Dsl20hr problems

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Bäng, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Bäng

Bäng New Member

Hello marshall forum! First time posting here!

I just bought a new dsl20hr and within the first 20mins of playing on full power it started to lose power, started cutting out. Turned it off and back on, worked for a while again. I tried the low power mode and first there was a loud(ish), louder than normal, electric buzz from the amp itself and it had very low, pretty much no output at all. Also on the full power mode it made crackling and popping noises through the speaker cab when guitar vol was turned down all the way.

I did the tap test on the tubes with a drumstick and didnt get any rattling or other weird noise through the speakers so I guess the tubes are fine.

Not a great first experience with owning a marshall...
    Edit: I lied! Somehow I forgot that I play a dsl1 with two 10” marshall cabs at home, used to own a mg15h beforw the dsl and a few years ago bought a valvestate combo second hand..it didnt work...worked for a few mins at a time and then cut out completelly. Sorry about that...

I reached out to the store where I bought it, lets see how they handle it...

Anyone else had these issues with a new dsl? What might be the cause?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    Mitchell Pearrow, SkyMonkey and tce63 like this.
  2. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

:welcome: to the forum !
    Someone will be with you shortly !

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  3. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Sorry if it takes so long , probably sipping a glass of wine !...lol......or two !

4. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

If it’s new, don’t try to fix it or you might void the warranty, just take it back.

5. Bäng

Bäng New Member

Yes its brand new. Just got an email from the store I bought it from. They gave me contacts to a Marshall repairguy who will fix it and waranty will cover the cost. Im a bit bummed still, would have just liked to send it back and get a new one. Lets see how this goes.

Mitchell Pearrow and Ramo like this.
  6. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

Tapping tubes or seeing if they light up is not an accurate way to test them. REPLACING them with known working tubes, is.

Always have extras. 90% of the issues with tube amps, are the tubes themselves.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  7. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

And so the saga continues with the infamous Dsl20.

Sorry to hear about your problem @Bäng, but it's not something we haven't heard about before regarding the Dsl20. Where are you located and how long have you owned it? Doesn't the store you bought it from have a return or exchange policy? Here in the states everyone has a return/exchange policy of at least 30 days.

There was a member here not too long ago, that returned 3 different Dsl20s until finally the 4th one was fine. I would push the issue with the seller for either a return or an exchange.

Best of luck going forward.

Mitchell Pearrow and Stratofly59 like this.
  8. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Oh and :welcome: to The Marshall Forum!

9. Bäng

Bäng New Member

I actually tried replacing the preamp tubes today with no luck. The same problems were there. I just swapped the preamp tubes in my rockerverb and tested the dsl with the old (still usable) tubes from the Orange.

Im located in Helsinki Finland. There is a return policy but its also not uncommon that the seller will try to fix the issue first. I got the amp last tuesday and the problems began within the first 20 minutes of use out of the box.

I could push for returning the amp or an exhange but if it can be fixed at a repair shop its fine by me. Lets see how it goes.

I ordered the amp from a shop in another city and it took them 2 weeks to ship it to me....1,5 hour drive from here. Not really having luck with this particular shop. This was my second (and last) buy from them, should have learned from the first time, but thats another story. But the price was good: 358 euro for a new dsl.

If theres any problems with getting it fixed I’ll just return it and buy a sc20 head instead.

I just want to play the damn thing!! Really liking the marshall sound after a few years of only playing orange gear (including a very brief mesa moment, yuck!).

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  10. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

I would really push for an exchange. The repair guy could take weeks to get your amp back.

11. EADGBE

EADGBE Well-Known Member

It's probably the tubes. Maybe the power tubes. Keep us up to date.

12. Drinkingdeath01

Drinkingdeath01 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Did you check your impedence on the cab ? Or maybe the stock speaker cable might be bad ? I would check those before sending it back.

13. Bäng

Bäng New Member

I took it to the repairguy today, I told him whats wrong with the amp and he said Hes 95% sure its because of the power tubes. Lets see. He said I will get it back tomorrow!

Yes cab impedance has been checked when I rewired a new jackplate to it (using a orange 412 at the moment). The speaker cable that came withe the amp doesnt look like something I would ever use. Also tested with my 1960 lead cab with the same results and for the third time with my 212 orange cab.

I tested the same cabs & cable with my rockerverb and worked fine.

14. Musicmaniac

Musicmaniac Well-Known Member

Hope the shop is paying for them!

15. Bäng

Bäng New Member

yes, the repair is covered by waranty!

16. Bäng

Bäng New Member

The issue is now solved, at least thats what the repairguy said. He told me he swapped the powertubes and the amp works as it should now. He said that the original powertubes were an unmatched pair and that caused the tubes to go bad and make the amp stop working immediatelly.

I’ll be getting it back tomorrow and can test it at home quietly. The real test will be on saturday when I take it to the rehearsal room.

Hoping this is the end for this thread!!

NAD thread may be coming soon...I have my sights on a jcm2000....

17. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

:scratch:

18. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

:welcome: To the forum
    I hope you get your amp issues dealt with in a reasonable amount of time.
    Cheers
    Mitch

19. Bäng

Bäng New Member

7C22558F-A7E4-4F32-AC48-F828439AC294.jpeg Spent a few hours today at our rehearsal space with the amp and everything works as it should!

so the problem was the powertubes that were an unmatched pair. It has now a fresh new set of JJ el34 in the power section and all is good!

thanks to everyone for the interest and input!

Just noticed today that the amp has a footswitchable fx-loop. Never had this feature before and feeling kinda dumb on why? Thought it would be an easy one button solution to switching my loop pedals on and off (and I only have a spark biost for volume and mxr carbon copy in the loop anyway) and while it did work for that, when turned off it also made my ns-2 stop gating the front end noise. Edit: I used my brain and realised how the signal flows in an amp...of course it doesnt affect the preamp hiss. Idiot.

anyway, amp works, fx-loop is footswitchable and I’m stupid for not getting it!

added to the collection while I was waiting for the amp to be fixed, Now I have two 1960 cabs!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  20. K2JLX

K2JLX Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Glad to hear it all worked out for you in the end. Nothing worse than getting something new and it doesn’t work the way it’s supposed to. Rock on brother.