E34L in Origin20

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Maggot Brain, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

WOW!
    I had a matched pair of GT E34L stashed away I robbed from my 6505+ and decided to give them a try in the Origin. I know the Origin is cathode biased so I am hoping these are ok in the Origin because they "ROCK!".

Literally hesitated to even bother because my OCD tells me that traditional Marshall is and should EL34. I am not knowledgeable about the E34L other than seeing them used in some American style amplifiers, so again my OCD was telling me this is gonna take away the "authenticity" but boy was I wrong. This Origin20 screams and reminded me instantly of a hot JMP 1959 I played years ago. There was definitely an increase in powertube distortion, Marshall crunch, karange and sizzle galore, what was a fantastic amplifier to begin with was perfected to my taste with the E34Ls. The bass was full but noticblely tighter and the mids a little more pronounced but all sounding distinctly Marshall.

Anyways I hope someone can chime in and confirm the E34Ls will be OK with the cathode bias because man I hate to have to remove them. Simple way to describe it in my opinion, it made it sound more Marshally.

If these are safe for prolonged use in the Origin I highly recommend giving them a try, especially someone looking for a little more gain and distortion out of the Origin.

fitz288 likes this.
  2. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

Dave Friedman once said that the JJ E34L is a JJ EL34 that tested stronger.

Should be no problem at all.

3. Kinkless Tetrode

With the cathode bias you could even try a pair of KT66s. I might make it more Hendrixy

4. Maggot Brain

Suuuuhweeett!!!! I figured they should be ok, basic description of them seem to be a hotter EL34 and honestly that's what it sounds like to me.

I am so in love with the sound I'm getting out of this Origin with the E34Ls, just quintessential old school Marshall.

johnny q and scozz like this.
  5. Maggot Brain

See i really wanted to try this but saw some posting against the ability to throw KT66s in without modification... Now KT66s are generally my favorite but I think these E34Ls are going to be hard to beat.

If anyone can confirm the likelihood that KT66s would he ok to run I'll give them a shot, I can borrow my VM's gold lions.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  6. Kinkless Tetrode

I ran KT66s in my cathode biased mini Jubilee for awhile. Nothing bad happened.

7. fitz288

fitz288 Space-Time Curver Silver Supporting Member

According to JJ, they're basically the same.
    "E34L is a more powerful EL34 with more headroom and deeper lows. It is a little more aggressive than the EL34."
    JJ Electronic - E34L (jj-electronic.com)

...more tubes to add to the cart...

8. Maggot Brain

So is JJ the manufacturer of the E34Ls? GT just rebrands them?

I'm going to have to take the KT66s for a quick whirl... I imagine the Origin could cop a nice JTM sound with those.

Mitchell Pearrow and fitz288 like this.
  9. fitz288

Quote from The Tube Store.

"Here at thetubestore.com we sell tubes from the original manufacturer whenever possible.

Groove Tubes is not a tube manufacturer. Neither, for that matter, do Fender (who now own the Groove Tubes name), Ruby Tubes and a host of other companies manufacture tubes. All of these companies simply re-label tubes from the same factories we buy from: the companies who actually build tubes, such as New Sensor (who make Electro- Harmonix, Sovtek, Svetlana, and re-issues of Mullard and Tung-Sol tubes), JJ Electronic, Shuguang, SED and a few other factories."

Let us know how the KT66s sound - I'm interested in putting some more spice in my O20H.
    I think the 3 JJ ECC803S's I put in added some balls to the preamp stage.

10. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

So I won't be the only one biting my tongue now in those "the new Mullards are the BEST" threads haha? There are 3-4 places that manufacture tubes--all the brands are just a stamp.

11. Maggot Brain

I'll definitely report back once I give the KT66s a whirl, right now I'm just loving these E34Ls and would dare say the Origin is putting out one of the best Marshall tones since owning an early JCM800 2204.

If you want some more spice I highly recommend the E34Ls, I didn't get the impression of increased headroom, if anything the opposite. I left all my controls in place before and after the swap and the E34L was immediately hotter, crunchier upon firing up.

Again I think anyone that desires more gain or distortion out of their Origin ought to try these tubes. I say the increase powertube distortion, saturation and compression along with a tighter bottom end are the most drastic differences between them and the stock EL34s.

12. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

EL34L's are cool. Meaning when you change to them shit tightened up.

I'd go 6CA7's.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    fitz288 and Maggot Brain like this.
  13. Maggot Brain

Lmao i know what your trying to say.

Tho it tightened up there is no lack of thump for this Origin, the tightness reminds me of a healthy 2204 that kicks you in the chest with some palm muting or the percussion that you feel with a pick scrape or hard pick attack.

I'd love to try 6ca7s or KT77s and or some vintage tubes also. I would like to try the KT66s but have read conflicting answers on whether that's safe, I may hold off until someone with a deeper understanding of the Origin20's cathode bias circuit can chime in.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    solarburnDSL50 and fitz288 like this.
  14. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I got to not post after too many.:shock:

I love it's thump too.:eddie:

Not all KT77's are the same. The Gold Lion's are excellent but way expensive.

I really liked the JJ 6CA7'S I had in before the Gold Lion's. Really good and definitely better that the stock 34's thump.

15. yladrd61

yladrd61 Well-Known Member

The older GT E34L's were manufactured by Tesla for GT, and later ones by JJ. They were designed to run higher plate current than most other EL34 types. GT wasn't only a relabeler they also had many of their tubes manufactured to their own specifications for them kind of like TAD does now.

16. tresmarshallz

tresmarshallz Well-Known Member

sorry to throw random question into this, but this got me thinking about trying other power tubes in my Origin 50 head. Does anyone know if it is cathode bias or would I have to use my bias tool and check them? thanks

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  17. Edgar Frog

Edgar Frog Well-Known Member

The 50's need to be biased.

18. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    No go in the 50w Origin unfortunately. E34L, 6CA7 or KT77's will be fine, but not KT66, 6L6 or 6V6.

19. fitz288

Ok, I ordered a set of E34Ls for the O20H, and a set of 6CA7s for the DSL20H (any thoughts?) from Amplified Parts.
    (that will leave me with a spare quad of EL34s for the 6101)
    AZ to PA should be here for the weekend.
    I might try swapping back and forth to see what works best for my uneducated audio palette.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  20. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Aren’t the e34L’s a slightly lower gain tube than el34’s?

I always thought e34L’s were kinda in between the 6L6 and el34 in producing gain?

Is that right?

tce63 likes this.