DSL40cr / Headrush MX5 / MIDI

JBA

Reaction score
Im looking to set up the MX5 to switch my DSL channels along with each “Rig” setup in the MX5. I found a good thread for MIDI on the DSL40cr but can’t seem to find much for the MX5.

Opened up the MX5 yesterday and it was pretty easy to get going considering I never played with the headrush gear before. But....

Didn’t get to far as I noticed my signal levels were all messed up using the 4 cable method. Input to the amp was either to hot or to low. Also noticed different volume changes engaging the dSL effects loop. Come to find out the MX5 has settings for the loop and outputs so I thought it’s just a matter of finding the right signal settings combinations and I’d be good... nope.

Here’s my first learning I’d like to share for anyone using this specific multi effects board:
Set the FX Loop block “Send” to +4.1db, then global setting “Main out level” to >Amp, and “FX return level” to >Rack. The Main (physical) Volume knob needs to be cranked to 11. This normalizes all your signals. I have no idea why Headrush doesn’t have a default normalized setting for external amp and 4 cable setup.. I could not find any setting that was properly referenced for an external amp and 4 cable connect setup. I finally gave up and connected it to a signal generator scoping the input vs output of each stage to settle on the settings above.

1. First question: has anyone else run into this issue with this setup?

2. Does anyone have experience or tips using the MX5 MIDI out to switch the dsl40 or any other amp by “rig” (patch)?

It seems like it could be a pretty powerful little setup (if I can get it to work lol).

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
I have my DSL40CR hooked up in 4CM and MIDI switching with a Boss GT-100.
You have to set each patch individually to enable the GT-100 FX Loop and use the DSL40CR preamp.
Otherwise the preset patch amp sims and effects go straight to the FX Return (which is OK if you like the patch).

Using the MX5 manual: https://www.headrushfx.com/amfile/file/download/file/1307/product/9057/

First set up the amp and MX5 in the 4 Cable Method: https://rolandcorp.com.au/blog/4-cable-method-4cm
Set the FX Loop to ON for the patch (p. 29?).
Turn on MIDI Send and set the MX5 to Omni (p. 31).
Then set the patch to send a PC# (p. 21).
When you select a User Patch, the PC# should be sent and switch the DSL40CR.

The DSL40CR PC# repeat every four numbers. So, e.g. PC# 1 = Classic Clean, PC#5 = Classic Clean, etc.

JBA

Reaction score
Add a simple passive Volume box inline with the EFX Return ..
Better yet .. An EQ Pedal with it’s own Cut/Boost ..
Thanks FracStrat. I’ve got it sorted now with the +4.1 dB increase on the loop block. It seems to be a quirk with the MX5. As far as eq’s (and parametrics) this thing has all those goodies. I’m trying to go with a complete one multi effects pedal solution instead of discrete pedals with this little setup.

Last edited:

JBA

Reaction score
I have my DSL40CR hooked up in 4CM and MIDI switching with a Boss GT-100.
You have to set each patch individually to enable the GT-100 FX Loop and use the DSL40CR preamp.
Otherwise the preset patch amp sims and effects go straight to the FX Return (which is OK if you like the patch).

Using the MX5 manual: https://www.headrushfx.com/amfile/file/download/file/1307/product/9057/

First set up the amp and MX5 in the 4 Cable Method: https://rolandcorp.com.au/blog/4-cable-method-4cm
Set the FX Loop to ON for the patch (p. 29?).
Turn on MIDI Send and set the MX5 to Omni (p. 31).
Then set the patch to send a PC# (p. 21).
When you select a User Patch, the PC# should be sent and switch the DSL40CR.

The DSL40CR PC# repeat every four numbers. So, e.g. PC# 1 = Classic Clean, PC#5 = Classic Clean, etc.
Thanks for all the info!
:cheers:
I found your post (past and present) on midi with this amp very helpful to get me going on the DSL end. Tomorrow I’ll have some time to go at the MX5 MIDI send options. I want to avoid a separate midi pedal directing both the dsl and MX5 and would like to set up multiple “rigs” in the MX5 that automatically switch to a given amp channel of my choice. So if I build a “clean” rig (patch) in the MX5 as an example, when selecting this rig (or patch) the midi will automatically order the dsl to switch via midi to green clean.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Unlike the GT-100, I think the MX5 allows you to select the PC# sent by each user patch.
The same PC# can probably be used multiple times too.
So you could have a whole bank of Crunch patches.
On the GT-100 PC# are set, so each bank has to have all 4 channels, in ascending order.
Check the DSL40CR MIDI info in the manual for the PC# needed for selecting each channel.

