Ebay and Reverb becoming a non factor..

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by Adrian R, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Globalists?

You sure it doesn't have anything to do with Americans not making jack and just exchanging services and flipping financial instruments based on inflated house/land prices and companies valued for their dated or uncompetitive intellectual properties??? Think bloated old crap like Motorola, HP, Dell, GE etc...well ok GE has SOME value in its aviation division, but the rest of em don't have a unique product between the lot of em, and don't even make their own stuff anymore anyways

Apple's headed that way too, strong brand identity but little substance past that.... remember the utter crushing dominance of the Motorola Razr? Same thing gonna happen here. Microsoft will take a longer time to fall off because of their pseudo-monopoly, but with the dilution of desktops' share in computing and gadgetry and their failure to diversify much (except for Xbox and the hopefully-not-for-long partnership with Ford, who could do a lot better, on infotainment hardware) --- the decline is all but guaranteed.

That economic house of cards tumbles easy and never gonna get rebuilt without real work. America's true problem is that most of its "value" is in the images of ageing brands that are propped up by force of habit more than anything else. Yeah there's some software/internet startups, but that stuff gets copied fast and eventually improved on past the original. Intellectual property just doesn't hold long term value well.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  2. jtees4

jtees4 Active Member

I agree except for the use of the word "forced". No one is being forced to do anything. There are always options.

3. rmlevasseur

rmlevasseur Well-Known Member

Actually, its actions like this that caused me stop using ebay many years ago. It's not a secret there would be tax, yet you reversed a transaction because of it. Meanwhile the poor guy selling it thinks he has a deal. Ebay always lets the buyer squeek out, and it just became to risky to sell.

Robus likes this.
  4. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

eBay did not want to charge tax, the dam greedy states are making them charge the tax!

5. StingRay85

StingRay85 Well-Known Member

Would for sure be nice to have an alternative. Crazy what kind of commission they're asking for no other added value than being a sales platform. If the seller bumps an article, you already know it's overpriced. This BS for raising to 5% is nonsense, reality is that they want to increase their own profits

6. thetragichero

thetragichero Well-Known Member

I'm perfectly happy buying and selling on reverb, for the service they provide (besides worldwide advertising, reduced shipping, somebody handling the payments besides me, even shipping resolution) 5% is a bargain. they're much easier to deal with from a seller's standpoint than ebay. the majority of my income comes from selling on reverb
    I'll still troll the local resources for good deals

anitoli likes this.
  7. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Reverb is almost always too high from a buyer perspective. And 'accepts offers' usually isn't even worth the effort. I prefer Ebay, but prices there aren't great either. If I can find it locally, it's almost always a better deal, and I can try it first. And it's good to meet other local musicians that I might not have otherwise. So I always look locally first.

Geeze likes this.
  8. jtees4

jtees4 Active Member

Totally opposite my experience...I have bought and sold lots on reverb after giving up EBay, and almost all of my buys and sells were with ""make an offer", and I've done pretty well on both. Different strokes I guess.

willyh likes this.
  9. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Other than purchasing a pedal or three on Reverb, Craigslist has been my go-to for over a decade. Spend about $5-10k every year on CL MI transactions.

Of course, I have zero issue dealing with and meeting people. I get that not everyone is that way. But the good deals are mostly on CL.

10. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I've recently sold amps via reverb but for everything else I use ebay. I've been an ebayer for over 20 years and I'm a top rated seller,
    as long as my sales volume stays high enough. They've always made it progressively harder to sell on ebay while never doing us sellers any favors,
    but it's still worthwhile to sell on ebay. Depending on what you're selling and depending on what your product profitability is.

FogDweller likes this.
  11. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Well-Blown Member Double Platinum Supporting Member

:cheers:

Thank you. How refreshing.

At least somebody has a grasp of what's happening.

Everyone-
    No matter who you are or where you stand, you're in grave danger. Not a political statement.....purely humanitarian. Knowledge is power.

Sapient likes this.
  12. Sapient

Sapient Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

People get lost in details of the effect(s) while being completely oblivious to the cause or who ...is the cause. Sadly, in typical form, these same people probably don't even know what I just said either.

