DSL5c - The Ultimate Lo-Power Amp

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Micky, Dec 9, 2013.

1. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

Hnad!

Micky likes this.
  2. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

You know celestion makes a 10 inch v30 speaker. I bet it would sound killer in these amps

Coronado, Jammers5 and Micky like this.
  3. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

There has been a bit of speculation or confusion over the 5W/1W switch/mode.

On the back there is a pushbutton switch to change power levels.
    Marshall calls these modes Emulated Line Out Mode (5W) and Headphone Out Mode (1W).
    In Line Out mode, the output functions as a normal Emulated Line Out would function, it provides a line-level signal to your PA or another amplifier, or to your audio interface, or whatever. The internal speaker in the combo still works.
    In Headphone mode (1W) the internal speaker is disabled when a plug is inserted to that output, and the output from that same jack is suitable for headphones.

Another interesting feature is the Audio In, which is a pass-thru for your music player into the headphone output, the Audio In does not connect to the DSL5c amplifier portion at all. It strictly passes any audio applied to that jack directly into the headphone mix so that you can play along to your favorite music.

Mind you, I have not tried these features yet as I have been trying to understand all these features and how they work. I will give it a shot as soon as I can get some time, and report back. I am curious as to the headphone output level, and what kind of levels I will need to set on other things with the Emulated Line Out.

Vinsanitizer likes this.
  4. Micky

I agree! I am also curious about the Eminence Red Fang but it is 8-ohm only. The only Eminence 10" 16-ohm I can see right off the bat is the Legend 10516 but I dunno if that would be appropriate for a combo...

Maybe Marty or some of the other speaker guru's will chime in here with suggestions...

mott555 likes this.
  5. thenoodler

thenoodler New Member

I don't understand why Marshall didn't put a seperate gain knob on the clean channel? It seems that channel is useless for clean sounds.

Vinsanitizer and Micky like this.
  6. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer ✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴ ✴- - - - - TEH - - - - -✴ ✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴ Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

Going by the CG video, looks like there will be no sparkling clean Jazz tones above about 10:00 on the clean channel. Therefore clean loudness would be very limited. In fact, w/o a separate gain control, the clean channel seems more intended as a dirty rhythm channel to compliment chan. 2 as a solo channel.

For what it's worth, the rumor is that this is the amp was intended to replace the Class 5.

jvm210guy likes this.
  7. brp

brp Well-Known Member

Now in stock at a nearby shop here FTR.

8. jvm210guy

jvm210guy New Member

That's a good observation.

Being a Class 5 fan though, I don't think its good replacement amp. But, the DSL5 is for a high gain audience..

9. jvm210guy

jvm210guy New Member

I don't mean this as an insult, I mean this sincerely. I think with this amp they're going for the "chugga chugga crowd". The guys that come into GC and just immediately "chugg" away. Basically, what the ht-5 was gong for. This amp can do that, but it looks more versatile too for everyone else.

Again, I gotta play it to say for sure..

JAC likes this.
  10. Micky

I think anything in the 5W or so range is gonna appeal to that crowd. Especially if it is inexpensive. And you are absolutely right, it is pretty versatile.

My playing sucks, and I can get a pretty wide range of sound out of it. Note I said wide range, not 'good sound'... But in all reality, for what it is, it sounds great. I am still impressed with the depth of the 10" speaker. I can't wait to hear what is sounds like with a bit of reverb!

jvm210guy and mott555 like this.
  11. Micky

Well, from the looks of the schematic, you can set the bias on this amp.
    Apparently if you get a 12BH7/ECC99 that is unbalanced for whatever reason, you can use a single trimpot to even things out. I would imagine because you cant set each side individually as you would with 2 trimpots, you need to equalize both sides.

Here is a shot of the trimpot:

[​IMG]

And here is a shot of the bias test point:

[​IMG]

I will have to check this next time I have the chassis out...

mott555 and Vinsanitizer like this.
  12. stickyfinger

stickyfinger Well-Known Member

Did you already get a copy of the schematic? Id really like to get my hands on one. Very curious of how they set up the PI and power section.

13. stickyfinger

stickyfinger Well-Known Member

Never mind Micky. I went over to the Roadhouse and to my surprise there you were already had it posted.

Micky likes this.
  14. Username2

Username2 New Member

The DSL5 and the Haze were both designed by James Marchant. Glad you like it Micky. Did you get to try it into a 4x12? I hope to see it offered in a head soon.

Rocktane and DirtySteve like this.
  15. brp

brp Well-Known Member

Me too. I'd very likely buy the head.

JAC likes this.
  16. Micky

Yup, I need to contribute over there once and a while, I can't contribute much, but when I do, it is something good...

mott555 and stickyfinger like this.
  17. Micky

No, I haven't taken it downstairs yet to connect it to anything else. I have it right at the end of the couch in the living room, and have been playing the shit outta it. My fingers are sore.

Not only do I want to connect it up to an external cab, I wanna test the emulated line out into other stuff. Should be easy to pump it into another amp like the 40c. Then again I have about 15KW of Crown PA equipment...

OH - I think James is a member here...

mott555 likes this.
  18. Micky

So anyway, I DID get a chance to plug in some headphones and play for a while, and jam along with some Aerosmith. What a blast! I am sitting on the end of the couch, jamming away, making all sorts of strange faces and stuff, singing along, and having a great old time. My wife and dog are sitting on the other end, apparently making fun of me and making faces at me. I stop playing to get to the next tune, and look over, and they are laughing their asses off, the dog is giving me that crooked head look, so I went back to jamming.

I had my iPhone plugged into the Audio Input on the back of the DSL5c, and the volume thru the amp is a little low, but that may be due to my Bose headphones. They don't ever seem too loud...

Anyway, turns out this is the perfect little practice amp. Seems like a little too much gain on the Classic channel, but at 4 or so on the dial I was right into the middle of the Aerosmith zone. Haven't used the Ultra channel much, my fingers are sore and I have had many other tasks to complete as of late...

More on that after I can get it downstairs and crank it a bit. Probably on my day off Friday.

19. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer ✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴ ✴- - - - - TEH - - - - -✴ ✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴ Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

Micky;

1. What is your home address?
    2. What time do you usually go to work?
    3. Just curious, but what room are you keeping the DSL5 in?
    4. Also if it's not too much trouble, what's your email password?

Okay thanks!

mtm105, ibmorjamn and Coronado like this.
  20. Micky

Asshole... You know you are welcome to come over anytime.

But to satisfy your curiosity:

123 Penny Lane
    I work 24/7
    Living Room currently
    password =VinIsAHoser (case sensitive)

Bring a 15-pack and you can demo the DSL40c and the 5c side by side.
    I'll make chili.