JBA

Reaction score
Unlike the GT-100, I think the MX5 allows you to select the PC# sent by each user patch.
The same PC# can probably be used multiple times too.
So you could have a whole bank of Crunch patches.
On the GT-100 PC# are set, so each bank has to have all 4 channels, in ascending order.
Check the DSL40CR MIDI info in the manual for the PC# needed for selecting each channel.
Had a quick look last night and it looks like I can assign it to each patch like you mentioned which is exactly what I’m looking to do. The plan is to to set up a few different pedal board layouts and foot switch assignments for each of the 4 dsl channels. In each one I’ll use pre and/or post eq’s to get the sound I want which is a work around to the fixed eq on the amp. On the cleans, I like to lower the signal into the amp, do a tone stack correction from my Marshall to a Fender amp of choice, then re-boost the level in the output section. This is how I run my current discrete pedal board. I have two other digital setups like this, one with two zoom g3xn’s and another with G5’s: these zoom pedal boards are what I’m trying to replace with one clean and simple MX5 as this will achieve what I’ve always wanted (for a reasonable price). So far just the better drop tuning tracking/sound is worth the upgrade alone.. and midi switching is the icing on the cake. Later I’ll pick away at setlists although I’ve rarely used them other than for very specific delay effects, as I typically just use stomps to approximate what I want.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
I do the DSL Clean/Crunch volume correction in the GT-100.
That frees up the DSL MV's for volume boost.
But mostly I do it that way because if I run my 2nd amp for stereo, it doesn't have the post FX loop auto-MV selection of the DSL.

Also, the 6-button footswitch works alongside MIDI switching, unlike the 2-button.
So, something to consider.

Have fun @JBA.

JBA

Reaction score
I do the DSL Clean/Crunch volume correction in the GT-100.
That frees up the DSL MV's for volume boost.
But mostly I do it that way because if I run my 2nd amp for stereo, it doesn't have the post FX loop auto-MV selection of the DSL.

Also, the 6-button footswitch works alongside MIDI switching, unlike the 2-button.
So, something to consider.

Have fun @JBA.
Thanks SkyMonkey. This is a really slick setup. Using the mx5 parametrics and level correction with midi control makes the dslc40cr a real usable 4+ channel amp.

RedTag

Reaction score
I have just received my MX5 and after about an hour of playing with it I am liking it.
Thanks @JBA and @SkyMonkey for some handy tips.

I started researching Pedals, and quickly realised pedals can get very expensive very quickly. And as I am not a traditionalist, I don't mind experimenting with Digital configs
and I believe it will keep be busy for a while.

My intention is to ultimately plug it into 2 DSL40CR's but for now I am starting slowly. For now, I've hooked it up to one of them using the 4CM.
So far these have been my learnings and observations ( I am still learning heaps)

1. When I first plugged in via the 4CM, the output volumes were almost non existent. You'll need to play with the "Out" Block and change the volume as some of the Stock Presets do.
If not, you'll have to dial up the Volume Knob on the MX5 to max or change the FX Block Loop Volumes.

2. Midi: You cannot reuse PC Numbers across Rigs. It needs to be unique across all Rigs. I believe this is because the MX5 can Send and Receive PC#. But quirky, as you should be able to send the PC# across rigs. . Luckily DSL40CR repeats the PC numbers after every 4 (Clean=PC1, PC5 etc., mathematically Mod 4)

3. Haven't figure out a way to send Midi CC# as the DSL can receive CC# for FX and Master Volume Change

4. If you use a Midi PC Number in a rig and you happen to delete the rig, you've lost that PC number forever unless you reset the unit.

