Dsl40cr - OD pedals into clean channel at home volume

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Stavs, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Stavs

Stavs New Member

Hey all,

Very keen to explore buying a DSL40cr but I have a nagging doubt.

From my research I get the impression that it’s got an impressive clean channel that takes OD and distortion pedals well. Ok, that’s great.

BUT at home use volumes is the amp prone to sounding a bit fizzy (ie with pedals into clean channel)?

Some people will say why get a 40 watt amp for home use? That’s a fair question. I love the Marshall sound and I love pedals so I figure that the dsl40 could be an ideal pedal platform for me. It’s a better amp than the dsl20 and it has a better speaker and cabinet, etc. Is the dsl40 overkill for this?

many thanks for any advice!

Regards,
    Stavs

2. AdrianDSL

AdrianDSL Active Member

@Stavs welcome to the forum. I own a 40CR myself, mostly for bedroom playing and, while I'm not using OD pedals into the clean channel, here are my findings:
    - In the beginning it used to sound quite fizzy, but after playing it for about a month almost daily and 2 trips at a friend's house out in the bush where I could crank the b4stard up, the speaker seems to be broken in now and it's very smooth sounding.
    - When playing I never stand right in front of it, always in a ~30 degrees angle, that's where it sounds best for me: smooth highs, tight & full bass. Oh, it comes with plenty of mids in the package :)
    - Presence is set between 9 and 10 o'clock almost always. But I'm mostly a TS into OD1 and OD2 channel player with the amp gain set to 2 o'clock.
    - An EQ pedal in the loop works very well to roll off some of the piercing highs. On my GE-7 I've set the the 6.4khz pot almost all the way down.
    Oh and the other day I bought a 2x12 cab with Celestion G12H 70th Anniversary in it. Did an experiment and swapped the V type in the amp for a G12H, man these G12H are very scooped compared to the V, the amp definitely sounds a bit fizzy with the G12H. That pretty tells me how well the V type can actually sound, so now I'm playing through the 2x12 cab that has 1xG12H and the V type. Great speaker combo, the G12 has highs and bass, the V has mids and sounds very smooth, they complement each other really well. Don't know why the V-type gets this much bashing, it's undeserved imho.
    From my experience based on a sample set of 1(one) you shouldn't have problems to dial in a tone you like with this DSL.

3. fitz288

fitz288 Atmospheric Void Compensator Silver Supporting Member

:welcome: to the forum.
    Lots of 40C users here, I'm sure you'll get a few more to chime in soon.
    Excellent pointers there @AdrianDSL ! :h5:
    I'm a +1 for EQ in the loop on any Marshall for home use. :agreed:
    Sure, Marshalls sound better when cranked, but an EQ can really help shape your tones at lower volumes.

Rock on.:jam:

4. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

OD pedals work great on Crunch mode in clean channel. I think if one wishes to use pedals in a clean channel exclusively for distortion just get any decent sounding clean amp. Personally it is a waste of a Marshall amd a very good Crunch mode and decent OD channel too. Might as well go with the 20 is only using clean channel.
    They sound good at low volumes but fizzier in OD channel if not turned up some. Clean channel won't sound fizzy.

5. Stavs

Stavs New Member

Thanks so far for the input, fellas. Please keep it coming.

Mitchell Pearrow and fitz288 like this.
  6. Stavs

Stavs New Member

thanks for your comment @Jethro Rocker . When you say its a waste of a marshall and I may as well get any clean amp, I hear what you are saying. But I want to get classic rock tones such as acdc. I think I’d get closer to those tones through a marshall compared to a vox or fender due partly to the tubes in the marshall and the British voicing of their amps. Do you agree?

7. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

I think @Jethro Rocker is trying to ascertain whether you intend to use any of the available gain the Crunch, OD1 & OD2 channels have to offer.
    Your initial post seems to suggest you will be exclusively using the Clean channel as a platform for dirt pedals.
    That would be a waste of a Marshall amp.

I have mine hooked up in 4CM to a Boss GT-100 and use all the available preamp modes via MIDI switching.
    In front of each channel mode I have placed a switchable OD sim to effectively make the 40CR an 8 voice amp.
    None of those voices sound fizzy to me, at bedroom levels, in 20W mode.

I run a Neo G12 Century Vintage speaker in the combo, over a 112 cab containing the V-Type.
    It sounds great at any volume IMHO.

The odd thing about the DSL40CR high gain modes is that they actually have too much gain available for their own good!
    OD2 begins to mush up after about 7 on the gain dial, depending on the power of your pickups.
    If you really need more gain than that, an OD out front works better than cranking the amp gain further.

The DSL40CR is a great mid-level amp that can gig with the best, and be bedroom friendly.
    I freekin' love mine.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  8. Sir Don

Sir Don Well-Known Member

I'm about to gig with mine tomorrow night (Friday) as I've done many times. I think as a 40 watt amp it can still get some great bedroom tones but I don't think it's designed for that.

