DSL40CR on the radar.

TXOldRedRocker

Where's the exit?
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never owned a DSL model. I know a shop that has an unopened DSL40CR. I think I'm going to buy it, just because. I've owned multiple Marshall amps, and still do. But never one with multiple channels. Always been into the single channel Marshall's. I'm a classic rock and blues player. No high gain.
I don't need it, I just want one. GAS is real. Very real.

Now where the hell am I going to put it?

:facepalm:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I've never owned a DSL model. I know a shop that has an unopened DSL40CR. I think I'm going to buy it, just because. I've owned multiple Marshall amps, and still do. But never one with multiple channels. Always been into the single channel Marshall's. I'm a classic rock and blues player. No high gain.

I dont like DSLs much but it sounds totally different than anything else you have, you'll have fun with it! :yesway:

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score

Their not that big,, they can fit in numerous places quite nicely.
Congrats on the amp,, once you grab it

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

What the hell man, right?!

I agree with @paul-e-mann, you’ll have fun. And I bet you’ll like the clean channels, they sound really good and like to be pushed a little.

You and I are on the same page as far as genre goes Tex, Classic Rock and Blues for me too man!

nickfox

Reaction score
@TXOldRedRocker
I’ve mentioned this before, but of all the Marshall Combos I’ve tinkered with changing this or that …… My 40CR is bone stock ……. V-Type speaker and all …… Absolutely Love this Amp !!

I've mentioned this before too. I'm a big lover of the DSL40CR. Totally stock also and the V-Type speaker sounds great. Very happy with it.

curt miller

Reaction score
I'm a card carrying member of the DSL40CR club. My band plays classic hard rock. My amp is doing a great job, left channel, red, gain at 8:30, master volume cranked.
I run a RevvG3 and a Boss DM-2w.
The stock speaker sounds good enough. But I recently swapped it for a Scumback BM 75 65, which I prefer.
Good combo amp.

sroberts5150

Reaction score

Absolutely. Great little amp . Very versatile as well

Reaction score

I made the mistake a while ago, as I was getting back into playing, of ordering a Marshall DSL1H to use with my 1X12 cab equipped with a Greenback. I didn't like it all (in comparison to my early 70 50W I used way back then. I got rid of it for an Origin5C. Another mistake. Better than the DSL1H, but still no cigar when plugged into the cab. I finally got close to the sound I wanted with an Origin 20. Note: Origin amps must be used with a boost in between the guitar and the amp. In my opinion, the amp's boost produced a post preamp volume increase more than a regular boost pedal before the preamp.

The DSLs are very different animals. To me, they sound way too modern for my liking. I could have kept the cute 1W, but it would have sat unused. Make sure you try before getting one. And from my experience, the DSL vintage channel isn't what I wanted. Many guitarists prefer DSLs since they like the extra dirt and sustain they can generate. On the other hand, a plexi like amp can produce a similar sound with a distortion pedal instead of a clean boost.

Cal Nevari

Reaction score

The DSL40CR is a great amp. I actually have one for sale if you're interested. Comes with a Marshall cover, the original foot switch, and the Marshall PEDL-91016, which allows you to take advantage of all of the features of this amp. I'll split shipping costs if you're interested. But you're gonna love this amp no matter where you get it! It roars and the four channels are quite different.

Mike_LA

Reaction score
I'm sure you will love the DSL. Just not my cup of tea. Hummmm, I own a 50TH Anniversary DSL 1H and a 50th JVM1H. Can't stand the DSL, just can't compare to the JVM. The JVM is smooth while the DSL seems harsh. I never understood why Marshall keeps making the DSL. I also own a couple of 6101s, a JMP, an AVT 50 and the DSL fades compared to them as well. Best of luck.

Mott

Reaction score

I own several Marshall bass and guitar stacks. I've owned a DSL50 head for many years.. It was my main head for years and I found it comparable to the 900s. My 1982 2205 is still the champ for me.

TXOldRedRocker

Where's the exit?
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own several Marshall bass and guitar stacks. I've owned a DSL50 head for many years.. It was my main head for years and I found it comparable to the 900s. My 1982 2205 is still the champ for me.

I'm definitely more of an 800 guy. Maybe the GAS I'm feeling should be fought harder.