DSL40CR volume tips?

Robmarshall

Reaction score
Ok so first off great amp, week 1. My question deals with how you all handle the volume changes between channels. I can definitely hear the jump in volume from classic clean to crunch channel. Also I notice the clean channel doesn't produce sound at all with the gain at zero. So my question is, for someone who wants to transition between mild gain and a warm clean sound without channel switching (and a jump in volume), would the best route be to just stay on classic crunch channel, and roll the guitars volume down for clean play? Or should I work on dialing in the master volumes, and if so how would you suggest? I have to say that this amp is a monster, and perhaps I over bought, but the warmth and natural harmonics I hear, totally blow my transistor Orange combo amp out of the water. I play at bedroom volumes in the evening a lot, so the 20 watt mode as been great for me. Week one has been a learning experience with the DSL40CR, and I can see this amp has a lot more to offer for sure. Thanks for all your great tips and input.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Use MV1 (green) for the Classic Clean channel, and set all the rest with MV2 (red).
The selected MV for each channel will be automatically selected when you select a channel. It remembers.
This obviously works better with the 6-button footswitch.

I have mine set up with a Boss GT-100 for MIDI switching, and have the 6-button.
This allows me to set the Classic Clean patch level slightly higher than the other three, and keep the MVs free for volume boosts.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
There are 2 different approaches here an both will work @Listogast and @SkyMonkey .. I don’t have your model amp, but I do have a pair of Dsl40c’s, and I rarely ever play the green clean channel, unless I use my Vox Tone Lab, but clean was not the way I use it (the amp)
Cheers
Mitch

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
How I use mine is to generally ignore the CLEAN of the CLASSIC GAIN channel. I instead dime both the GAIN and VOLUME in CRUNCH mode and assign/adjust one of the masters to my needs. Then I choose OD1 of the ULTRA GAIN channel(or OD2, if you prefer), set the GAIN and VOLUME to where I like it and assign the other MASTER to that and adjust the level to balance well with the CLASSIC GAIN channel. Trust me when I tell you that you will drive yourself crazy trying to get all four modes (CLEAN/CRUNCH/OD!/OD2) to balance with each other at the same tone settings and trying to make all four of them foot switchable between! Choose two great sounds and be happy with them!

These amps are quite capable of achieving a complete, full amp sounds, all in the preamp, so that the MASTERS can contol the room volume. Given that approach, I suggest that you may be happier never even going to the 20 watt setting and just using the MASTERS!

I do have a DSL20CR and actually prefer the overall sound of it, when cranked with an attenuator, but the DSL40CR excels at lower volume levels compared to the DSL20.

Just My :2c:,
Gene

Last edited: