Dsl20cr & 70/80 Question

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Graham G, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Graham G

Graham G Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

I'm thinking of buying a 20CR(1st Marshall Amp)the Origin started my Marshall desire,but having dem'd it (3 times) I don't think the there's enough Gain,without pedals,so i'm reading up on the DSL.
    Question on pretty much every thread I've read on the 3 forums I use,the 70/80 speaker gets negative comments,what's wrong with it?,I've not dem'd the Amp yet(maybe Today),but i'm not keen on buying a new Amp,that has as an iffy speaker,especially as the matching MX cab has the same speaker.
    Cheers,Graham.

2. aussiebluesville

aussiebluesville Active Member

great choice DSL20CR, the 70/80 broken in is pretty good, but i put a vintage marshall v30 MF in mine and it is now the best speaker i've had in these marshalls, and even better going into a 1x12cab with a v30, the 70/80 is ice picky and the v30 smooths it out.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. Seventh Son

Seventh Son Well-Known Member

I think the stock 70/80 speaker in the DSL20CR is fine. The G12E-60 that comes stock with the DSL15C looks even worse on paper—if you go by what people on here say about it—but I like it even better than the 70/80 in my DSL20CR. I think the G12E-60 has character, not despite, but because of the "flawed" speaker. So, if I were you, I'd save myself money and put more time into practicing and having fun making music. The DSL20CR stock is a fine tool for any capable musician.

4. ido1957

ido1957 Active Member

I bought a DSL20CR about 2 months ago. It is in the shop to fix a bad hiss/noise problem, which is common on these models (not all but quite a few from what I've read). Just be aware that this may pop up when you actually try it out. I'm hoping the dealer/repair guy can fix it (warranty) and I will post the solution once it is done (if they fix it).

5. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Like everything else relating to tone, speakers are subjective too. The reality is the 70/80 is a lower end speaker that Marshall uses to keep the cost of the amp down. It's not a horrible speaker, but a lot of people here, and other forums, have multiple amps, cabs, speakers, etc., so it's only natural to swap things out for the tone they want.

I had a 4x12 with 70/80's and while it was fine at lower volumes I didn't think it handled all that well when pushing a lot of air - but that's just me. I'm not a fan of the V30 but so many others swear by them. On the flip side, I absolutely love the G12T-75 yet a lot of people don't like those. Again, subjective.

Don't let the speaker deter you from buying the amp. Go test it and if you like then buy it. Somewhere down the road you can swap the speaker out if you hear something else you like better.

I've been playing on and off for about 40 years, but only seriously again for the last 5-6 years. I've come to realize that music gear is a lot like buying a Harley-Davidson. You buy it thinking this is it and I'm all set. Then you realize there are different foot pegs, chrome this and that, saddle bags, etc. and before you know it you bike has a bunch of mods on it. I have 8 guitars and only one of them is 100% stock. Whether it's a simple pickup swap or complete rebuild I've done something to just about all of them. Same with my amps and speaker cab. My point is don't get hung-up on one aspect of something because chances are down the road you may be changing things out anyhow.

Get ready for the ride and enjoy!

GIBSON67 likes this.
  6. Graham G

Thanks,for the replies,i was just curious why all the dislike for the 70/80,it sounds ok in all the dems I've listened to,so i'm going to buy the 20CR & see how it goes,i've been agonising between the DSL 20/40C,the Origin 20/50,then the Mini Jubilee,briefly the JVM215C,but I've decided to go with the DSL 20,rather then the DSL40(which looks better value),because if I gel with the Amp,i'll end up buying & using 2.
    Just a bit of info i'm 73,been playing in pub bands since I was 14(around Liverpool & sometimes further afield),but i'm still not to old to ask advice/opinions,it's all part of the fun:band:,
    Hey,Seventh Son,i practice more than I've ever done(terrified my fingers will seize up),so don't worry & there's no chance i'll waste money;),i just think I should have my 1st Marshall while i'm still able to gig:).

7. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Very, very cool! That's awesome that you still want to play. Love it!

8. Graham G

Thanks KraftyBob,i can't imagine not gigging,i also agree with you about HD,we've been riding them for about 20yrs,we still have an FXDF,that I can still just about manage to hold upright.

