Early Hendrix tone

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by tonebender69, Aug 17, 2009.

1. tonebender69

tonebender69 New Member

OK! Once and for all who here knows to the exact detail of what Hendrix used on his first couple of albums in the studio to get that sound. Marshall JTM/45 100 heads with Kt66's, or plexi's w/Mullard EL34'S? (w/Celestion G12M 20 watters) I've also read and heard rumors of Fender Blackface Twin Reverbs, Bassman heads with GE 6L6's. In speculation, I see it very plausible that he would have used Fender in the studio because of his previous association with Twins and evidenced also in his live at Monterey appearence where he has a mix of 1 Marshall stack and about 3 or 4 Fender Showman setups. I have seen clips of him with Sound City heads and have read he used them on the Axis album. I also heard he used a Tele besides a strat on Hey Joe. I find it fascinating as a guitar player hobbyist who enjoys good tone and understands that not until very recently was it possible to have all the elements available again to acheive these Heavenly tones, tubes, speakers, plexi clones, etc.

Also any comments on his later BOG tones! I have read in one of his bio's of some guy out in California that would ready his gear for US tours. He would put 6550's in his Marshall super leads and upgrade his cabs with 75 watt Celestions taken from Vox super beatle cabs. I guess he would have also had different setups for studio/live use.

LET THERE BE ROCK!

2. MajorNut1967

MajorNut1967 New Member

Hmm you are digging deep in the well! Jimi used a lot of different gear on stage; I have seen old film from England of him using a Sound City amp, WEM cabs and a Dual Shoman. And it still sounded like Jimi. I am not by any means a Hendrix aficionado, but listen to some of the Eddie Kramer interviews and he can tell you some of the gear and that Jimi used and the little 4 ft cords in the Studio, lots of tidbits. But the first album was recorded in late 1966 early 1967 and released in London that year. And believe that Jimi used a JTM45 100 on that album, because I remember Eddie Kramer saying about how loud it was. So if that be the case most likely it was a KT66 Super Lead? The Dallas Arbiter and a vox wah, he hadn’t met Roger Mayer yet so he didn’t have any of those toys yet.

Take a look at his pic, see the small script logo and the old style grille cloth and that it has three switches on the front: Polarity, Stand-by, Mains.
    [​IMG]

GPNOIZ likes this.
  3. MartyStrat54

MartyStrat54 Well-Known Member

Recap from a special edition of Guitar Player. It was an exact reprint of an earlier issue. This issue came out in 1975.

Per Eric Barrett, Jimi's equipment manager from 1967 until 1970. These are just edited parts from a lengthy article about Jimi's equipment.

He had up to 13 or 14 Strats at any given time.
    Several Tele's, including a Strat with a Tele neck.
    He had 6 Gibson Les Pauls and 3 Flying Vee's.
    Gibson Les Paul Studio Stereo.
    Gibson 330 and a Firebird.
    Mosrite double-cutaway electric Dobro.
    Various other guitars and 8-string basses.

To quote Mr. Barrett in regard to Jimi's amplification, "It was 99% Marshall." Jimi started with a Twin. He used Orange amps at the December '67 Pink Floyd "Christmas On Earth" show. In 1967, Jimi signed a five year contract with SUNN amps (the contract lasted 14 months). During this time, the entire band used SUNN equipment. Jimi's setup was five Coliseum PA tops altered for guitar at 120 watts RMS each, with ten speaker cabinets with two JBL D130F's. (That's 20, 15-inch high efficiency speakers!)

Then at Jimi's request, the cabs were converted to using 4, 12-inch Eminence speakers in each cab.

Jimi complained about excessive noise coming from the amps and the fact that he requested a real 100 WRMS amp. Sunn tried tricking Jimi and it backfired and Jimi and SUNN were done with each other. Jimi went back to the Marshall's. He started with just a 100 watt head and full stack. He then used two, 200 watt amps (Major's). Then he would sometimes use three, 100 watt heads and sometimes 3, 100 watt heads with three, 200 watt heads. These were paired with six full stacks.

Jimi had a friend from Long Island, Tony Frank. He modded the 100 watt Marsall amps to put out 137 watts. (He still had good power tubes to use.) However, Jimi's amps usually had to be completely gone through every two weeks while on tour.

