DSL40CR with V30!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Troy T. Blues, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Troy T. Blues

Troy T. Blues Well-Known Member

I like V30's and I was always wondered how the DSL40CR would sound with one. The V-Type is good for sure, but didn't quite cut it for me. I know alot guys like the Creamback 65's too. Well, I have a Marshall 1936 cab loaded with V30's, so I decided to take one out and try it in the combo. Don't know why I didn't think of this before. It's well broken in too. HOLY SMOKES!!!! What a difference! Much more alive! The V-Type sounded a bit bland/boxy to me. Again, not a bad speaker by any means.

This amp smokes even more now! Wow!! Bite and grind oh yeah!!!!!! This is all me!
    I watched some videos on YouTube with comparisons and really none of them seemed to make that much difference. But with my rig and in person, it was a big difference to me.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  2. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

I haven't been a V30 fan for quite some time and it's been years since using them. Recently bought an Orange PPC 412 loaded with V30's...Always wanted one to go with my Marshall's. It sounds killer with all my amps! Don't remember V30's sounding this good.:drool:

Congratz on your discovery. I'm with ya!:agreed:

3. Sg-ocaster

Sg-ocaster Well-Known Member

Been thinking on a 65 for my little dsl15c.....never liked the V30 had one in my jubilee and I hated it. Had one in an orange ppc112 it was decent but I swapped to a g12h30 much better imo.....but tone is really an individual thing....glad your happy

4. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Yeah, I’ve never been a huge fan of the V30, I’m not sure why though. I don’t follow too many Dsl threads, so this is the first time I’ve heard about a Dsl40 with a V30.

I’d be interested in hearing a side by side comparison between a V30 and a stock V-Type

MarshallDog and Troy T. Blues like this.
  5. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

I like a V30 very much! in my DSL combo (401) I have one in tbe amp, one in the cab under it. They are really clear and vocal sounding. They do need a few loud thrashings to break them in though.

6. Troy T. Blues

Is it the high mids that you don't like? I can understand that, but I'm all about that. I love the bite/grind/crunch of a Marshall and to me, this speaker presents that well. I'm not sure a video comparison would capture the differences between both speakers either. Sometimes something little can go a long way....especially for me in this case. It also feels right to me too. I guess that I'm just very used to that speaker sound. :)

7. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

I have a V30 2 x 12 that I keep meaning to try with my 40CR but never got around to. If it's brighter than the stock speaker which I'm thinking it will be I'm not going to like it. I have an alnico speaker in there at the minute with really soft treble that I really like.

8. Troy T. Blues

To me, it just sounds better. It might be a little brighter, but that's what eq is for. The quality of distortion sounds better, better note definition, sounds more solid, feels great, etc. It went from a good sounding amp to a very inspiring amp for me now. The V30 has a heavier magnet too.

9. Sg-ocaster

Sg-ocaster Well-Known Member

I didn't like the mids of my V30s...had a 60s Jensen c12n I liked despite the Jensen and Marshall's don't mix stigma....till I asked my girl to hand it to me and she grabbed it by the cone......ugh...:run:

10. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

Never been a V30 fan even though I have tried a few and still have one in storage. I am a Greenback Creamback guy and as they say, each player has his own favorite tone!

11. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

If you are in a gigging band I can see the appeal of the V30 to cut through the mix.
    Never tried one myself, but the reported mid spike would probably grind me down in a home only situation like mine.
    I am running my 40CR with a G12CV in the combo and the V-Type in an open backed 112 cab.
    Both are described as "Tamed V30s" and are very much to my liking. No ear fatigue.

But we are all different, right down to our hearing, or lack-of after playing through amplifiers for any number of years.

12. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

I like the Vintage 30. Of course I play Jubilees mostly, and the V30 and the Jubilee go hand in hand.

I went through a period when I put away my V30s and tried all sorts of Greenbacks and American speakers. But when I pulled the V30s out again it was like coming home.

I like them with most amps and I liked them with the DSL15. Cured the farty low end of that amp.

I like their dimension. They are more 3D to my ears than just about any other speaker.

I like their liveliness. They never sound dead.

I like their responsiveness and sustain.

I like their clarity.

I like their rolled off high end.

I like their articulation.

I like their rich mids.

I like their tight bottom.

Of course, all my V30s are UK made, and over 20 years old.

13. Troy T. Blues

Right on! I agree with all of that! The V30's that I have from my 1936 cabinet are from China, but that's OK. I also own a Marshall 1936V cab that has the Marshall branded V30's (G12 Vintage) and they sound amazing!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  14. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

To me that's the best application for a Vintage 30, gigging. It cuts thru very well, maybe better than most. But for me, an at home player only using a 1-12 cab, I prefer a Creamback.

15. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

When I was upgrading the horrible speaker in my DSL401, V30 was about the only choice other than a G12T75 which I also wasn't keen on. Those two had the power rating to work with a 40W amp and 15 years ago, they were the only available Celestions that did. Couldn't find US brands easily down here either.

There are quite a few more choices now.

16. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

The only V30’s I have had the pleasure to play with, are in my grandson’s Orange 212 cab, and I like what I hear out of them.
    Cheers
    Mitch

solarburnDSL50 and Troy T. Blues like this.