DSL50 for Home Use?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by jhespada, Dec 2, 2020.

1. jhespada

jhespada New Member

Hi,

I have the chance to get a Marshall DSL50 for cheap but I only play at my home. My music setup is such that I can play pretty loud in my basement without driving the rest of household nuts. Currently, I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (40W) that I can dial up the volume on. Im wondering if its worth getting this Marshall amp or is it going to be way too much for home use? I would like to pair it with a 2x12 cab of some sort if that info is helpful.

If it is too loud for home use, any recommendations for a head/cab combo that I can look into for playing classic rock???

Thanks

2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

DSL50 and a greenback 2x12 is great for home use. Put some KT77 power tubes in it too! Hey and welcome to the forum! :yesway:

3. jhespada

jhespada New Member

Thanks - Im hoping to get the amp for around 550$. Good deal? I also like to play classic rock but not really metal. Does this amp do the job well or should i be looking elsewhere?

Mitchell Pearrow and FracStrat like this.
  4. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

You can absolutely play a DSL at home. Especially if you have a basement where you can play a little louder. $550 is as great deal. And there are many on this forum that get good classic rock tones from the DSL. If you like classic rock, and as an alternative to the DSL, you could get one of the Marshall Origins. They are around the same price, if not cheaper, and are low gain.

5. pedecamp

Its perfect, especially the green crunch channel for what you like, use the red OD1 for lead boost. :yesway:

6. jhespada

jhespada New Member

I see a couple of possibilities on reverb but I dont know much about cabinets at all. Whats everyeone's opinion on these:

7. jhespada

jhespada New Member

I cant send links yet lol so here are the titles and descriptions of the cabinets:

1)Avatar 2x12 Guitar Cabinet 2019 has Celestion Heritage G12H(55) UK Greenback Speakers like Marshall (550$)

Great shape. Loaded with UK-made Celestion Greenback G12H 55hz 30 watt speakers. Speakers alone are worth $400. Multiple impedance options on the back (4 or 16ohm mono or 8ohm stereo). Closed back. Built like a tank and sounds gigantic.

2)
    Avatar Guitar Cab 2x12 (G212 Traditional) (350$)

Selling this 2x12 Avatar cab. I only used it for about a year in my practice space. I never gigged with it. This setup currently costs about $500 if you check on Avatar's web site.
    The cab contains 2 Celestion speakers:
    1 Vintage 30
    1 G12H30

The cab is closed but it's the version with the removable back panel if you wanted to make it open.
    Supports 4 and 16 ohms in Mono. 8 ohms in stereo.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  8. pedecamp

Whatever you get make sure its 30" wide to accommodate the DSL50 head.

Mitchell Pearrow and jhespada like this.
  9. jhespada

jhespada New Member

Thanks do you think the extra 200$ is justified based on the specs?

10. pedecamp

What do you mean?

11. jhespada

jhespada New Member

Do you think the 550$ amp is worth the extra 200$ versus the other one I linked based on the description?

12. pedecamp

I dont like the speakers in cab #2. The speakers in cab #1 are super nice and expensive. Make sure the speakers in cab #1 are the 30 watt version not the 20 watt version. I'd go for cab #1 but offer him $100 less as a starting point.

13. jhespada

jhespada New Member

I also saw a Marshall Cabinet 2 x12 1936 with whatever the stock speakers are in there for $350. I asked what the speakers are but seller wasnt sure bc the back is closed. Thinks they are greenbacks.

14. jhespada

jhespada New Member

Clicked send by accident...disregard.

15. pedecamp

A 1936 comes stock with G12T75 which are good speakers for a DSL but I like greenbacks with a DSL better. The problem with a 1936 there are certain years they were made of ply and other MDF, you dont want the MDF cab. You could ask the seller to remove one of the handle cups and snap a picture so you can see what the cab is made of and see what speaker is in it. If its ply I'd go for a 1936 over the Avatar cabs, you can always find used greenbacks to put in it if you dont like the 75's, but I suspect you will like the 75's because they are good speakers.

jhespada and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  16. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Welcome to the forum
    Pedecamp speaks the truth here, and I think you are going to love your new set up..
    Cheers
    Mitch

scozz, jhespada and Guitar Rod like this.
  17. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Well-Known Member

I am strictly a home player, and I love the DSL 50 for that. Covers so many bases at a wide sweep of volumes.

jhespada and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  18. pedecamp

@jhespada have you looked at the new DSL models like the DSL40CR and the DSL100HR, in my opinion these are superior to the old DSL2000 series like the DSL50 in form, function, and sound. You may be able to pick one of these up used for nearly the cost of that DSL50. Check them out and take a look around to see whats available, Reverb, Ebay, Guitar Center you can find them used. :yesway:

Not the DSL40C or the DSL100H, those are not the same thing, its gotta have the R on the end of the name. Also make sure the footswitch is included whatever you buy. :yesway:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  19. jhespada

jhespada New Member

Not sure if this will tell you if the 1936 is Ply or MDF but the cab was manufactured in 2005.

20. jhespada

jhespada New Member

Thanks - I dont want a combo amp. I never owned a head/cab before and the thought of looking at that setup everytime I plug in is really exciting to me.

The 100HR's I have seen are at least 700/800$. I could spend that but if the difference is not great, I rather just do a local pick up for a 100H for 500$.

Not to go down the rabbit hole too much but would you rather go DSL 50 or 100????? They sound pretty close to me with maybe a slight edge to the 100 in the balls/piss and vinegar department.