Jimi used Fender Rock 'N Roll strings. (.010, .013, .015, .026, .032, .038).
    Some experts claim that Jimi had a heavy low E, a medium A and D, a Hawaiian G string a light B and a super light high E.

His main effects were the Dallas-Arbiter Fuzz Face, the Univox Univibe and Vox wah-wah pedals. Jimi started using a wah shortly before the first tour ended. Another pedal, built by Roger Mayer that Jimi used was the Octavia pedal.

Jimi would buy medium picks by the 100's and did not prefer any specific brand.

Here is a copy of the front cover.

[​IMG]

Here is a copy of the back cover.

[​IMG]

And here are three more shots that look like they were taken at the same time as the picture the Major posted above.

[​IMG]

I've kept all my GP mags since 1973. Wow! What a time warp looking at those mags. Many of the articles break down the equipment used piece by piece. However, with Jimi, it is difficult to really know what all of his gear really was.

Stratofly59, Crikey, JAC and 2 others like this.
  4. MartyStrat54

Anyone else got any comments or pic's that they'd like to share? I'd like to hear more about the Sound City amps. How long did Jimi use them?

5. MartyStrat54

More on Jimi's equipment.

Music Maker-February 1968

"...I use two Marshall and two Sound City 100-watt amplifiers and I find that this combination provides the sound that I require coupled with reliability. Each amplifier has 4 by 12 cabinets. But the secret of my sound is largely the electronics genius of Roger Mayer (aka "Roger The Valve").

(Jimi) "He has rewired my guitars in a special way to produce an individual sound and he has made me a fantastic fuzz-tone (stomp box) which you can hear to good effect on our new LP, "Axis: Bold As Love."

During the SUNN cabinet era, Noel would have to have as many heads as Jimi. They ended up with four, 200-watt heads each. Mitch couldn't hear himself play drums!!! The had to bring in four Altec A-7's and use them as drum monitors and Mitch would always say, "Turn it up!"

There is nothing in my archives that state which speakers Jimi used. When he went exclusively to Marshall's we know that they were Celestion's from that era of 1967 until his death.

6. janarn

janarn Well-Known Member

And Leslie West got Hendrix old Sunn amp,
    and used that in Mountain.

Lowdown likes this.
  7. Reginald

Reginald Member

..So,Jimi used a few Major sometimes....I didn't know for this matter....it's nice!
    Major is the only vintage Marshall I own......great Jimi!!!

GPNOIZ likes this.
  8. jcmjmp

jcmjmp Well-Known Member

Jimi started out with the G12M speakers but he kept blowing 'em up. He then switched to the G12H.

9. Marshallhead

Marshallhead Well-Known Member

Nonononono, the pic was posted by "the Major", there's no hard evidence that Jim used Majors apart from a tale of them getting a set from Marshall for a gig and they blew almost instantly.

The amp used for first gigs and albums would seem to be one of a couple of JTM45/100's he received from Marshall in October 1966, and the Dickinson amp (serial 7026) is evident in pics all the way up to mid 1967. It still had KT66's when Rich Dickinson bought in in 1971, so we should assume it had these through the time Jimi used it.

Metroman likes this.
  10. MartyStrat54

Thanks for the update.

11. MartyStrat54

Well I'm going by the fact that this article was written back when the information was fresh. If Jimi's equipment manager says he was using 100 and 200 watt heads, I have to assume that he is correct in his comments. The only 200 watt head made by Marshall was the Major. If you could read this article, you would find out that Jimi was a power freak. He wanted the biggest amps he could get. SUNN pioneered the big amps of the late sixties and that is what attracted Jimi to them. However, their amps had numerous problems, not to mention that Jimi was brutal on all of his equipment. When this deal fell through, Jimi went back to his British connection and Marshall provided him with their amps. If the Majors were problematic, I'm sure Marshall provided Jimi with plenty of back ups. Plus, Jimi had top-notched technicians who could rework any of his amps for the better. Maybe his tech was able to make the Major more roadworthy. Noel was using four 100-watt Marshall bass heads and they were pretty much the same as what Jimi was using (the difference being the bright cap). In all of my pictures, Jimi is using a four-hole amp.