5. Does anyone know if the DSL Sends a Rack or Stomp Level ouput on the FX Send. That determines the FX Return Setup in the Global Settings.

6. One of my DSL's has a slight drop in volume when FX Loop is engaged, that seems to have mysteriously disappeared since connecting the MX5. Before the MX5, the volume drop was noticeable but not annoying

7. You can set the lock screen image. I am trying to set it to a blank screen to help extend the screen's life. Still experimenting.

Will report back as I find more

Last edited:

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
Following!
I picked up another DSL40CR yesterday.
I have a MX5 coming hopefully latter this week, or early next week.
Looking forward to using 2 different DSL40's in stereo, via the Headrush MX5.
I feel retarded with the MX5, as I have not played with digital modeling in many years!
BIG learning curve ahead for me.
Following as a result.

JBA

Reaction score
I have just received my MX5 and after about an hour of playing with it I am liking it.

I started researching Pedals, and quickly realised pedals can get very expensive very quickly. And as I am not a traditionalist, I don't mind experimenting with Digital configs

My intention is to ultimately plug it into 2 DSL40CR's but for now I am starting slowly. For now, I've hooked it up to one of them using the 4CM.
So far these have been my learnings and observations ( I am still learning heaps)

1. When I first plugged in via the 4CM, the output volumes were almost non existent. You'll need to play with the "Out" Block and change the volume as some of the Stock Presets do.
If not, you'll have to dial up the Volume Knob on the MX5 to max or change the FX Block Loop Volumes.

2. Midi: You cannot reuse PC Numbers across Rigs. It needs to be unique across all Rigs. I believe this is because the MX5 can Send and Receive PC#. But quirky, as you should be able to send the PC# across rigs. . Luckily DSL40CR repeats the PC numbers after every 4 (Clean=PC1, PC5 etc., mathematically Mod 4)

3. Haven't figure out a way to send Midi CC# as the DSL can receive CC# for FX and Master Volume Change

4. If you use a Midi PC Number in a rig and you happen to delete the rig, you've lost that PC number forever unless you reset the unit.

5. Does anyone know if the DSL Sends a Rack or Stomp Level ouput on the FX Send. That determines the FX Return Setup in the Global Settings.

6. One of my DSL's has a slight drop in volume when FX Loop is engaged, that seems to have mysteriously disappeared since connecting the MX5. Before the MX5, the volume drop was noticeable but not annoying

7. You can set the lock screen image. I am trying to set it to a blank screen to help extend the screen's life. Still experimenting.

No problem brother.. a few of us are on this path together now.. SkyMonkey actually got me off to a great start!

On lunch break so this will be quick hit for now.. how to normalize the MX5 levels: Not sure if it matters but I’m running the late firmware version before this resent update.

Global settings Main output level set to amp, fx return level set to rack, main volume pot cranked to 11. Now the fx loop block send needs to be set to +4.1 dB and return I believe was 0.0 dB.

Using these settings should maintain the same guitar level into your amp and also have zero volume change with loop engaged or disengaged.

If you want to setup a rig with more clean boost then increase the fx block loop dB higher than +4.1 (hint this give us the gain we all want on green clean). If you want less (cleaner) then go lower than 4.1 dB.
If your rig is too quiet then increase your return above 0.0db accordingly. If it’s too loud compared to other rigs then lower the return below 0.0 dB To the desired level. (Tip here is you can make your rigs all the same volume or Louder or quieter as needed) Now the masters on the amp can be volumes or a boost and no longer level correction knobs ;-)
Another tip is use a parametric block before the fx block to change the Marshall tone stack voice. You can lower input volume to reduce gain (but not really needed on this clean green in this amp, then pull down a mid frequency of your choice with a wide band cut to aim for a very convincing fender, vox, etc.. tone stack sound (if your a Marshall guy in a pinch lol). Great for live sets really. Of course you can also add an eq after the fx block as it would behave as though inserted in the amps fx loop.
cheers!

edit.. lol forgot I already posted all this above.

Last edited:

JBA

Reaction score

#4 is interesting. I haven’t deleted yet.. just keep adding.

