DSL5CR no breakup on Classic Gain channel

wilhem

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m fairly new to tube amps and I recently bought a DSL5CR and I’m getting no breakup at all on the Classic Gain channel (the clean channel). Even with the Gain on 10 and Volume on 10 it’s still just clean, just very loud. The Ultra Gain channel seems to be working fine so I’m a little confused as to what the problem is.

It seems to me that some do achieve the overdriven sound and some don’t, but I couldn’t find any solutions.

I’d appreciate any advice you guys could give.

Thank you.

John BNY

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't believe there is anything wrong with your amp. I recall the prior generation of the DSL5 did break up in the Classic Gain channel, but whatever changes Marshall made to the newer CR version prevents the amp from breaking up. I suppose on the plus side, you can get loud in the Classic Gain channel and maintain your headroom, but if you are looking for the edge of breakup tone in that channel, I don't believe the amp can offer that.

Welcome to the forum.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
I run the Classic Gain on my 40CR at about 10 to get the Classic Crunch to 'crunch' nicely.
But the Classic Clean stays clean.
Well, clean enough for me.

I think you are going to need an overdrive pedal if you want a crunch tone to switch with OD channel tone.

wilhem

Reaction score
I don't believe there is anything wrong with your amp. I recall the prior generation of the DSL5 did break up in the Classic Gain channel, but whatever changes Marshall made to the newer CR version prevents the amp from breaking up. I suppose on the plus side, you can get loud in the Classic Gain channel and maintain your headroom, but if you are looking for the edge of breakup tone in that channel, I don't believe the amp can offer that.

Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I’ve read that about the old model. It’s a shame since the manual suggests that it should be able to break-up on that channel. Still a bit unsure since I read somebody actually ask how to keep it clean since their 5CR is breaking up at higher gains.

GregM

Reaction score
I can kinda get a Lil breakup with humbucker attacking the strings pretty hard, in bridge position.
Mostly just chuck an od pedal on it and it is awesome 80s rock sound to my ears.
Lubbin my Lil 5cr

GregM

Reaction score
I

Welcome to the forum.
I think the main change was a transistor in v3 whereas the 5c had three preamp tubes iirc

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
It also depends on your pickups.
A standard Fender single will probably struggle to achieve any breakup.
But a DiMarzio X2N may stand a better chance.

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m fairly new to tube amps and I recently bought a DSL5CR and I’m getting no breakup at all on the Classic Gain channel (the clean channel). Even with the Gain on 10 and Volume on 10 it’s still just clean, just very loud. The Ultra Gain channel seems to be working fine so I’m a little confused as to what the problem is.

It seems to me that some do achieve the overdriven sound and some don’t, but I couldn’t find any solutions.

I’d appreciate any advice you guys could give.

Thank you.
I have a DSL5CR and see the same thing when using single coils as @SkyMonkey said. And a get very little breakup when using lower powered humbuckers. What I do is have an overdrive going into the front - not through the effects loop. A have a cheap Behringer TS808 clone that does very nicely with the level turned way up, and the drive all the way down. That or a Wampler Tumnus is what I usually use.

mad5066

Reaction score
People wanted a little more headroom from the original 5c so the 5cr changed that to be very clean. I actually prefer that since it takes pedals so well and then the other channel handles the dirt.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Welcome to the forum.
Yeah John is correct, and so are you @wilhem. I recall playing a Dsl5cr when they first came out in 2018. It had virtually zero gain in the green channel, even with the gain maxed.

I ended up buying a Dsl1hr, and ironically enough, the green channel on that amp has a nice creamy crunch,...and with only a single volume knob!

There’s no gain knob on the Dsl1hr in the green channel. I always felt the 5 should’ve been more like the 1 in that regard.

Btw wilhem, :welcome: to The Marshall Forum!

wilhem

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the welcomes and answers.

I use single coils almost exclusively so getting that break-up is off the table.

However, I’m really happy with the 5CR and I’m actually quite happy to have a nice clean channel that can get loud - I was just worried that there was something wrong with my amp. I can still achieve the edge of break-up tone on the Ultra Gain channel so it’s a win-win overall.

mad5066

Reaction score
Having had both, I think the 5cr is more versatile since you can get loud cleans which makes it great as a pedal platform and then you still have the dirt channel.

Latest posts