I'm glad this thread got a little more attention. Jimi died so early in his career that any real info about him is fascinating. I appreciate all the contributions.

JAC likes this.
  12. RiverRatt

RiverRatt Well-Known Member VIP Member

Check this clip out, starting at around 4:05. It looks like he's using four JTM45/100's. I can't figure out what the odd cabinet in the center of the Marshalls is, though.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep5HBKOD5IQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep5HBKOD5IQ[/ame]

13. george76

george76 Well-Known Member

Its a P.A cab. they came in pairs, theres one on the right too if you have a look.

14. MajorNut1967

MajorNut1967 New Member

Marshall was in the PA business for a few short years and thats some of the gear!

15. Reginald

Reginald Member

What were the best transformers in early Marshall 100W between Drakes and Dagnalls.....which more reliability ,stronger,best quality and expecially capable to supply major voltages.
    with Dagnalls the voltage was lowered compare with early JTM 45/100 with Drakes,wasnt it?
    what was the best,stronger,lasting,more resistant,more puissant,less outwearing:hippie::hippie::hippie::headbanger: between Drake and Dagnall?

16. superimposedmedia

superimposedmedia New Member

I'm watching the Jimi Hendrix Woodstock DVD and the closest detail I can tell is the wall of 5 Marshall Full Stacks. All of them have a single row of knobs. I can't make out the model names ... and while we're in the Gypsy, Sun and Rainbows, the solo tones he uses in Get My Heart Back Together blow me away!

I'm always intrigued about the difference in his playing vs anyone else in the era. On top of that, add the millions of people he has inspired by both his story and his songs. WOW!
    :headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger: :cool:

17. axuality

axuality Active Member

I saw Hendrix perform live at the Denver Pop Festival in 1969. I sat in the stands of the Denver football stadium, right in front of him. He had 3 Marshall full stacks, (or was it 2?, sorry...I think 3, though)

I'm pretty sure that Redding used Sunns.

Someone tuned his guitar for him before he came on stage. When he got on stage, he retuned it right away, and if I'm not mistaken, he tuned all the strings down one or two frets.

He was one of the "coolest" people I've ever seen (unruffled). He moved like a confident cat moves.

18. MartyStrat54

Jimi used an E Flat tuning for 90 per cent of his songs. Maybe some tech tuned his guitar in E and he realized it right away. In one of the articles, it stated Jimi preferred the E Flat tuning both for singing and for string bending.

19. blues

blues Active Member

When Marshall came out with the Jimi Hendrix signature Super 100 amp they had kt66 tubes in them. Jimi did use many amps but he did use jtm 45/100. Below is some info that may help

The Marshall Super 100JH Jimi Hendrix stack consists of the Super 100JH head, the angled 1982AJH 4x12 and the extra-tall, straight-front 1982JH 4x12 cabinets.

The original versions of this iconic, pinstriped stack were built in 1966 and the Super 100 head was the immediate successor to Marshall's first 100 watt head, the famous dual output transformer JTM45/100.

The 100JH contains three ECC83 (12AX7) valves in the preamp and a quartet of KT66 valves in the power amp (KT66 valves were standard issue in mid-sixties Marshall amps). The all-important transformers are built by Drake, the original 1960's-era manufacturer.

20. janarn

janarn Well-Known Member

That's info about the new RI models from Marshall.
    The JTM45/100 was called so because Marshall did not have a new
    front panels for the new 100w amplifiers, and decided to use the
    JTM45 front panels, until they got the new front panels.

JTM45/100 was the dual OT amp in Nov. '65,
    and also all 100w amps with KT66 output tubes.
    And the first 100w with EL34, was also a JTM45/100 amp.
    All JTM45/100 had the Super 100 Amp written on the back panel.
    Back panels said MkIII on the early amps, and was the back panel from
    the 1963 Super PA.

So these first 100w amps had the front panel from the JTM45 MkII,
    and the back panel from the JTM50 MkIII, the Super PA model 1962.

That lasted until the JTM reverse logo front panel came.