 'favorite look'. I'm eyeing the tobacco sunburst and cherry sunbursts, as it happens. We'll see how things pan out.
Right on man, if what you get is anything like these two you're Killin it.

geddy

Reaction score
I have a beautiful natural EPI flying V. Looks beautiful as produced by Epipihone.
The clown who owned before I got it from GC for under $500 had placed a Gibson truss cover on the
headstock and used a sharpie to coloe off the EPI logo.

Bad, bad case of Epiphone shame there.

I cleaned it up and let the EPI logo be seen. I left the truss cover, he went a long way yo find that historic little piece of plastic.
Some epis have a Gibson stamped TRC by default.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
With recent Epiphone's, you will either get one that is pretty decent or a complete dud. Like most any other guitar. If you have access to be able to play one, do it. I grew up in a small town and options were limited.

From the ones I've owned, I'd probably say that as far as the actual quality control goes that the more modern production Chinese versions seem better. The hardware and pickups on the Korean ones I owned were terrible.

I gigged an Epiphone flying v but the only thing left of that guitar was the husk. Stayed in tune better than my LTD. I loved those 58 style Epiphone v's because of the fat neck. Lots of the Korean Epiphone LP's have a slim odd d shaped neck...

On the flip side of things, I had an Epiphone moderne that I modded out and sold last year. The electronics and hardware weren't anything great.

I also owned an Epiphone g400 (sg) that was simply a dead plank. Swapped pickups in it and it was still terrible. My opinion is that I've never heard factory Epiphone pickups that sound all that great. Usually muddy and harsh.

I got the itch last year for an SG. First thing I did was search the usual places. New Epiphones were $500. I found a 1999 Gibson SG Special for $600 on Reverb and sprung for that. Didn't know if it would be good or a dud. It turned out to be a gem of a guitar. It's very resonate and doesn't even neck dive. No headstock break. Just honest play wear and one bent tuner.

I am happy with it! If I had to get rid of it down the road, I won't lose a dime on it. That just makes sense to me.

In my opinion, the best Epiphones are the made in Japan Elite (elitist) Series ones. Usa made pickups and the build quality is stellar. They were to close to or better than a lot of Gibson's...so they quit making them.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
All that fuss about Gibson being low quality is some exaggerated Internet BS IMHO. There might be some duds, but I have never played one. I would still advise to play the exact guitar you want to buy beforehand. If that's OK, there's not much that can go wrong, or that can't be fixed. Good luck trying to find the best PUs for your LP 😁, that is really a rabbit hole.
If it doesn't work out, Gibson guitars seem to have a decent resale value.
This is one of the most relevant posts I've ever read.

Bashing Gibson is the bandwagon thing to do these days. If they were as awful as the internet made them out to be, they would have went out of business ages ago.

More internet bs gems...
*They don't stay in tune!
-Some do, some don't. Which can be said for any brand of any guitar and is usually due to an improperly cut nut.

*Headstock breaks all the time!
- WTF are you doing with these guitars exactly?? While we know a Gibson headstock is fragile and accidents do happen, I've played some sketchy places and never broke the headstock on any of them in over a 20 plus year time frame. I've seen broken head stocks ony brand of guitar you can think of. I still say Gibson should put a volute on there like they did in the '70's but the purists get angry because '59's didn't come with them lol

*All Norlin ones are terrible.
-Pure steaming BS. Some of the best ones I've played are Norlin Era including a '69 ES335. Norlin Era flying v's and Explorer's tend to be absolutely stellar hence why they are $$$$ now. LP's can go either way. I guess we should have informed Adam Jones and Randy Rhoades they they could have made better music on a non Norlin Era Gibson lol...

*You only play those because of the name on the headstock!
- The most moronic statement out of the bunch. Maybe I like the pickups and the larger C profile neck shape they commonly have???!!

But usually pointing out facts means I get called a fanboy which is moronic because I have more than one brand of guitars. I own more Yamaha guitars than any other brand. Fact of the matter is that Gibson can make something that is amazing one day and "meh" at best the next day. All guitar companies can make a dud, no matter who it is. If you like it and if it sounds good, IT IS GOOD !!

It makes me want to hold up a doll and ask them where Gibson touched them. They make guitars, if you don't like them...its fine. Don't play them. That's why we have more than one company that makes guitars. In 2022, we have options!!

Latest posts