DSL40CR + HX Effects

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by FlamesAreWicked, Oct 24, 2020.

1. FlamesAreWicked

FlamesAreWicked Member

I’m looking for an all in one solution to have some reverbs, delays, etc .. plus the ability to have a boost in front. I’ve had the helix before in the past but I ran it into a power amp and guitar cab.. sounded great but I prefer amps with glass.

The HX FX works well with this combo? By the time ya buy 2-3 quality pedals you will nearly have the same money invested as the HX unit.. I figured I’d use the 4CM to utilize all it has to offer.. I’m guessing it can do the channel switching too... how about the dual masters?

2. tygr1

tygr1 Member

Run the Helix into the effects loop return of the DSL40. Instant TUBE power amp!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

The Helix HX Effects has no Amp Sims onboard, so it would sound fairly flat going straight into an FX Return only.
    It is perfect for 4CM operation though, where you can place effects in any order, before or after an amp's preamp.

I don't have a HX, but have eyed them jealously from afar!
    From my experience with my DSL40CR and a Boss GT-100 in MIDI switching 4CM, I will have a stab at some advice.
    I also have a Boss FS-7 (more later) that I use in Momentary mode with a Boss RC-3.

I think the HX can only do channel switching in Preset Mode, where a PC message is sent for each of the 4 presets in a Bank.
    Dual masters and FX Loop ON/OFF may be do-able, but you would need either two external footswitches to run with preset mode, or program two of the onboard footswitches in Stomp Mode (but then no channel switching).
    I do not know if the HX can use binary external footswitches though.
    The manual seems only to cater to external expression pedals (pp. 7,9).
    If the HX can work with a binary footswitch then get one that is switchable between Latching and Momentary, e.g. a Boss FS-7.
    This is because I am not sure which works best with Toggle mode switching (I think it's Momentary).
    The DSL40CR CC# channel for MV switching is 13. Set the Value to a number between 2-127 for Toggle mode.
    Otherwise you would need one F/s for ON (value = 1) and another for OFF (value = 0).
    FX Loop switching CC# is 13, and all the above applies the same.
    A Boss FS-7 is a very small package 2-switch pedal with latching/momentary switching that could operate both MVs and FX Loop.
    The FS-7 does not need 9v power (external PSU only) for Momentary mode (if I am right about Toggle).
    For Latching mode and for the LEDs to light up you need power.
    But, the LEDs only light as you press the switch in Momentary mode, so are not of any real use when obscured by your foot.
    You may need 2 TS patch leads to operate an FS-7, but the manual does say the HX Pedal jacks are TRS (but only for dual function amp control, e.g. channel & reverb).
    If TRS works, an FS-7 needs only one TRS patch into jack B to operate both switches.

*EDIT* I have now found some evidence that the HX Effects (and Helix & LT) cannot work with extremal Binary Footswitches :(
    The HX Stomp can take an F/s, but no 4CM and (I think) cannot do full MIDI channel switching (4 channels but only 3 switches).
    But it took some time to write this, so I'll leave it all in because it may be helpful for anyone with a Boss GT Multi Effect.

https://line6.com/support/topic/41206-hx-effects-external-footswitch-will-not-work/

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  4. FlamesAreWicked

FlamesAreWicked Member

Well I’m not opposed to using the 6 button switch along with the HX.. could just run it in the loop as a normal stomp box.. mainly looking for multi effects without having to building a board with a half dozen or more pedals on it...

5. SlapHand

SlapHand Active Member Gold Supporting Member

I have a HX/FX and it works very well with my DSL40CR. I do not use MIDI to switch MV, but channel switching using MIDI works very well. I can't see why the other features like FX-loop on off and switching MV should be a problem.

I must admit... the unit is not in my current setup, but the reason is I have not bonded with the menus and that tiny screen with tiny letters. I have not given up on it because its a wonderful peace of gear, but these days I'm using a pedalboard with multiple pedals where I can dive right in and tweak without scrolling menus.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  6. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

7. tmingle

tmingle Well-Known Member

Ive used the helix rack with my 40C in 4CM & it works fairly well. You can bypass the Marshall's preamp & use the Helix pre's as well.

8. FlamesAreWicked

FlamesAreWicked Member

Having the helix previously was a good experience but I gotten rid of it to go back to tube amps.. I guess if I was a touring musician it would be a good setup that’s easy to transport and having all the tones in one. I’m an at home player so back to tube I went.

by the time I buy a few quality pedals, board, and all the crap that goes along with putting it together... the HX FX does it in one small package.. having a variety of reverbs and delays is worth it alone since that’s primarily what it’ll be used for.. occasional boost for the dirty clean setting on the amp I currently have dialed in..

If by some chance I get asked to play somewhere, the DSL would be loud enough and I’ll have all that I need between the 6 button switch and HX FX..... guitar skills?? 25 years in and I’m still working on that part.. :lol:

Mitchell Pearrow and SkyMonkey like this.