It's a gigging amp.

I've changed the speaker to a Creamback 75 and then, in turn, to an Eminence Tonker which has really hit the mark.

Pedals into a clean channel will get you some great tones at bedroom volumes no doubt about it.

Enjoy your amp, it's a great tone at a fantastic price.

9. AdrianDSL

AdrianDSL Active Member

Try this on OD2 channel: switch it from 20 to 40w, roll back the channel volume to, say, 5 and set the gain to 8. Use MV to control the overall volume. With an EQ in the loop cut some bass and, if it sounds too ear piercing, roll back the presence until it sounds thick and chunky, but not fizzy. I can actually bump my DSL40CR gain to 8 and have it sound tight, but I need the OD pedal in front of it and the EQ in the loop. At rehearsal level with drummer, bass and another guitar, it sounds best with gain between 5-6.
    Sorry for digressing. @Stavs tbh I'm not sure you'll need many (any?) distortion pedals into this amp. An overdrive yes, mine sounds boomy on its own, but with an OD as clean boost it can be pushed to brutal and beyond.

10. Stavs

Stavs New Member

I’d love to use the OD crunch channels if they can be played at home volumes. I think I got into my head that the OD crunch channels will never sound that good unless cranked (despite the master volume function). I suspect at relatively low volumes I could get better tones out of the clean channel with my pedals. What do you think?

scozz and SkyMonkey like this.
  11. Stavs

Stavs New Member

thanks for this. I keep reading that the master should be cranked at all times and not used to control the overall volume.

Mitchell Pearrow and SkyMonkey like this.
  12. k tone

k tone New Member

Great amp. I got one about a month ago. No OD pedals required. It has all the OD/ dist tones you’ll ever need in the amp. Very easy to dial in at low or high volumes on the clean or gain channels.

13. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

That may be true if you’re going for power tube distortion rather than preamp tube distortion.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  14. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head. Although I do own a Dsl, I don’t own a Dsl40, but I’ve heard many Dsl40cr owners say the amp sounds great at low volumes. And the fact that the amp has 2 master volumes I wouldn’t doubt them for a moment.

Also I agree with @Adrian R that an od pedal is all you would need dirt wise, with these amps. On both/all channels, it will tighten it up in the red/orange channels, and thicken and drive the amp more in the green channel.

Nothing heavier than a Tubescreamer or Sd1 imo.

15. Jethro Rocker

Those classic rock tones can be obtained with the Crunch mode on channel one without requiring an pedals. If you want a clean amp with pedals doing the heavy lifting, it doesn't really matter all that much which amp although Marshall still has a character to the tone. Pedals can make it more versatile, I had one for awhile. The OD channels sound better loud but it can sound quite good at lower volumes.
    That's what makes a Marshall roar like a Marshall, not the clean settings and pedals.

Mitchell Pearrow and Stavs like this.
  16. Jethro Rocker

Agreed. Not great for low volume playing at all.

Stavs likes this.
  17. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I had a bit of a laugh towards myself when you mentioned home volume.

My home volume is always loud and I could count on one hand how many times a year I might play quietly.:D

I actually prefer the green clean(not crunch)boosted with my OD pedals. trick here is to have amp gain almost maxed or a bit less then boost. Only issue here is it needs enough amp volume so that classic rock hits the open sweet spot. I don't like The green crunch voicing boosted or by itself.

I really like L2 voicing gain low with some volume straight in. I've learned to use same EQ settings between green boosted and can switch to both without issues volume wise. I have the DSL40C.

I hate playing mine without enough volume. The amp opens up and sounds better. It can sound as decent as any amp at low volume. And it's great to know it gets better with more volume.

Just to add I roll off guitar volume to get my cleans. So I never use the amps clean channel for a dedicated clean. No need to the way I play it.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  18. Hops

Hops New Member

I have a Princeton in the living room for home use. Plenty loud with a blue alnico in a closed back cab. I use a Proco Rat with it. I think the Rat is great to get a nice heavy sound. I use the volume knob on the pedal to make it home use friendly. I rediscovered the Rat and it is great. And cheap too. And no, you don't need one with the lm308 chip. The new ones are great too

19. Neptical

Neptical Well-Known Member

@Stavs Welcome aboard!

Of course the answer is because you need a 50 or 100 watt. :D:D:D

@AdrianDSL - all the absolute BEST tones of my Marshalls are an MXR 10 Band EQ in the loop and Boss SD-1 in front as a clean boost. The sculpting possibilities are quite endless . Just think of all the amps being sold because the poor souls have never tried this combination.:p

OP @Stavs ..good luck on your purchase. It won't be the last one. Lol!

Mitchell Pearrow, fitz288 and scozz like this.
  20. Mike J

Mike J Member

I put a creamback in my DSL40C. It improved the tone at low volume, but not to the same degree that pushing the volume did. Then I put a Keeley modded TS-9 in front and that kicked it up another level, but again, driving the amp still takes it up to the real sweet spot.