DSL40c Review

crisis

Reaction score
Price

At almost £600 it is not a cheap small amplifier, but for the serious gigging musician, it is a small price to pay for the end result.
Cool review. I am a bit surprised that it was so expensive over there. I recently bought mine off eBay from an Australian music shop for AUS$829 shipped which I thought was an absolute bargain. We usually get reamed here in Oz.

Dust Bowl

Reaction score
Well, after one gig and a rehearsal the amp developed a fault.

When running it in the rehearsal room on the Classic Gain channel with the crunch switch disengaged, so super clean, we could all talk over me playing with the volume up full! the Ultra gain channel was absolutely fine.

I guess there will be some pointing the Union Jack coated finger at the fact that the new DSL range is made in the far east, but you know what, shit happens with gear.

But the most important thing is that I got in my car the next morning and took it back to PMT in Norwich, and asked for another one. I love this amp!

iron broadsword

Reaction score
Was prolly just a bad preamp tube or something... But glad you got it sorted.

Greatwhitenorth

Reaction score
Mine had a bad preamp tube in V2 right off the bat. I think it's been documented in the DSL40C mega thread that this was an issue(at least when they first came out) Once I started rolling preamp tubes mine found the sweet spot I was looking for. Great review by the way OP.

Dust Bowl

Reaction score
Mine had a bad preamp tube in V2 right off the bat. I think it's been documented in the DSL40C mega thread that this was an issue(at least when they first came out) Once I started rolling preamp tubes mine found the sweet spot I was looking for. Great review by the way OP.

Thank you, I too am glad it is now sorted!

I am sure there is a thread for this, but having been a Marshall owner and player for almost 2 decades, the search for the most complimentary OD pedal for Rock and Blues has been a quest we all share (cranking our big block Marshall amp is not always an option)

I can honestly say that for me I have found "The One" and I strongly encourage any Marshall amp user that wants that Marshall tone but isn't getting it from their current rig to try the Rothwell Hellbender.

Details can be found here rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/hellbender.html

I will post a review of this pedal if anyone is interested, but you should read how this pedal is designed, and checkout some of the demo's on Youtube. I have been using and loving this pedal for around 3 years and am looking to buy another as a backup even though my current one has never let me down despite it looking a bit road worn.

Last edited:

Latest posts