DSL40 CR issues with too much treble

matttornado

Reaction score
I'm telling you, turn the Presence OFF. Start there. I was playing mine again last night and when I turned the presence up t to about 9 oclock, it started to get razor thin treble.

I also keep my treble control at about 9 oclock.

Kochens

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently bought this amp, and it's out of the box killing my band members and myself with piercing highs, no matter how much I turn the treble down. I even put a 6 band EQ into my FX board daisy chain and then switched it to being on the fx loop in the back, but that just dulls the overall sound as I turn the high end slightly down. I'm playing both a Tele and a LP using the first channel 1 setting as clean, then it's gain as a mild dirty rhythm. Channel 2 is used for more high gain rhythm and dirty leads. All channels are producing ear piercing high treble. I leave the presence at 5. I don't know how to fix this. Feels like I bought a real lemon of an amp... or is this just what new Marshalls are?
The CR are not a bright amp, it has a dark tone with marshall "ump" maybe a preamp tube are bad.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
:welcome:
To The Forum
I have 2 of the older Dsl40c’s.. I don’t find them bright and anytime I have played the CR I didn’t find them bright either.. as said above you have to let the speakers break in, and if you can try another one and see if it exhibits the same tones as your amp.. when I play my Strat I push in the tone switch, and it take’s some of the highs away.. but thin an bright are not what I hear..
Good luck on getting it worked out.. they are great amps for a reason.

Cheers
Mitch

JBA

Reaction score
I'm telling you, turn the Presence OFF. Start there. I was playing mine again last night and when I turned the presence up t to about 9 oclock, it started to get razor thin treble.

I also keep my treble control at about 9 oclock.
Agreed for a Strat..
The CR are not a bright amp, it has a dark tone with marshall "ump" maybe a preamp tube are bad.
Agreed for a LesPaul..

Matopotato

Reaction score
.... If not then set the Resonance and Presence to 0 and adjust your EQ the way you like it, then slowly dial in the Presence till your tone is cutting and in your face (Band Level) then slowly dial in the Resonance to get a nice Chug when muting strings. ...
Thanks! Made a difference!
Then a TrebleBooster diy clone of rangemaster for the Strat. Wow!

Attachments

• 20220408_233422.jpg
    20220408_233422.jpg
    770.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Old Punker

Reaction score
I don't have a DSL but with any amp the final tone that you hear is the result of EVERYTHING in your signal chain from your guitar to your speaker cab(s).

Some guitars, like your Tele, are going to be pretty bright through almost any amp. You may also want to look at all of the pedals you are using as some can seriously affect overall tone.

IME with bright amps don't worry about turning your treble or presence controls really low, as others have mentioned. I've also found it's a good idea to stay away from open back speaker cabs with a bright amp. Pre amp tube selection can also make a difference.

Antmax

Reaction score
I'd play if some more to get the speakers sorted. Usually with a new speaker it sounds really rough with hardly any lows. It takes a few hours for the harshness to go and bottom end to come in. Eventually the frequencies balance out. Last time I got a combo, I played it an hour or two each day for a weekend and it was already noticeably better.

I also found that the mullard reissue tubes are a bit warmer and fuller sounding, especially the CV4004 compared to the stock ones. I'd see if the speakers improve after a few hours before doing anything.

Old Punker

Reaction score
I'd play if some more to get the speakers sorted. Usually with a new speaker it sounds really rough with hardly any lows. It takes a few hours for the harshness to go and bottom end to come in. Eventually the frequencies balance out. Last time I got a combo, I played it an hour or two each day for a weekend and it was already noticeably better.

I also found that the mullard reissue tubes are a bit warmer and fuller sounding, especially the CV4004 compared to the stock ones. I'd see if the speakers improve after a few hours before doing anything.
Personally I find that if I play any amp LOUD enough for a few hours I definitely notice less high frequencies.

Latest posts