DSL50, to boost or not to boost?

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm not really a boost connoisseur as I usually prefer my amps without boost pedals up front. However, just for fun I've been trying out some of my amps with boost pedals and this week I'm trying the JCM 2000 DSL50 without and with 2 classic boost pedals. The Maxon OD808 and the Boss SD-1. I like what the pedals add to the tone for the genre I'm playing here.

What do you guys think? Does it sound best without the pedals or is one of the pedals better in this case? I'd be curious to know your thoughts:

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried watching this at work today through a crap computer mono speaker.
Just watched again through my home PC rig with a decent external TV stereo amp & speakers.
For me it would have been difficult to tell what was what without the video.
I guess I'm just not a clean boost guy, but I like some OD crunch on DSL classic channel - I use the gain knob on the pedals I have.
Thanks for the vid.

Neptical

Reaction score
My DSL 50 with the SD-1 is absolutely GLORIOUS. I'm big fan of the Red Channel as this was the amp I came to from playing Boogie Mark IIIs for years. Perfect transition. The Green Channel is great but I save it for Cleans as they get quite spanky - and love a fair amount of big open chordal stuff with Verbs, Delays and Chorus ala Lifeson.

I haven't checked your video out yet but will do! Thank you for sharing again as always @Guitarjon

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
The SD-1 was the winner. The difference between the SD-1 & the Maxon were slight, but the SD-1 sounded tighter, more articulate, and more musical to my ears. I can't figure it out for the life of me, but there is something about an SD-1 into a Marshall that just simply works. They naturally compliment each other. It's the OD that you introduce to your parents.

clutch71

Reaction score
Great video but a couple observations.
  • The deep switch makes the bottom end loose so a boost is going to tighten that up.
  • The amp tightens as you turn it up!
  • Speakers make a difference. IMO G12V tighter than G12M (though I prefer the latter.)
  • Picking hand makes a difference too. Getting rid of an OD out front forced me to clean up my picking hand.
I used to run an TS808 out front (a hold over from my Dual Rec days) but found if I biased the amp 35-37mv (rather than the Marshall recommended 45mv), left the deep and mid shift off, lowered the bass, cranked the mids, treble/presence low, OD1 on the ultra gain the amp was tight enough for my liking.

I do like a boost (1985 SD1) on the classic gain channel as a third channel or to boost crunch and for extreme low volume play on ultra gain.

Thanks for sharing!

FleshOnGear

Reaction score
When I had a JCM2000 DSL100 I usually played it on green crunch with an OD pedal boosting it. I thought it sounded better than the red channel on its own. Red channel boosted was more gain than I needed.

Latest posts