emojis are ruining civilization

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Dumb used to be an accident. Now it’s a goal. No matter how complicated something might be, someone is reducing it to a tiny cartoon.

Want to express your faith? You could spend an hour a week in a house of worship contemplating the mysteries of the divine, but why bother when there is Popemoji?

http://nypost.com/2015/10/14/emojis-are-ruining-civilization/

Söulcaster

VIP Member
Reaction score
070315-378-1280.jpg

We've gone full circle....

Peace

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
You have to admit. Emojis are sort of cute. :wave:

Vinsanitizer

Kitteh!!
Double Platinum Supporting Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why we rip off a lengthy section of toilet paper, bunch it up and then, well, you know. Wouldn't it seem more efficient to reduce that amount to just the single square actually used?
See what I'm sayin'? I'm sayin' it's not dumbing down, it's more efficient. To be able to say a whole sentence in a single basic image is very efficient.

Sheet-of-Toilet-Paper.jpg

...of course, I don't really believe any of that. And the reason is because it's only "more efficient" for those who are sufficiently educated to know the difference between good grammar and emoji shortcuts. But when all we ever learn is the shortcuts, that's dumbing down. That's the future of the world though: dumbed down and gov't owned.

DirtySteve

VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally I believe that without them we would all hate each other because you can't type emotion and facial expressions so things can easily be taken the wrong way. It happens anyway, but not as often by far. I'm all for it!

cornhusker86

Reaction score
Personally I believe that without them we would all hate each other because you can't type emotion and facial expressions so things can easily be taken the wrong way. It happens anyway, but not as often by far. I'm all for it!

happy_cow_large.jpg

DirtySteve

VIP Member
Reaction score
...except some, Teryn for example, she does a pretty good job without them, but that takes a bit of talent. Most of us would blow it.

tubes

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't use them. I don't think I ever really look at them unless the gif is the only thing in a post.
I HATE the animated ones. I have to halt animations in the browser because it just gets out of hand. Too much movement on the screen.

As for: "...you can't type emotion...".
I don't agree. That's what well written communication - and poetry - is all about.

On the other hand, if you said "...you can't type emotion when it's late at night and you're tired..." I would agree.

I do have a problem with sarcasm. But it's not limited to the typing. I have that problem all the time.

dreyn77

Reaction score
yeah. I see your point.

yeah, I see your point too soul caster.

I'm reminded about the stuff in machu pitchu, or anchorwhat.

or the caves with rocks in aust.

yeah, there's always somebody dumbing down my life to being born yesturday.

I guess this is the end result in protection.
protect people and they'll eventually say you're not infront of them.

Kinda like, "the advanced person doesn't exist cause I don't have to think about them".

the picture doesn't say any words.
the brain which is forcefully educated may massively over think when it notices something out there is different.

people are dumb enough to simplify everything out of existance.

this thread has helped my organize something in my own brain inrelation to understanding BRAIN DEAD morons out in the real world which I was SO unfortunite to have noticed tonight.

All they did was 'see me' and they've instantly minimized my age to 1day old. and they start the process from that understanding point.

somehow these people made it through schooling. it's F*** ing unbelieveable!

I went to a eatery and the worker brings over a tray with salt& pepper and some sauces, and says to me, "do you know how to use them?"
I have a look at this guy and notice he's not laughing or even smileing. he's actually serious.

and to top it all off the guy has no concept that his business is in bad shape, when he says brain dead questions like that.

dumbass questions out in the real world. I've had them all week!

If you don't say anything they never get the message but if you do say something they still never get the message.

the latest fad with shops now is, when they FAIL and go out of business, they print a sign on some A4 paper which says, "closed for renovations! sorry we missed you, we'll open again real soon"

they never open again. they've done a runner, jumped ship, left town, etc... you name it, they've done it. their reputation is in the crapper.
soon there will be another DH openup shop and do exactly the same runner on the banks money.
they think we're gonna treat THEM with respect and courtisey.
instead we'll make bets on how long they're gonna stay before they do a midnight runner.