EH EL-34...

Adrian R

Reaction score
I must say that I'm really lovin them tubes..

I would have to say they're the most honest/classic sounding CP tube out there. I have tried so many different tubes out there. These to me really capture that classic EL-34 sound. They sound just as good as my quads of Svetlana Winged Cs. but for like half the price.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
I must say that I'm really lovin them tubes..

I would have to say they're the most honest/classic sounding CP tube out there. I have tried so many different tubes out there. These to me really capture that classic EL-34 sound. They sound just as good as my quads of Svetlana Winged Cs. but for like half the price.
Yep , definitely my first choice of tubes . I’ve got a nice pair of Mullard xf2’s and I can’t tell any difference to the eh’s .

junk notes

Reaction score
I have not played through these 6CA7s as of the re installations.
sv20he-h-6ca7.jpg

Will report back..

junk notes

Reaction score
It is porbably me getting used to the fact that this is a self biasing designed circuit.
I gave a good college try, and after roughly a half hour of trying to dial in something of decent tone and timbre..
..but No.
Part of the mystery for me, perhaps they need to have the same current draw as the originals, as well as the same number as the originals, but there I go again thinking the self biasing thing..

Yes, these E.H. 6CA7s have more bass, but in this particular amp, have loose smeary bottom end in comparison to the originals. Not tight IMHO. Perhaps for another amp as I do use these in Plexis, and now they are spares, as I can bias these within range.

chats.jpg

The originals go back in! Crank it! :shred:

Adrian R

Reaction score
It is porbably me getting used to the fact that this is a self biasing designed circuit.
I gave a good college try, and after roughly a half hour of trying to dial in something of decent tone and timbre..
..but No.
Part of the mystery for me, perhaps they need to have the same current draw as the originals, as well as the same number as the originals, but there I go again thinking the self biasing thing..

Yes, these E.H. 6CA7s have more bass, but in this particular amp, have loose smeary bottom end in comparison to the originals. Not tight IMHO. Perhaps for another amp as I do use these in Plexis, and now they are spares, as I can bias these within range.

chats.jpg

The originals go back in! Crank it! :shred:

They're not the same tubes. I tried some EH 6ca7s... Couldn't get them to bias properly. Back they went.

junk notes

Reaction score
Focusing on Electro-Harmonix valves, the E.H. EL34 would be a better choice in power tubes than their big bottle 6CA7 equivalent - for the Marshall SV20 circuit.

IIRC in 2019 when I installed a quad of E.H. 6CA7s in another head, one of the four had a lower current draw, and they were supposed to be all matched. I averaged all four, and was in an acceptable bias range, and left them in, but will not get them again.
I would not recommend for the SV circuit, but does not mean these tubes could not work for someone else's amp tones with all their own gear. This is just my experience with these E.H. 6CA7 tubes used in the Marshall SV circuit.
They're not the same tubes. I tried some EH 6ca7s... Couldn't get them to bias properly. Back they went.

Sapient

 
Reaction score
I've got EH preamp tubes in one of my JVM410HJS heads. The color coordination of the tube painting and the gold "pokers" on the bottom look so cool!