I just used the +4 method propose by SkyMonkey for midi so far but haven’t experimented with setting to tx only to see if this goes away. You are right, I also didn’t get why we can’t use the same code as many times as we like. Going into this I assumed that was how it would work. Weird. well there is new software out. Maybe it “addresses” this (bad pun Lol). If not I’ll get around to sending them feedback to get clarification or a fix.

JBA

Reaction score
When using the Headrush MX5 and 2, DSL40CR's for a stereo effect.....

Does this cable diagram look correct?

5 cable method:

View attachment 102966
Yep looks good. Splitter from the MX5 fx send to feed both amps: 7 cable method. :D

Can’t remember if the mx5 send and return are stereo trs. If so, then you could go stereo pre effects too, and will use the pre amp section of both amps. I’ve attached the wiring diagram:

SIHS method
1645847975795.jpeg

Snakes.. I hate snakes..

Last edited:

RedTag

Reaction score
Snakes.. I hate snakes..

Australia, where I am from, is full of snakes! (and not to mention Spiders, Sharks, Croc's, Politicians etc., etc., !) and some are way more deadlier than others.

On the MX5, both the send and return are TRS. If you set the SEND and Return in the Global Setting to Stereo, I've noticed that
Adding an FX Block in a Rig changes the little icon above Out to 2 Intersecting Circle to indicate Stereo Outputs. Other wise it's a Mono with a Single circle Icon.

I may have asked the exact same question on the MX5 forum, and a person named @Tygg commented that he has used the Splitter cables
on both Send and Return successfully with no noticable hum issues thus making it a 7CM method.

And what would be really nice is if the modelling software allows you to put different effects on the left and right sides of the FX block which I doubt they'll consider that.

I have the Splitter Cables on order (Hosa YPP-117) and will let you know how i go.

My only showstopper for a Stereo setup is the power outlets in the room. I have 1 busted power outlet
and the other one has a few smallish appliances connected to it.

Anyone know what the peak current draw might be when the DSL40CR is cranked to say half Volume and half MV ?
A rough guess may be Ok too.

I just need to make sure I dont't exceed 8 amps (we run at 240V/10A) peak with the Guitar Amps and everything else connected
in a dangerous "birds nest" of wires.

Last edited:

JBA

Reaction score
Australia, where I am from, is full of snakes! (and not to mention Spiders, Sharks, Croc's, Politicians etc., etc., !) and some are way more deadlier than others.

On the MX5, both the send and return are TRS. If you set the SEND and Return in the Global Setting to Stereo, I've noticed that
Adding an FX Block in a Rig changes the little icon above Out to 2 Intersecting Circle to indicate Stereo Outputs. Other wise it's a Mono with a Single circle Icon.

I may have asked the exact same question on the MX5 forum, and a person named @Tygg commented that he has used the Splitter cables
on both Send and Return successfully with no noticable hum issues thus making it a 7CM method.

And what would be really nice is if the modelling software allows you to put different effects on the left and right sides of the FX block which I doubt they'll consider that.

I have the Splitter Cables on order (Hosa YPP-117) and will let you know how i go.

My only showstopper for a Stereo setup is the power outlets in the room. I have 1 busted power outlet
and the other one has a few smallish appliances connected to it.

Anyone know what the peak current draw might be when the DSL40CR is cranked to say half Volume and half MV ?
A rough guess may be Ok too.

I just need to make sure I dont't exceed 8 amps (we run at 240V/10A) peak with the Guitar Amps and everything else connected
in a dangerous "birds nest" of wires.
Great info thanks. You are good on one outlet with both amps. Matter off fact you want to keep your amps and pedal all on the same supply to minimized ground loop noise.

That last critter is the worst.

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
My used MX5 just arrived in the mail!
Unboxing now.
Looking forward to Redtags results with the 7 cable method, as well as finding this "MX5 Forum" that Redtag mentioned.
I have no idea on current draw on the DSL40's....
I would simply plug them in, and see what happens!
I have so much catching up to do on the MX5.
My first modeler in 20 years!
I do still have a old Digitech.
But this MX5 is state of the art, and in a much smaller box!
Looking forward to the results of the 7 cable method, and finding that MX5 forum!

Latest posts