DSL40CR unusable drive channel?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by blackstrat13, Feb 26, 2021.

1. blackstrat13

blackstrat13 New Member

Hi. I just bought my first marshall this week, a DSL40CR. Due to the pandemics, I bought it online without ever trying one in person.
    I have to say I’m very disappointed with how it sounds. The OD2 channel is very flubby, harsh, and nasal sounding. Tried plenty of settings but have yet to found a single usable distortion tone out of this amp.
    I’m also surprised how little gain it has given the DSL moniker. I have to basically turn up the gain to 100% to only get 70-80% of the gain level I normally use. I’m not looking for crazy level of gain, just enough saturation for tight palm mute chugging (think metallica, lamb of god, etc.). I have played several high gain tube heads (orange TH30, hughes kettner tubemeister, PRS MT15, PRS Archon, mesa rockerverb) and was able to reach my desired gain level at 50~70% gain setting.
    Might that be caused by a faulty tube somewhere? I really want to try to rotate the tube, but the back panel screws are so damn hard to remove I stripped it with my screwdriver. I really regret buying this amp and should have waited until I try it in person.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  2. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    Sounds like there is definitely a fault. If you bought it on line I would just return it...they should ignore the stripped screw. Have the correct tools for the job....good battery drill/driver with the correct bit (a new one).
    The DSL40cr has massive amounts of gain especially OD2. Are you getting any other associated noise / hum. If the amp just sounds weak it could be a bad connection somewhere or a weak/failing pre-amp tube.
    Rather than troubleshoot though I would just return it.

3. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

My 40CR has too much gain available on OD2 and works best at 7 with an OD pedal up front.
    Stops it flubbing out.

KraftyBob, Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  4. AdrianDSL

AdrianDSL Active Member

@blackstrat13 welcome :)
    I own a 40cr myself and, tbh, it kind of sounds flubby if I go straight in. It has plenty of gain on OD2 but it's not that tight as I wish it was. Too early to tell your amp has a problem, especially after you came from the other amps you mentioned :) Try to start with gain at 7, channel volume dimmed, roll the resonance back all the way, presence 3 or 4 and adjust your EQ starting from 12 o'clock.
    I'm using an OD as clean boost in front of the amp and a GE-7 in the loop and it makes a huge difference. Oh and as much as I love that scooped Mesa sound, the DSL will always sound the best with the mids boosted, my middle knob sits between 7 and 8 most of the time.
    In the end it is a Marshall, to get decent metal high gain sounds it needs a bit of a push.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  5. Madfinger

Madfinger Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like a troll post like so many from aka " new members over the last two weeks" SV,SC,DSL etc. DSL40's are a reputable gig worthy amp used by many working. If you can't handle it look in a mirror.
    & buy a decent screwdriver.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  6. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

First I have ever heard not enough gain.
    Something is wrong with your amp.

Jethro Rocker, tce63 and KraftyBob like this.
  7. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

Some folks just love to drop one in, to watch the show!

image.jpeg

8. Mitchell Pearrow

:agreed: :funny: :fever:

konrad gibson and tce63 like this.
  9. AdrianDSL

AdrianDSL Active Member

Not sure about that yet, bear in mind the online forums are now - and have been for quite a while now - the main support channel after the companies started to outsource their L1 & L2 support to overseas call centres run by grubby contractors using pretty much slave labour. Say you bought something online and it's not what you were expecting it to be, what are your options? Return it and pay the shipping cost? Spend hours on the 1800 phone number with the call centre people? Go online and ask for help / vent your frustration? Pick up a screwdriver, or a jackhammer?
    Better to give people the benefit of the doubt (oh, this applies to the amps as well :D :D) before writing them off as trolls.

tce63 likes this.
  10. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

Can't get a single usable sound out of this amp? I cant get a bad sound out of mine. Can't be bothered.

11. Madfinger

Madfinger Well-Known Member

A few threads started over the past week or two just seem sus to me. Why start a new thread titled with a negative view when you could simply ask on the extensive existing SV, SC or DSL threads. :yesway:

12. AdrianDSL

AdrianDSL Active Member

Because you can? Sorry, not trying to be a smartarse and I get your and others point here, looks and feels sus to register on a forum just to bash a product. Besides, I own a 40cr myself and, while it has heaps of gain on tap, it's not exactly the tight, sharp feel one gets from a 5150 on a Dual rectifier, it's very different. From my experience so far the DSL sounds best pushed with a TS *and* cranked. I can get some pretty good high gain bedroom tones, but it really wakes up when I take it to my friend's house out in the bush and jam along another guitarist and a drummer, then I actually have to roll the gain back a wee bit to keep it tight.
    It's a Marshall ffs, not a hifi Marantz stereo. @blackstrat13 just slam the bugger with an overdrive mate, reckon you'll start to like it :)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  13. purpleplexi

I'd sooner have a pedal into OD1 than straight into OD2. I'm sure that's not what Marshall want to hear but....

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  14. Mitchell Pearrow

All of my more recent clips
    (the last 2 months) have all been on ultra red 2 with an SD1 in the front, I seem to think it sounds great, with bite, clarity, and sounds like I am cranking it to 5 or so, gain is at 3 on the dial, volume at 2 on the dial..
    And I will post a clip here..

15. purpleplexi

I think when people get a DSL they're tempted to crank the gain just because they can. The really nice sounds come with the gain rolled back. (See above...)

16. Mitchell Pearrow

That’s so true, when I got my 40c I cranked the gain, the way I used to do it on my 2104, big mistake once you started turning up the volume, I have pretty much found the nice points for it now , and it is much lower than one might think.
    Cheers

purpleplexi likes this.