Trelwheen likes this.
  13. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

How does charging tax on vintage pedal, that there are an abundance of, that fluctuate in used prices get taxed?
    The other guy is paying less for the same used item due to final sale price. Ridiculous and unfair business practice with these companies taking advantage of the law telling you it is the law.....
    edit: We should all help to phase these companies out. In the same manner that reverb took over eBay with its inception, others will come along with new formats and business manipulation.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  14. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Yup, I dont see how anyone can make money using these Places unless its a product they build/mfg themselves and the fees are not an issue.

Wait til the States figure out a way to try to collect sales tax from Craigs List...you know they are working on it, its just a matter of when!

15. Matthews Guitars

The notion that ebay and reverb are becoming a non factory just doesn't fly with me. They are making it tougher on sellers both due to corporate greed and government regulations that can't rightfully be pinned on the website operators, but it's still a very viable avenue for me to sell my products and assorted random stuff I pick up cheap that has a profitability potential.

The only complication for me is that I sell a lot of things on consignment. Should I ever receive a tax form from ebay, it may report total sales but I would have to itemize every transaction and calculate my actual profit and may have to submit supporting documentation. That could cause a real hassle for me. I might even have to actually sit down and do some actual WORK for an hour or two! And after I'm done with my figuring, it's likely to turn out that my actual income after taking all deductions is low enough that I won't have to pay anything. I've bought enough stuff that I took a loss on that this is a very realistic possibility and that is WITHOUT playing games with any numbers. If I'm asked to report my earnings, I'll do it honestly and accurately. I always remember that Al Capone, notorious gangster, died in federal prison not for all the people he had killed, not for all the illegal activites he was involved in, but for TAX EVASION. So it's fair to say that the IRS is probably worthy of at least much respect as any gun-toting law enforcement agency.

lonewolfsx and Peter McAteer like this.
  16. What?

What? Well-Known Member

That is one aspect that sucks about Ebay and Reverb. Too many hawks are always watching for local gear to flip online, where it used to be that finding decent deals on local gear *to make music with* was more common. And part of it isn't just the gear, but is about meeting locals you might not have ran into before, talking about gear and music in the process of trade, which gets eliminated by gear flippers. There is no community aspect to it. It's only about $.

Just the other day, I went to check out an old Epiphone acoustic, because you really have to play them to find the goods ones. That guitar was a dud, but I met an interesting older local who used to gig this whole area, and we talked about old Super Reverbs (he had one, as do I) and local music for an hour or so. And I found out some things about my amp's history that I never would have known (he knew the deceased previous owner) as well as some info about some other older local players and bands. That to me is as valuable as finding a decent deal on a piece of gear that I will actually use for making music.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  17. Matthews Guitars

Almost none of my ebay activity involves musical gear, just FYI... I've sold a few amps on Reverb, though. And bought a few there, too.

18. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Sorry. That wasn't pointed at you. I was making a general comment.

19. Geeze

Geeze Well-Known Member

I fear my government - with Capone they couldn't catch him and make it stick so they wrote some new regs that allowed them to nail his fanny - lazy. Between that and the lazy ass RICO statues where if a member of your group does a naughty they can charge the whole group for the naughty - if that don't pucker the one way check valve nothing will.

The state's taxing internet revenue is a can of worms - each state can determine the 'volume' of business your org conducts in their state and set the threshold value at which you 'need' to start paying them tax on your sales to their citizens. I suspect the more the state is in the $$$ hole the lower the threshold.

I stopped selling online because of the 6 month window for disputes and whining with PP. I sold an amp with a spare set of tubes to a guy in HI who was a pain in the ass about it getting there - I pack bomb proof packaging - and when it got there he went full 4 year old retard about how I lied to him about the condition that it arrived in. I looked up his complaint - preamp tube related - politely told him to change V1 and never heard another word. I sweated the 6 months and swore never ever never again. Local or I burn it.

Russ

20. Peter McAteer

Peter McAteer Active Member

I had a set of Gretsch Blacktop Broad'Tron pickups that languished on Kijiji for a month. Sold on Reverb in under three hours. It's still useful, but the margins for the seller aren't as good.