Dsl40c Footswitch Input Problem

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by shakethedevil, Jun 29, 2016.

1. shakethedevil

shakethedevil New Member

Hey all, I seem to have a prob with the footswitch input on my DSL40c where it won't change channels anymore via the footswitch. Front panel button changing is fine.

At first I thought it may have been the footswitch itself, and tried using my other 2 button switch from my Haze40 with no change. I then used the DSL footswitch on the Haze and it worked. I've sprayed a touch of contact cleaner in the input and also on the jack and pulled in and out several times to see if that made a difference, but no joy.

At the moment I'm using a Boss AB200 pedal with just a mono jack and it works to change channels. Can anyone give me a hint as to why this would be working? And what may be the initial problem anyway with the footswitch input?

thanks in advance :)
    Rod

2. Jazz P Bass

Jazz P Bass Active Member

The DSL40C uses a programmed at the factory microcontroller for the switching functions.

The critical one (well, they all are critical) is the Ft Sw Detect signal.
    It is a function of the plug lifting a normally grounded contact inside the jack.

It's easy enough to see what is going on by monitoring the input pins at the microcontroller.
    The inputs are Vdc level shifted.

3. shakethedevil

shakethedevil New Member

cheers for that. Over my head lol but appreciate the reply :)

4. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

Chances are the cable has a problem. Replace the cable & plug.

5. shakethedevil

shakethedevil New Member

yeah tried it on my Haze which uses same 2 button and works on that. Tried the Haze footswitch on the DSL and nothing, but works on the Haze. So must be the input itself, though as I mentioned I've been using a Boss AB pedal with a mono plug and it's been working on the DSL to change the channel anyway. Dunno if that's cause it's battery powered? At a loss lol.

6. Don

Don New Member

This is kind of an old thread, but I have a DSL40C with the same issue and I have a solution that worked for my amp.

Looking at the schematic of the channel switching, you can see that the sleeve connection on the footswitch jack is grounded when there's no footswitch connected.

On my amp, this was not making contact. When I pressed on the contact with a chopstick, the connection was made and the switch on the front panel functioned.

Although, the proper repair would be to replace the jack, I tweaked the ground contact with a pocket knife and it makes the connection and functions properly.
    dsl40c_switching.jpg