KraftyBob likes this.
  9. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

Never played a 20CR or a 70/80 but I am loving my DSL15H through my open back 1x12 loaded with a G12H30 55 hz T1281 with bass cone!
    Mine is actually vintage 1968 preRola, but a very good match!

10. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Active Member

I had a 70/80 in my DSL40C, which is a very bright amp, and the 70/80 tends to have somewhat scooped mids and a harsh high end. I swapped it for an Eminence Private Jack and I couldn't be happier.

That said, it's far from a terrible speaker. My understanding is that the new DSL series has been significantly re-tuned for more and richer mids and a reduced top-end spike. More people complain about the 70/80 in the older series of amps than in the newer series of amps, according to what I've seen. The problem isn't really the speaker; it's just that the old amp series doesn't pair well with that particular speaker. The newer ones do, to my knowledge (although the 20 is admittedly the only one in the range I have not yet played).

11. Graham G

Thanks,Clifdawg.The DSL20 being revoiced using the 70/80 as their chosen speaker,would make sense & could explain why it sounds ok(to me)& at least one reviewer stated he was surprised that the 20CR sounded so good with the 70/80,when he had previously disliked the Speaker.
    We'll soon see,i'm ordering on-line Today,without shop dem'ing:)

12. DonP

DonP Active Member

I have a Monoprice 15 (Laney 12R copy) which has a 2203 preamp circuit. Being that it cost $143 delivered, it came with the 70/80. I'm still breaking in the amp and speaker, but I think it works really good. I have V30's and an G12M greenback, but they are 16ohms instead of 8 so I haven't tried them.

I'm sure (at least I would hope) Marshall tuned the DSL20CR circuit to go with the speakers they were loading in the cab. I think they did this when the DSL's first came out - people seem more happy (like me) with the T75's. They seem to not like V30's with this amp.

13. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

When I briefly had a DSL 40C, I broke in the 70/80 speaker by running a looper through a solid state head into the speaker for 24 hours. The speaker sounded great once broken in. I do agree these speakers don't sound very good when new, but once broken in, I think they are nicely paired with this amp.

14. Seventh Son

Seventh Son Well-Known Member

I personally am more fond of the G12E-60 stock speaker in my DSL15C, however, there’s no denying that the 70/80 in the DSL20CR sounds more refined. I’ve done comparison recordings of them, where the 70/80 sounded more scooped, reminiscent of the G12T-75, but less aggressive. They’re posted below.

And here are two recordings of the DSL15C stock (with the Deep switch out) and through a standard 1960A (also with the Deep switch out) with the G12T-75, just to give you an additional point of reference.

As you listen to the above samples, keep in mind that the recordings were done at bedroom volumes.

And here’s the DSL20CR with my ideal EQ settings and microphone placement, recorded with Volume on 2.5.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  15. Satchmodog

Satchmodog Member

I have two cabs, a Blackstar HTV 212 with the 70/80s in it and an Orange PP212 with V30s. While the Orange sounds so much better(it should for double the freakin price), the Blackstar holds its own and does sound absolutely stellar. I run the DSL 20, Dark Terror, HT5 and Tweaker 88 through both of the cabs and get amazing yet different tones out of both. I enjoy the 70/80s with that Marshall tone, especially the gain channel and can't see myself ever swapping the speakers out of this cab. But, we all know tone is totally subjective and what sounds like ass to one person is another man's groove.

16. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I recently bought the cabinet you’re referring to...MX112R...along with a DSL1HR head. The Seventy 80 is not s bad sounding speaker imo, but it does have some concerns for me.

Mostly it’s a very bright speaker, (at least with my DSL1), sometimes a bit brittle, not a very warm sounding speaker. Although mine is not broken in yet...but I’m not sure I’m going to make to the full break in....

....I’m thinking about changing it out for a G12M-65 Creamback.

17. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

Greenback fixes everything...even the Chinese reissue sounds great.. the reissue has enough treble response that it will not make your overall tone too mid-focused... My Heritage seems to be picky with amps...

18. Graham G

Well the DSL arrived Today,so i'll be using it at the gig Tonight(Fogs in Liverpool if anyone's local):band: