DSL20HR Questions before possible purchase

Paul Roy

Reaction score
Hello:

Thinking of purchasing this amp but after some googling around I've seen a couple of issues mentioned more than once that I'd like to get your thoughts on:

1. Loop is in a weird location. Saw a few posts saying that the fx loop was oddly located before the channel volume (as opposed to after).

2. To much highs rolled off the clean channel at the higher end of the clean ch gain range.

#1 would be a deal breaker for me but maybe this is just an issue with some early run amps and not part
of the normal design.

#2 I could live with if I can dial in an edge tone and roll off guitar volume for clean or boost without any extreme loss of highs.

Also wondering about the range of gain on channel 2 - does it start with light breakup?, or more?

I know I can return it if I don't like it but just want to be clear about these things before purchase. This would be my first marshall. Thanks in advance for any replies.

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello:

Thinking of purchasing this amp but after some googling around I've seen a couple of issues mentioned more than once that I'd like to get your thoughts on:

1. Loop is in a weird location. Saw a few posts saying that the fx loop was oddly located before the channel volume (as opposed to after).

2. To much highs rolled off the clean channel at the higher end of the clean ch gain range.

#1 would be a deal breaker for me but maybe this is just an issue with some early run amps and not part
of the normal design.

#2 I could live with if I can dial in an edge tone and roll off guitar volume for clean or boost without any extreme loss of highs.

Also wondering about the range of gain on channel 2 - does it start with light breakup?, or more?

I know I can return it if I don't like it but just want to be clear about these things before purchase. This would be my first marshall. Thanks in advance for any replies.
:welcome:to the forum.
I have the DSL20HR and:
1. I'm honestly not sure what difference this would make.
The DSL20 does not have a "master" volume, just the independent channel volumes.
2. I've never noticed any loss of highs on the clean channel as the gain is increased.
The clean channel stays fairly clean, up to both volume and gain maxed out. (yes, I do.)
Leading into the 3rd, unnumbered issue, the Ultra channel can get as clean with the gain low as the clean channel gets with the gain cranked.
I would describe it as ultra channel takes over where the clean leaves off, with a little overlap if anything - no gap.
Also, the ultra channel gain goes up to insane.
Many (including me) have replaced V1 with an ECC823 tube to tame the ultra channel.
It gives better control throughout the gain range without losing much at the top end.

Get it, I love mine.

Paul Roy

Reaction score
:welcome:to the forum.
I have the DSL20HR and:
1. I'm honestly not sure what difference this would make.
The DSL20 does not have a "master" volume, just the independent channel volumes.
2. I've never noticed any loss of highs on the clean channel as the gain is increased.
The clean channel stays fairly clean, up to both volume and gain maxed out. (yes, I do.)
Leading into the 3rd, unnumbered issue, the Ultra channel can get as clean with the gain low as the clean channel gets with the gain cranked.
I would describe it as ultra channel takes over where the clean leaves off, with a little overlap if anything - no gap.
Also, the ultra channel gain goes up to insane.
Many (including me) have replaced V1 with an ECC823 tube to tame the ultra channel.
It gives better control throughout the gain range without losing much at the top end.

Get it, I love mine.

Thanks for the reply - most fx loop returns I've seen on amps with no master feed directly into the power section (loop located between pre and pwr). The difference can be significant in some circumstances. ie-If using a looper in the fx loop, recording a loop in channel 1 and running it back in channel 2 to play over - will not work well due to varying volume. ie2 - if using the dsl as a power amp only bypassing the preamp to inert an external one, I don't necessarily want another volume control in line between the external preamp and the dsl power section. Anyway, I realize it may not matter to some - just looking for confirmation from someone who owns the amp about where the fx loop is located exactly - before channel volume or after. Hard to tell from the comments I've seen but I'm thinking it's a flaw in earlier runs of the amp that has since been corrected - just not sure. To test for this just put some sort of active signal generator or running looper in the dsl20hr's loop and see if the volume of output changes with changes in channel volume (careful - if the fx loop is in the typical "after channel volume" location you'll be running the signal generator into a wide open power amp).

