DSL40CR broken in less than a week😡

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a DSL40 last year from Guitar Center. Picked it up, no box, no papers so expressed my concern to the salesman. He said "Oh it should be ok, if not you've got 45 days to return it".
Ok, so I took it home. I plugged it in and let it warm up on the 20w side. I started at low volume and gradually increased as I played for awhile.
That evening, we were watching TV I turned it on to play for a bit.
I got popping and crackling at low volume on all channels.
I returned it the next day.
I tried out a DSL20CR and liked it but didn't buy it.
After researching the amp I bought the DSL20CR from Sweetwater. I love the amp and have not had one problem out of it. However, I've seen alot of the DSL40 combos for sale used.
Could be something wrong in the circuitry design maybe? Idk.
:welcome:
To The Forum
Well I wonder how the OP made out.

Mitch

JBA

Reaction score
So I was in tone heaven and then pow 💥 !!! I received this amp a little over a week ago from Sweetwater. As usual it was well packaged. Took my time carefully unpacking it. Since it was extremely cold, and this is a tube amp, I was sure to let it sit overnight after unpacking it. I figured it would be a good precaution to let the amp sit for a day to acclimate to my 70 degree home, before powering it up for the first time. Then I started using it, and it was great! Experimented with the 4 different channels on 20 watt mode for 3-4 days. Volumes never over 8:00. So heres when it went out. All my effects were in a chain coming into the front of the amp. No problems, all channels worked fine. Then I decided to separate the delay and phaser and run those two into to the effects loop. Made sure to run send and returns correctly. Fired up the loop button, and it worked fine, delay and phaser sounded great. I left the amp on stanby an hour or so, came back. Turned the amp back on, and heard a hissing crackling coming from OD1. Turned off the effects loop, still a steady hissing crackling staticky sound. Unplugged all effects from loop and front end, ran guitar straight into amp…..still hissing and crackling in OD1 and OD2, gain completely gone. Now I understand tube amps blow tubes, but in less than two weeks? The returns department guy wants to send me replacement tubes and says these things happen. I want to return it for a new one period. I expect to have to learn to retube and work on this amp eventually. However I barely pushed this amp, its never been moved. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Well I think you win because you may have just beat the dsl20 record! :p

JBA

Reaction score
Marshall wins cause there are still peeps
buying their faultridden products.
True that, I’m one of them. Cause I’m a sucker for that sound.. It’s a pain but I can say that the two duds I’ve had were refunded and the other exchanged without hassle or question for a good one.

edit: not so bad considering how many amps I’ve bought.

1653605199142.jpeg

Last edited: