>

DSL40CR- Help dialing the amp in - Tone questions

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Whizzinby, Jun 17, 2020.

1. matttornado

matttornado Well-Known Member

I Use my DSL 40CR Live and my settings are like this:

Clean red channel gain & volume: 5-6
    OD 1 green: gain 7-8
    volume: 5-6
    treble: 3
    Mid: 4-5
    bass -3
    presence: 2-3
    resonance 3-5
    Power = 40 watt
    master volume: depends on the gig but usually around 1/2 way up between 4-6.

AdrianDSL and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  2. RU Experienced

RU Experienced New Member

I'm pretty new to this amp and have been working with some of the suggested settings in this thread. I have what is probably a stupid quetion (which I suppose could apply to any amp). When describing ones settings--i.e. volume 5, bass 9, etc. Do these numbers reflect the face of a clock, or the numbered position of the knob which goes from zero to 10? There's a big difference between 9 o'clock and 9 on the dial. Adding to the confusion, I see some describe putting a setting at "noon".

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. Seventh Son

Seventh Son Well-Known Member

"Noon" means pointing straight up. Unless the word "o'clock" is used, start by assuming that the numbers refer to the numbers on the panel.

I think we had a thread discussion of what should be the convention for posting settings a while ago. I don't think the thread resulted in a consensus, but it makes most sense to me to use the numbers/markers on the panel, unless the amp has no markers whatsoever. I think it is fine to refer to 5 as "noon" as a shortcut. I assume everyone knows what that means.

4. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

When ever someone asks for settings, mine are on the dial otherwise as seventh son said, the O’clock will come into play,.
    Cheers to getting your amp in the place you are searching for...

Mitch

5. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

I just read this whole thread, dunno why, I was at work so meh, I got paid for it anyhow, as I only have a baby dsl but....
    Noone has really mentioned the guitar settings, I remember the OP said he had played acoustic for 10 years previously and forked out an bought an LP
    The tonal changes you can get on just your guitar are amazing. I rarely twiddle with my amp for tone changes apart from switching channels, I always fiddle with guitar more.
    P. S. I should add the attack on the guitar changes the tone heaps, I watched some Rhett skull video I think ( he bores me but the old dude he skyped with was cool and put on a great demo, I'll see if I can find it

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  6. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

Bah can't find it, Tim Peirce talked about keeping the guitar volumes low and the amp dialled up to play both clean and dirty just by different attacks you use on the guitar, was a really good watch and I've used it since, I still suck, but I can suck in lots of different ways now :)

7. RU Experienced

well I just figured out that if using the DSL "emulated out", the MVs and FX loop are AWOL. I have a lot to learn about amp circuits I guess, but it seems if one wanted to utilize the emulated out, those controls would be nice to have.

8. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

The em out is a line level to go into another amp so it can only be at a fixed level.

9. nickfox

nickfox Well-Known Member

I've been wanting to tell you for a long time that I own this pedal. :)

n

PXL_20210106_204632901.jpg

10. purpleplexi

How is it? Actually since I got the SV I've been thinking I might change my handle to littleplexi then you can be purpleplexi....

11. RU Experienced

Well, that's interesting. From the Owners Manual:

".......
    Emulated line level output for headphones or connection to a mixer. The DSL is equipped with a high quality emulated output using Softube-designed studio cabinet emulation. This ensures that your headphone and output signal from this socket provide the best possible tone for practice or recording."

So, the effects in the loop are not factored in when going for 'best possible tone'. Using my headphones for practice, I'll just need to run all effects into the front I guess.

12. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

I thought the FX Loop was before the E/out?
    I'm sure I did a check and my conclusion for the DSL40CR was:

Channel Gain > Channel Volume > EQ & Tone Shift > FX Send > FX Return > Reverb > E/Out > Presence & Resonance > MVs

Someone correct me if that's wrong!

13. RU Experienced

I stand CORRECTED. FX indeed ARE included in the EM Out. I've been using the 6 position foot controller and must have stepped on one too many switches. Sorry for the confusion folks. I'm new and learning as I go. Appreciate all the help

Mitchell Pearrow and SkyMonkey like this.
  14. purpleplexi

15. CBenson89

CBenson89 Member

How do you guys set the amp up so it doesn't sound fuzzy? I have a new DSL40CR and I feel like if I turn the gain up to high or the treble it starts to sound really fuzzy there is too much treble. I use a 2009 gibson sg standard and a 2019 Gibson LP Standard 60's edition. I literally took the first amp back to the store because I thought it was broken and now the same issues still happen. I just feel like I can't get a good tone or if I get a good tone there isn't any gain. Thank you so much!

16. Doug63

Doug63 New Member

what is the difference between the C and the CR? I have the DSL 40C its decent

Mitchell Pearrow and SkyMonkey like this.
  17. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

The CR has better a stock speaker in the V-Type, and two Master (Master?) Volumes.
    There is also the option of MIDI switching (all channel modes, MVs, and FX Loop ON/OFF).
    And all modes, MVs, and FX Loop can be switched via the PEDL-91016 footswitch (costs extra).
    The overall tone of the 40CR is slightly darker than the 40C, so no bright cap mod needed!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  18. CosmoKramer

CosmoKramer Member

Check your output tube bias man. I noticed my 40CR was sounding kinda fuzzy and the low end was flubby at high gain. Checked the tubes and they were biased at 30mV and 32MV; I pushed both up to around 38mV and it sounds perfect now, more full sounding and less hairy on the top end, and way more low end thump. Sounds like a Marshall's supposed to sound now. Maybe they're set low from the factory for longer tube life but I think the amp sounds better with the tubes running on higher voltage. Keep in mind Marshalls are pretty harsh sounding to cut through a mix and this is a loud amp. If you want good bedroom sound level tone playing without other instruments a pedal is really a better bet. I've had great luck running a Plexitone in front, sounds incredible at any volume. A good reverb in the loop helps too.

tincbtrar and SkyMonkey like this.
  19. CBenson89

CBenson89 Member

So I just got a multimemter in and biased my amp. I can't play right now becasue my daughter is asleep but both inputs read 40 and 41 MV when the optimum number is 35. What effect will this have on my amp now that I have it in the correct range. Thank you!

20. tincbtrar

tincbtrar Active Member

Agree completely. My plate voltage with the bias turned down was like 435, so I shot for 65 percent @ 38mv.

35mv and below sounded thin and cold. Much happier with the amp now. Ill also note that it was set to 37.6 from factory, both tubes.