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply - most fx loop returns I've seen on amps with no master feed directly into the power section (loop located between pre and pwr). The difference can be significant in some circumstances. ie-If using a looper in the fx loop, recording a loop in channel 1 and running it back in channel 2 to play over - will not work well due to varying volume. ie2 - if using the dsl as a power amp only bypassing the preamp to inert an external one, I don't necessarily want another volume control in line between the external preamp and the dsl power section. Anyway, I realize it may not matter to some - just looking for confirmation from someone who owns the amp about where the fx loop is located exactly - before channel volume or after. Hard to tell from the comments I've seen but I'm thinking it's a flaw in earlier runs of the amp that has since been corrected - just not sure. To test for this just put some sort of active signal generator or running looper in the dsl20hr's loop and see if the volume of output changes with changes in channel volume (careful - if the fx loop is in the typical "after channel volume" location you'll be running the signal generator into a wide open power amp).
OK, sorry, I don't do stuff like that (looper, bypassing preamp, and such).
I'm just a plug in and jam in my living room hobby player.
I hope someone smarter than me can answer your inquiry.

Paul Roy

Reaction score
OK, sorry, I don't do stuff like that (looper, bypassing preamp, and such).
I'm just a plug in and jam in my living room hobby player.
I hope someone smarter than me can answer your inquiry.
No worries - wouldn't ever matter to me either had I not run into some finnagly configs here where it makes a difference. I'm glad to hear u mention the hi- end is not an issue for u and the 2nd channel takes over where the 1st leaves off - I'll take those concerns off my list. Thanks

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
:welcome:
To The Forum
I don’t have this amp . But do you have a chance to play before you buy?
That would answer your questions about it.
Cheers
Mitch

Paul Roy

Reaction score
:welcome:
To The Forum
I don’t have this amp . But do you have a chance to play before you buy?
That would answer your questions about it.
Cheers
Mitch
Trying to find one to tryout out but can't find one in stock anywhere - so was thinking I would just order one but wanted to confirm items above first.

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
Ive got both the DSL20HR and the 40CR....
Like others have said, I simply plug in and play....Not into pedals myself.
I do recommend the 40CR over the 20HR however.
It has a lot more fullness to it, even at low volume.

Paul Roy

Reaction score
Ive got both the DSL20HR and the 40CR....
Like others have said, I simply plug in and play....Not into pedals myself.
I do recommend the 40CR over the 20HR however.
It has a lot more fullness to it, even at low volume.
Thanks - will consider the 40 - already have a cab but the price diff is not huge - don't like the weight though.

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
Thanks - will consider the 40 - already have a cab but the price diff is not huge - don't like the weight though.

I wish I could tell you why Marshall does not add a 40 watt HEAD, to the already existing DSL line up. ???

Seems so simple to do!

If a customer purchases a 40CR combo, then purchases a custom made cab for a 40 head, the customer is financially better off to simply purchase a DSL100 head!

Yet not everybody needs 100 watts.

But whatever you decide, I dont think the line out has been an issue with most consumers!

Good luck!

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
I briefly had a 20HR with problem #1 in 2018.
It made looping impossible.
It also affected the emulated out.
The only volume control for the E-out was the Channel Gains, so Gain scaled with Volume.
I tried all the other HR & CR models in the shop and they were all the same.
I gave up and bought the 40CR instead.
No regrets on that decision.

BTW, adding an extension cab to a DSL40CR is a wonderful thing.
As you can mismatch speaker loads with a 40CR, it won't matter if your existing cab is 16 or 8 ohms.
Also, the dual-MV 40CR can cover far more tonal territory at any volume.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
@Paul Roy ,
There were indeed some DSL20 units shipped with the loop "before" the volume controls. This was a manufacturing mistake that affected some other things also. Marshall fixed them under warranty. We have not had confirmation that this "mistake" no longer occurs, but it seems to have been corrected! My 2018 DSL20CR was one of the "mistakes" and Marshall warranty turned it around in less than two weeks. They are great little amps!

FWIW, mine was purchased as a floor model/open box at a healthy discount and then incurred some shipping/poor packing damage which netted me an additional, substantial discount. The price ended up so low as to make it a no brainer to go along with the warranty process, as opposed to returning it! It's been fantastic ever since and is one of my two main "go to" amps!

Just My Take On It,
Gene

Last edited:

Paul Roy

Reaction score
Thanks all for the kind replies - I think the 20HR will work for me - as I kind of suspected, the loop issue is an anomaly on earlier runs. This thread has also got me thinking about the 40CR, so a bit more deliberation needed and then start looking to find deals - take care all.