Dsl40cr - OD pedals into clean channel at home volume

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Stavs, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Karl Brake

Karl Brake Member

Gain lower, channel volume higher gives you more punch. And as others have said, use presence and resonance for the overall feel and aggresiveness of the amp. A TS like drive can add sustain to the clean and crunch modes, and tighten up higher gain. I've not bonded with the dsl, preferring JVM or older Marshalls. I think the DSL sounds much better when louder, but the gain tones beat Mesa any day of the week.

Mitchell Pearrow, Stavs and Neptical like this.
  2. Stavs

Stavs New Member

hmm, interesting . Sorry if this is obvious - you mean in the effects loop?

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. Neptical

Neptical Well-Known Member

@Stavs Correct. EQ in the fx loop, OD driving the input up front. Best of both worlds.

Mitchell Pearrow and Stavs like this.
  4. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Doesn't have to be obvious. These guys are helping you.

He's talking about boosting the front with a well known overdrive pedal. Not in the loop.

Stavs likes this.
  5. Matopotato

Matopotato New Member

Perhaps obvious but before getting new speaker, I would bias it. Has quite an impact. I had 32/35 mV. Tried 33mV on both, sounded worse. Went for 35mV quite nice and very different from 33. But best would be to measure the plate voltage first and calculate your own bias values. But be careful, like really careful since that is in the 500V area and potentially lethal.
    I chikened out so far and got the 35 ideas from this forum and YT vids.

6. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Seriously. I always check the bias right away. Consider it normal maintenance. On a tube amp that isn't cathode biased.

and be very respectful of electricity. It killz.

SkyMonkey and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  7. Mattville

Mattville New Member

I used the DSL 401 for years. I Love the the overdriven El38s, despite a lack of low-end they provide.

When the 401 And the TSL 100 combo I also regularly use were both down, I grabbed a used 40C as my new “spare”.

I was immediately let down by the fact that it was impossible for me to use the amp as a standalone unit without any pedals.

Trying to set the gain and volume, as well as EQ, to be able to use the clean/crunch channel for rhythm, and then kick on overdrive OD1or 2 for leads always resulted in too much squealing on the OD side, OR too little to no gain on the clean crunch channel.

In crunch mode with the game cranked the 40C has a sweet a$$ sound!

And since I love the flat out “fatness” of the clean channel by itself, I opted to go with a stomp box to fix my issue.

My stomp of choice was the Exotic SL Drive. With enuff “messing around”, this little guy was able to emulate the Overdrive of the crunch setting nicely, while still allowing me to use the clean channel with its settings the way I liked.

Sadly, the only way to get a good lead setting was to Avoid OD1-2 and add a boost pedal in the loop, and an MXR Comp in the line. It sucked having to hit two pedals to go from Rhythm to lead.

I was going to borrow a friends BB preamp pedal to try in the clean section, but instead I simply got the other 2 Amps fixed. Now I only use the 40 C for recording.

I also found the 20W Setting to be a little mushy, however, I also play at a louder volume at home than most

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  8. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

:cheers:
    :welcome:
    TO THE FORUM
    I am also an owner of the Dsl40c
    They get great low volume tones, as said above me you can do it a multiple of ways, just pick the one your ears say is the best.
    On mine I like the ultra lead 2 channel, gain is at 3, volume at 1-1/2 , with an SD1 in front of the amp as a clean boost..
    Cheers

nickfox and Stavs like this.
  9. ron glover

ron glover New Member

I use mine on the green channel on the clean setting and goose it with my TS9 for crunch and engage the crunch for more gain. The DSL 40c has a great clean tone.

Mitchell Pearrow and SkyMonkey like this.
  10. Roag Jones

Roag Jones Active Member

Ii have had the dsl15, Dsl20H, and now the dsl40cr......I find the 40cr to sound great at low volumes, I run channel volume @ 3 o'clock the masters for punch, sounds great, I do have an eq in the loop. When I had the 20 I had to use my jhs at2 for bedroom volume, not the case with my 40cr....

11. Carlos G

Carlos G Member

I use it at home on the 20 watt mode and can get pretty decent sounds out of it. The clean channel is awesome, I crank up the gain on the clean channel and set an TS9 with the distortion at 0 in front of it and I just can't put my guitar down

12. Matopotato

Matopotato New Member

UpDate:
    I now did a plate measure on 40w, and got 426/427. Googled to figure out which pin is nr 3. We pried/wiggled the tubs up enough to reach with a pointy probe. That way no need to unscrew the metallic casing. Blth showed same voltage. Went for 65% in some formula I found here wich told me 37mV. Can't say I hear any difference from first biasing to 35mA. But I was surprised to see that before biasing they had floated off from 35/35 to 42/37. So perhaps this needs to be repeated? Any others who experienced that bias "moves away" over time?

SkyMonkey likes this.
  13. 5stringsdown

5stringsdown Member

I love my dsl40cr, fantastic amp......with the v type speaker which is also great.
    Better than the Creamback for this specific Marshall imho.
    I never had any fizz issues at all.....on either channel..... have done a lot of studio work with it and about 150 gigs....never a glitch.
    It records beautifully.
    The overall tone did get better once broken in.
    Although I don’t think it’s necessary because the ultra Gain channel sounds so good, even at low volume.......the Barber Gain Changer works great into the clean channel for bedroom level playing.....awesome pedal......beautiful crunch tone.......
    I also own a jcm900 and an SV20H.

Mitchell Pearrow and SkyMonkey like this.
  14. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

I guess the OP is getting the fact that there are as many way to get 'your' sound out of a 4OCR as there are 40CRs. I had a bit of fizz with mine when I first got it. That went as the speaker broke in. You can get a million great sounds without altering a thing on this amp. Despite that I stuck an alnico speaker and different tubes in mine but then I can't resist fiddling with stuff. I 'grew out' of the OD 2 mode - now I use a pedal into clean 2 and OD 1 for just about every sound I need. I find the OD2 too compressed nowadays but I recently bought an eq pedal for another amp and I think that will work wonders with the 40CR OD2 mode to lose some of the 'fatness' that I don't like with it.
    Just buy it - it's a truly great amp for the money.

15. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

You haven't gotten your DSL40CR yet? What are you waiting for! I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you get it, its just a matter of getting acquainted with it to see what it can do. You will see it can do everything on its own no pedals required, these amps get their gain from the preamp so designed to sound good at low or high volume, no worries there. The amp has 4 modes so be sure to get the 4 button footswitch or maybe even the 6 button! :yesway:

nickfox likes this.
  16. suzook

suzook Member

Agree. I got a used 40c last week, and am shocked at the clean, and dirty channel. No pedals needed! My pod go is going back!

pedecamp likes this.
  17. nickfox

nickfox Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum!

I LOVE my DSL40CR. It sits right behind my desk and I play it a lot. This is a great amp for home use. I use a treble booster into the crunch channel. The channel volume and gain is at 12:00 and the master volume is at 9:00. I always use the 40W mode. It just sounds better.

From where I'm sitting, the average volume is 85dB. You can talk over this. I keep it at this volume to protect my ears. When I'm ready to record, I turn the master up to 12:00 and it delivers that beautiful Marshall roar that we all love.

It's just a great sound. Doesn't need any pedals. It's one of those amps that you buy and you never ask yourself "should I have bought the other amp..."

suzook likes this.