DSL5CR clean -> breakup, how?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by joackim breien, Nov 27, 2021.

1. joackim breien

joackim breien New Member

Hi guys

Got my hands on a DSL5CR and the clean channel doesnt seem to break up at all, even with the gain om 10!

I´ve read that i need to boost my guitar to get it to breakup...

Any idea of a good boost? or another way of doing it?

As i complete newbie i dont have any pedals, os im thinking about the tubescreamer simply because is sounds fun and im told it could boost my clean into breakup.

thanks for any and all replys!

/J

Mitchell Pearrow, scozz and fitz288 like this.
  2. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Gold Supporting Member

A tube screamer or a Boss SD-1 are both highly recommended as a front-end kick to just about any Marshall.
    I have both...
    I've also heard that the classic channel on the newer 5CR stays clean, even when cranked, so probably not some kind of problem with the amp.

3. gregr

gregr Well-Known Member

They scoop the shit out of it and drop the level with a resistor. Replace with a treble peaker, a large bright cap and you’re ready to rock out with your cock out.

Use an EQ in front of the amp to reclaim your clean tone.

4. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

There’s all kinds of boost pedals out there, I suggest you watch some videos of them. Although you don’t get a really accurate sound reproduction from YouTube, you’ll get an idea.

As @fitz288 mentioned, the Tubescreamer and the Sd1 are both great pedals

They’re both Overdrive pedals though, not boost pedals, but they both can be used as boost pedals, and they sound great used that way.

There are also many strictly just boost pedals to consider too, also you’re gonna get a lot of opinions here in this thread, so that’ll help you too.

Take the opinions, do some research, watch some videos, don’t be afraid to ask more questions if you need too. Everyone here is very friendly and helpful, well most of us are, lol! :D

Btw, welcome to the Marshall Forum,… :cool:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  5. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

:cheers:
    :welcome:
    To The Forum
    Congrats on your new amp @fitz288
    Has already answered your question on a drive pedal, as did @scozz , and I will chime in with the same. And the SD1 is very affordable, I too push my amps with one..
    Cheers
    Mitch

scozz and fitz288 like this.
  6. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

I've done the ecc823 thing in v1 and the switch to a 12 inch speaker.
    For loudish playing I use the marshall channel footswitch. I cranked the Lil bad boy in my factory for the last 2 nights, no pedals bar the marshall channel changer. It's pretty awesome.
    Think Highway to Hell, got volume maxxed, gain at 3 or 4, cranking out the a, d( f in the bass yes), and g5, then after the switch to e for the chorus build up, switch channels to clean, gain on 10, volume was 6 or so I think to match the other channel, then back to high gain for the next verse. Sounded fn killer!
    The other people in the factory thought it was pretty cool too so not just my thoughts, oh and bridge pup on 10, was absolutely flooring it.
    Edit I should add its my least favourite of my 3 tube amps ( vox ac15 and my sc20h), but if this as bad as it gets, it's pretty bloody good.

7. Daniel Najimian

Daniel Najimian New Member

I also have a DSL5cr, and have added several pedals. One of my favorites is the Ibanez Tube Screamer mini. I have bought and sold back (to GC) a number of pedals, but the TS has stayed. It adds a nice boost to the Classic Gain (i.e., clean) channel on my DSL5cr, and gets along with other OD pedals (e.g., Wampler PlexiDrive) to give your gain an even greater boost.

fitz288 likes this.
  8. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

A Tubescreamer used correctly goes a long way. The real Ibanez ones are pretty pricey, but a clone can be had for a couple of tenners and often aren't very far from the original.

fitz288 likes this.
  9. Eric'45

Eric'45 Well-Known Member

I recently found a cheap pedal I bought a long time ago, as a beginner. It was tucked away for so long, I had forgotten about it. I rediscovered it again and I was really amazed how decent it sounds. It's the Purple Behringer TO100 Tube Overdrive.
    Oh, I googled it and it seems to be discontinued. I can't say if that one https://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR...MI39j1ycK09QIVw5TVCh2e8ANNEAQYASABEgJbxfD_BwE is it's proper successor, but these seem to be surprisingly good alternatives for the Tube Screamer.

fitz288 and PelliX like this.
  10. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's practically a clone.

[​IMG]

The Tubescreamer is a very simple circuit. Not much you can do wrong with an op-amp and a few diodes.

fitz288 and Eric'45 like this.
  11. Eric'45

Eric'45 Well-Known Member

Talk about Behringer what you will, but they have nailed the clone thing.

PelliX and fitz288 like this.
  12. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

Mixing desk and a few other Behringer bits and pieces here in the studio. If you know what you're buying, there's nothing wrong with Behringer. In the case of a TS, I've got a NUX "2 tenner" clone that really does the job very well. I'd argue that especially a TS isn't worth spending the extra money on to get a 'real' one. Due to its nature even the cheapest components will render a similar result, except for the noise floor when operating on a power supply, etc, perhaps. I can buy a whole lot of clones for the price of one real Ibby TS. Plenty of clones out there also include multiple revisions in one pedal, like a TS808 and TS9 between which you can switch. Demon makes those, for example.

Eric'45 likes this.
  13. gregr

gregr Well-Known Member

tschrama, GregM and PelliX like this.