DSL40CR Muffled Sound

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Max Power, Mar 11, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Max Power

Max Power New Member

Hi all, I recently purchased a DSL40CR amp and have an issue with the sound. I've been playing for 30 years or so and used a number of different amps but never saw this issue before. There seems to be an attack issue with it. If I play a low E power chord, for example, nice and slowly everything sounds great. If I bang the chord hard there is a muffling of the sound, almost like a volume filter kicks in and muffles the sound. Not necessarily lowering the volume but muffling it like a blanket was thrown over it. I first noticed this phenomenon when testing the amp out with tremolo picking...yeah that heavy metal stuff. I would pick the G string at 12th fret slowly then gradually increase the pick rate. At some point the sound would go from good to muffled...significantly. This can't be normal right?
    TIA
    Max

Kochens and SkyMonkey like this.
  2. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Is this OD2 with the gain maxxed?

If so, the 40CR apparently suffers from too much bass in the gain circuit. This can cause a compression dive in the volume.

To get the best high gain OD2 tones, back off the gain to about 6 or 7 and add the extra gain needed with an OD pedal out front.

That's what I do.

Kochens, Jethro Rocker and scozz like this.
  3. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Welcome to The Marshall Forum @Max Power, (great user name btw).

@SkyMonkey is kinda like our resident Dsl40 expert. He’s quite knowledgeable about the ins’ and outs’ of getting great tones from Dsl40 amps.

Also, my good buddy @Mitchell Pearrow is quite adept at getting great tones from his Dsl40,... and his other amps too!

Imo, you can’t go wrong taking advice from either one of these members.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  4. Max Power

Max Power New Member

That sounds like what I'm experiencing but I'll verify soon.
    One other point is that the muffling is worse on my LP with a hot T500 PUP on the bridge vs other guitars with cooler PUPs.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  5. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Again, the OD2 channel has to much gain available for its own good!
    A hot pickup will exacerbate the problem.
    Some have experimented with a JJ ECC823 in V1.
    This tube has unequal triodes at 100x & 17x.
    The 17x is missed out by the Classic Clean mode, and is unaffected.
    The rest get a 17x instead of the 100x of a normal ECC83, lowering the available gain.
    They are a bugger to find in Europe though!
    In the meantime I just use less gain and an OD sim in my 4CM BOSS GT-100 setup.

6. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Yes what are the settings? If gain is too high it will compress like any high gain amp and you will lose definition. Especially on OD 2 with hot pickups.

Mitchell Pearrow, scozz and SkyMonkey like this.
  7. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Absolutely, compression loses definition, and too much gain causes compression. Try raising the master and lower the gain, or maybe you’re just in the wrong channel,...or wrong channel mode.

8. AdrianDSL

AdrianDSL Active Member

That's exactly right! Tested it myself bouncing between 3 Duncans in the bridge: JB, Custom and Black Winter. All guitars plugged straight in. The Custom was the only one that managed to stay tight for riffs and chords on OD2 with the gain dialled at 8, the other 2 were sounding very mushy.
    I find the DSL40CR very boomy sounding at low volume on its own, even when resonance rolled off completely. It sounds best boosted with a TS. When cranking it it's a different story, in that case the gain needs to be rolled back (from 7 to 6 or lower) cause the power tubes start to distort and the TS pedal tone may also need some adjustments.

Mitchell Pearrow and SkyMonkey like this.
  9. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

I roll all the bass off at low volumes and it still gets boomy. As the volume goes up you have to add the bass back in. And that's with much less gain than you use. Pedal into one of the other modes might sort it. Or you can push the tone shift button in which loses a lot of bass. Although the DSL pretends to be suitable for all types of playing I'm not sure it's the best choice for metal. But then I never play metal so what do I know?

Mitchell Pearrow and SkyMonkey like this.
  10. J.LaGrassa

J.LaGrassa Well-Known Member

I agree with some of the others that OD2 has a ridiculous amount of gain with increased low end if its cranked and hitting it with a hot pickup like the 500T will really add to the mess. I do use OD2 occasionally but I have the gain set at about 10-11:00 and it still has plenty of gain but not as compressed and my pickups are not that hot.

If you use a lot of resonance I would back that way off and see if that helps.

11. fek

fek New Member

I experienced a similar situation with a DSL100HR on the red channel. An original Koko boost is my #1 boost pedal and has been for years. Loves every amp that I have put it in front of. On the 100HR, I can't use the Koko in front of OD2. Gives me this exact muffled / ugly compressed tone on the low end.