DSL40cr / Headrush MX5 / MIDI

JBA

Reaction score
Let me what you guys think about the signal delay on the MX5. I find it gets noticeable for me on fast licks.. kinda screws up my timing a bit although I’m getting used to it. Maybe the Noise gate threshold is part of it too. I also could have something set wrong, seems to be I played with some delay setting when I first got it.

Jras

Reaction score
Im looking to set up the MX5 to switch my DSL channels along with each “Rig” setup in the MX5. I found a good thread for MIDI on the DSL40cr but can’t seem to find much for the MX5.

Opened up the MX5 yesterday and it was pretty easy to get going considering I never played with the headrush gear before. But....

Didn’t get to far as I noticed my signal levels were all messed up using the 4 cable method. Input to the amp was either to hot or to low. Also noticed different volume changes engaging the dSL effects loop. Come to find out the MX5 has settings for the loop and outputs so I thought it’s just a matter of finding the right signal settings combinations and I’d be good... nope.

Here’s my first learning I’d like to share for anyone using this specific multi effects board:
Set the FX Loop block “Send” to +4.1db, then global setting “Main out level” to >Amp, and “FX return level” to >Rack. The Main (physical) Volume knob needs to be cranked to 11. This normalizes all your signals. I have no idea why Headrush doesn’t have a default normalized setting for external amp and 4 cable setup.. I could not find any setting that was properly referenced for an external amp and 4 cable connect setup. I finally gave up and connected it to a signal generator scoping the input vs output of each stage to settle on the settings above.

1. First question: has anyone else run into this issue with this setup?

2. Does anyone have experience or tips using the MX5 MIDI out to switch the dsl40 or any other amp by “rig” (patch)?

It seems like it could be a pretty powerful little setup (if I can get it to work lol).
This is why I want a fractal or Kemper,ore expensive but Wayyy better quality, amp tones that actually work thru the power section of tube amp, good enough for Metallica to use live ,good enough for me!

Jras

Reaction score
Thanks FracStrat. I’ve got it sorted now with the +4.1 dB increase on the loop block. It seems to be a quirk with the MX5. As far as eq’s (and parametrics) this thing has all those goodies. I’m trying to go with a complete one multi effects pedal solution instead of discrete pedals with this little setup.
I use a old Digitech rp7 with my DSL 40, run it into loop with delay,chorus,noise gate an eq, run the tube screamer in the front, also have the 6 button FS for 4 channels on DSL,sounds killer, I'm getting a fractal in the future for more amp tones to experiment with, cheaper than buying a boogie I figure lol

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
Ive got a Digitech RP12 that I purchased 20 years ago!
And a brand new Headrush MX5 purchased earlier this year.
So the technology is 20 years apart!
Someday the vintage Digitech will be worth a fortune! LOL!

JBA

Reaction score
This is why I want a fractal or Kemper,ore expensive but Wayyy better quality, amp tones that actually work thru the power section of tube amp, good enough for Metallica to use live ,good enough for me!
I never even bothered with the MX5. I had tried it way back with a zoom g3 and it was pretty disappointing.

JBA

Reaction score
Let me what you guys think about the signal delay on the MX5. I find it gets noticeable for me on fast licks.. kinda screws up my timing a bit although I’m getting used to it. Maybe the Noise gate threshold is part of it too. I also could have something set wrong, seems to be I played with some delay setting when I first got it.
I’m not talking high speed level ten shredding here. Nobody else experience this? I had two zoom g5n’s (pre and post) and there seemed to be less overall signal delay. I only have one of my two G3’s left so I can‘t A/B it now. Almost all my pedals are gone now too. I’m still really happy overall, it just took me some getting used too. The best I can describe it is like playing 30 feet out in front of your amp vs up close; It’s subtle but you just adjust.

Edit: I since watched a video that tested the headrush gigboard at 5msec latency from input to output. So I’m guessing that could total to no more than 10msec for the 4 cable method. That equates to about standing 10 feet further from the amp. More than I thought it would be but not enough to “disconnect“ me from the amp. I’ll play around with the noise gate tonight as I suspect the initial threshold is what is throwing me off.

Edit 2: Just reporting back..
Its not the noise gate. It feels like backing away from the amp around 10 to 15 feet to me which is a 10 to 15 msec delay. I switched the loop off and as I expected it pretty much cut the latency in half.

Still really happy with this setup!

Last edited:

RedTag

Reaction score
Happy to report the 7 cable method works and I've had great success. Barely any hum over and above the standard Strat single coil. I had to turn on stereo send and return in the Global Settings. Sonically I don't know if it is dual mono or stereo as I am a complete newbie but sounds pretty good especially on the full 40W mode on the dsl40cr's.

Signal path as follows
Guitar to MX5 input
MX5 outs to amp returns (individual cables)
MX5 Stereo Send to amp inputs via splitter cable (Hosa 117)
Amp sends back to MX5 stereo return via splitter cable (Hosa 117)

I am quite happy I didn't have to invest in a A/B/Y pedal 😀

Attachments

• 20220316_200113.jpg
    20220316_200113.jpg
    602.8 KB · Views: 3

RedTag

Reaction score
Happy to report the 7 cable method works and I've had great success. Barely any hum over and above the standard Strat single coil. I had to turn on stereo send and return in the Global Settings. Sonically I don't know if it is dual mono or stereo as I am a complete newbie but sounds pretty good especially on the full 40W mode on the dsl40cr's.

Signal path as follows
Guitar to MX5 input
MX5 outs to amp returns (individual cables)
MX5 Stereo Send to amp inputs via splitter cable (Hosa 117)
Amp sends back to MX5 stereo return via splitter cable (Hosa 117)

I am quite happy I didn't have to invest in a A/B/Y pedal 😀
And the pic of the amps

Attachments

• 20220316_200801.jpg
    20220316_200801.jpg
    607.2 KB · Views: 6

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don´t know about the MX5 but i have a Headrush Gigboard and i put down the noice gate to about 8-12% and then it worked great.

Cheers :cheers:

Reactions: JBA

Latest posts