Epiphone Flying V

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Are these things worth the $600 +/- these days, or are they just toys for little bedroom headbangers? I had a couple of the Korina's, but that was way WAY back.

I want a cheap sub-$1K Flying V.

iu
I like this one mostly because of the headstock and pickups

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know Who TF these guys are ,but for the longest time there was a Brent Hinds V for sale on New Orleans craigs for about 4 bills . I might should've checked that out ...just because being a lifelong Raider fan , silverburst might have been cool , depending on what the neck was like .

The necks on the "58" style from the late 90s-2000s are great ,perfect width with a good bit of depth
The black one I have , got off craigs for $175

Rikamortis

Reaction score
If you want a V for under $1,000 check out the Deans. Absolutely top-notch quality.

I have a Dean V Stealth, and there's not a flaw anywhere to be found. The tuning and intonation is spot on.

There's 2 things I don't like about it, but they are personal-preference things, not design/quality flaws;
  1. The Jumbo frets. I have a Gibson SG with Mediums (not Medium-Jumbo, but Mediums) and those are absolutely perfect to me. The Dean has Jumbos, way too big.
  2. The tailpiece. I rest the heel of my right hand right behind the bridge, and I don't like the feel from the way the strings enter the body. They enter the body at different angles. Look very closely and you'll see.
Again, these are just personal-preference things; this machine is absolutely perfect, not a flaw anywhere. I highly suggest you take a look at the Deans.

Mine has the Active EMG's, but they have other models too. Seriously, give them a gander, you'll be 'riffing' in no time.

:hbang:
I 100% agree I have a Razorback, 2 Stealth Vs and an acoustic.

axe arsenal

Reaction score
Sold my 2004 Gibson '67 reissue Flying V last year for 650 Euro. It had nicks all over and a non original case with rusted handles.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know where I can pick up a cherry red Gibson Flying V for 600 bucks. With a hardshell case. A buddy of mine has it. It's got some knicks and dings but it's a nice sounding guitar. I just may buy it off him one of these days. I've been kicking it around for a while. He even offered to let me borrow it and just play it for a bit.
If the necks straight and frets are good I'd buy it for that,..fast. you see the prices on these lately?

Vinsanitizer

You are awesome.
Double Platinum Supporting Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Prophecy looks cooler.
Throw in a case and you're still sub-$1k.
Trade in a junk pedal and get 10% off.
If you don't like it, take it back.
View attachment 97039

I was digging on that model yesterday. Just not sure if they're neck-heavy. They have a beveled back up toward the neck joint, which takes away a small amount of wood, but those bodies need all the weight they can get.

I'd like to have a V again for the tone, but any neck-heavy guitar is a deal breaker for me.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
Balance out the neck weight by putting a Floyd on it.....
Is it possible? Is the body too thin?

Wildeman

Reaction score
I don't know Who TF these guys are ,but for the longest time there was a Brent Hinds V for sale on New Orleans craigs for about 4 bills . I might should've checked that out ...just because being a lifelong Raider fan , silverburst might have been cool , depending on what the neck was like .

The necks on the "58" style from the late 90s-2000s are great ,perfect width with a good bit of depth
The black one I have , got off craigs for $175
Brent Hinds is from Mastadon, check them out i think they kick ass.