Duncan Amos vs. Wizz vs. Throbak vs. ??? Best PAF Clone???

Reaction score
Hey guys, i want to put some new PAF style humbuckers in my old Gibson Flying V from the 70ties.

Someone mounted some seymour duncan custom distortion 5000 afterburner pickups in the 80ties, but i want to have a more vintage like tone.

The sounds i prefer vary from Paul Kossoff to Jimmy Page and early Tony Iommi. Early Hardrock tones and nice clean up with the guitars volume.

Does anybody have experience with all those PAF Clones from Duncan, Wizz, Throbak ect???

It needs to have a aged nickel cover to match the rest of the guitar.

What and why are you using?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hey guys, i want to put some new PAF style humbuckers in my old Gibson Flying V from the 70ties.

Someone mounted some seymour duncan custom distortion 5000 afterburner pickups in the 80ties, but i want to have a more vintage like tone.

The sounds i prefer vary from Paul Kossoff to Jimmy Page and early Tony Iommi. Early Hardrock tones and nice clean up with the guitars volume.

Does anybody have experience with all those PAF Clones from Duncan, Wizz, Throbak ect???

What and why are you using?
I'm a fan of Gibson pickups especially ones with A2 magnet they are low gain paf style pickups. 57 Classic, 57 Classic Plus, Burstbucker 1 and 2.

purpleplexi

Reaction score
Was a bit of a pickup junkie until I got a set of Rolph 58s. They've been in there ever since. If I had to buy some more I think the Dave Stephens are the most accurate PAF replicas now. Pricey but the good stuff usually is.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duncan Antiquities are great at what you are asking for, consistent and pretty cheap. I’ve moved to all Jim Wagner American Steel sets in my Les Pauls—they are a smidge more modern than the Ants but both great pickups and IMO an upgrade over a stock Duncan ‘59/PG/SL/AII/C5 or a Dimarzio 59PAF/36th Anny. All of which I’ve had in these same guitars.

Rockat

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gibson 57+ will do it . Very nice PU

junk notes

Reaction score
yes
i want to put some new PAF style humbuckers in my old Gibson Flying V from the 70ties.
Paul Kossoff to Jimmy Page and early Tony Iommi. Early Hardrock tones and nice clean up with the guitars volume.
Criteria sounds like a T-Top or someones clone. For that you will need some pickup diligence to find out what manufacturer has these favored specs for your tones.
answer
Tom Holmes, or Throbak.
Top tier and come with a price, but these two closest to Gibson vintage.
They offer aged.