Elton John

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score
Never seen him - had access to a ticket in the 80s and declined. Wish I'd gone but I'm not heartbroken over it. Like a few of his songs and bet he would put on a great show. Saw some similar artists back in the day like Billy Joel and Hall and Oates, and while I'm just OK with their music, the shows themselves were tremendous and totally worth seeing.

PelliX

Reaction score
Not a fan, but I admire the the guy. A real old fashioned entertainer. Stood the test of time, great songwriter, funny character with a decent share of self humor. Put him at a piano with a mic and you have entertainment, nothing else required. I think he deserved his knighthood fair and square, too (no pun intended). Quit while you're winning they say - imagine hanging up the gauntlet during the next lockdown - he's probably pulling the plug at the right moment.

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
Who needs Elton when Maren sings his songs better.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Most guys can not admit they like his music and I get that. The thing that I recognize beside Elton’s singing and playing performance is the song writing of Bernie Taupin . The songs he has written are very well done up until a certain time anyway.
I have never said out loud to anyone I like Elton but huge respect for the talent and some songs are like classic. I like metal , always have and always will but being able to tell the stories in this way is a great talent.

Frodebro

Reaction score
Most guys can not admit they like his music and I get that. The thing that I recognize beside Elton’s singing and playing performance is the song writing of Bernie Taupin . The songs he has written are very well done up until a certain time anyway.
I have never said out loud to anyone I like Elton but huge respect for the talent and some songs are like classic. I like metal , always have and always will but being able to tell the stories in this way is a great talent.

I saw a video from many years ago where Elton was doing a Q&A type thing with an audience, and the topic of his collaboration with Taupin came up. He said that it was extremely easy for him to create melodies and changes around lyrics when handed to him, and proceeded to have the audience provide him some lyrics and he came up with something pretty decent right on the spot. It's been a long time since I saw that clip, I'll see if I can find it and I'll post it.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
im not a big fan either but hes one of the last greats ya know.
hes been somewhat of a crybaby the last 25 yrs though.
he was KNIGHTED though and hes been behind many of good deeds.

Frodebro

Reaction score
im not a big fan either but hes one of the last greats ya know.
hes been somewhat of a crybaby the last 25 yrs though.
he was KNIGHTED though and hes been behind many of good deeds.

He'll be the first one to tell you that he can be a bitchy prima donna, but the guy has also reached out to a lot of people and helped them with addiction and sobriety. He was the reason Robert Downey, Jr was able to kick his old lifestyle, which was something I never would have seen coming. He also tried to give Billy Joels some words of wisdom about his (Joel's) lifestyle as it was affecting his performances when they were touring together. Joel stopped speaking to him.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
He'll be the first one to tell you that he can be a bitchy prima donna, but the guy has also reached out to a lot of people and helped them with addiction and sobriety. He was the reason Robert Downey, Jr was able to kick his old lifestyle, which was something I never would have seen coming. He also tried to give Billy Joels some words of wisdom about his (Joel's) lifestyle as it was affecting his performances when they were touring together. Joel stopped speaking to him.

yes i kinda stated that in my post as well. the guy is behind a lot of good things
and has always been very giving of himself and his bank. can say anything bad
about him though ya know. i like a had full of his songs but thats my limit.
i just hope gene simmons hasnt gotten to him and told him how to do Fraewell tours lol.
i think E. John has to much class for that though.

Frodebro

Reaction score
yes i kinda stated that in my post as well. the guy is behind a lot of good things
and has always been very giving of himself and his bank. can say anything bad
about him though ya know. i like a had full of his songs but thats my limit.
i just hope gene simmons hasnt gotten to him and told him how to do Fraewell tours lol.
i think E. John has to much class for that though.

I think Elton is doing the farewell thing because his voice is starting to go and he wants to hang it up before things get too bad. With Simmons, I think it was more a matter of simply wanting to call it quits, then not wanting to quit (and the money).

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
I think Elton is doing the farewell thing because his voice is starting to go and he wants to hang it up before things get too bad. With Simmons, I think it was more a matter of simply wanting to call it quits, then not wanting to quit (and the money).

yeah, when your voice is your main attraction and it starts to go its time to hang it up and keep whats left for yourself.

Latest posts