El84 suggestions ?

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by Timmy51, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Timmy51

Timmy51 Active Member

I think I have shopping paralysis. To many choices, but maybe it doesn’t really matter for power tubes.
    I’m just looking for a good smooth sounding low gain tube for my Origin 5 and Class 5 head. I don’t know which ones to get. :shrug: I’m looking at new production ones. Like JJ,EH...ect.

2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

When you say smooth and low gain it makes me think of my Groove Tube EL34M, I would look and read desciptions of their EL84 and see what they say.

Timmy51 likes this.
  3. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Get the Mullard reissues and be done with it. They're very good tubes at a very reasonable price.

jeffb, IOSEPHVS and Timmy51 like this.
  4. Timmy51

Timmy51 Active Member

Thanks guys ! I’ll look into them. I wasn’t even sure how much power tubes effected over all tone. I was just going to close my eyes and pick a few. Lol

5. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

The false statement that power tubes dont affect tone has been propagating for years, in fact power tubes do affect tone and I know this from first hand experience not based on what I read. Read tube descriptions from the retailers to know what a tubes characteristics are then post your questions here to confirm.

jeffb and Timmy51 like this.
  6. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Active Member

+1 Mullard

Timmy51 likes this.
  7. Guitar-Rocker

Guitar-Rocker Well-Known Member

Baldwin branded old stock Sylvania EL84's for the win (fleabay). Well worth the money spent, and noticeably a better EL84

Timmy51 likes this.
  8. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

in my DSL401, JJ EL84s were just fine, but the key tonal tube was in the V1 position, 12ax7, and the JJ one I tried was dull sounding.

Timmy51 likes this.
  9. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Active Member

An option that you may not have considered is Matsushita which is now part of Panasonic. From the early '50s until the '90s Phillips owned a large share of the company, and oversaw much of its production, but the intriguing part of this is that their valves were manufactured by Mullard. I have a pair of the NOS EL84s. I ran one in my Crate Palomino V8 with an NOS CBS/Hytron 12AX7 for a short while. Compared to the stock Groove Tubes, it didn't sound like the same amp. I pulled them both to preserve the matched pair and the CBS, and put in NOS RCAs which is still a nice upgrade from the pre-Fender GTs.

Timmy51 likes this.
  10. Timmy51

Timmy51 Active Member

I’ll look for some. Thanks !

IOSEPHVS likes this.
  11. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

For CP, the Mullards are great _IF_ you don't want headroom- they saturate very quickly. Even when purchased for higher headroom. That said, they gain out fantastic. In my Class5, HK TM, and OR15, they were my fave EL84 by a long shot, and I pounded the hell out of them wiith no failures (the PR15 ate JJs for breakfast)

CP Tung Sol are not bad either.

Timmy51 likes this.
  12. Melodyman

Melodyman Active Member

There are two sizes of EL84's and you need to be sure when you decide they will fit in your amps sockets. I know the Vox amps use a slimmer profile and cant use many of the newer fatter bottled reissues and vice versa.. Just FYI..

Timmy51 likes this.
  13. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Active Member

You're welcome. I hate giving out information like this. The less people who know the better for those who do, but it's out there to be found by anyone who wants to take the time to find it.

Timmy51 likes this.
  14. Vesperado

Vesperado Member

JJ has never failed me.