Dsl20cr 1st Gig Thoughts(final Decision)

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Graham G, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Graham G

Graham G Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

The DSL20CR arrived Saturday pm & so i gigged with it Saturday night,these are my thoughts on the Amp after ONE GIG,so not jumping to conclusions then;).
    Ultra Ch.has enough on stage Volume to gig with a loud Neande,er,sorry drummer:)using Yam Power kit(big drums) & just as loud Bass Player using GK 800 x 2 x15" cabs.

Summary of the 20CR,in new post

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  2. ido1957

ido1957 Active Member

What pedals are you using? Have you tried pedals->clean channel to get the desired variety of tones?
    What amp did you use prior that delivered the tones you like? Again what pedals/speakers in that one?
    There is some talk about breaking in a speaker for 24 hours. Just a thought...
    I have a half stack JCM900 and a DSL20CR. The wattage and cabinet on the 900 make a significant difference in tone and overall apparent volume in my humble opinion. I can accept that as my whole purpose was to get a Marshall sound with less weight.

3. Graham G

I don't use pedals,the onlyPedal i've used was an Ibanez EQ pedal,when I had my AC30's,but that's that long ago I can't remember the model.
    I'm all over the place with Amps,i'm mostly using a Yam THR100H,which is ok,but not quite there,i also own an Orange JRT & a Rocker30.
    I'm not writing off the DSL,i just thought i'd post a first impression after just 1 gig.
    I've gotten it into my head,that I want to gig with a Marshall & with being old(liftings getting harder) & cheap:),i decided to try the 20CR.
    i originally thought an Origin 20C,would be right for me,but when I demd it I didn't feel there would be enough Gain without pedals, & I wouldn't know where to start with that.
    Cheers.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  4. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

It's surprising that a 20 watt amp couldn't cut through the mix in the clean channel. I used my 5 watt Class 5 at band rehearsal yesterday just for the hell of it, and it was plenty loud, albeit the tone was pure crunch, as the clean tone breaks up at higher volumes.

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  5. Seventh Son

Seventh Son Well-Known Member

I totally get what you mean by saying that the amp sounds hard. The DSL20CR—and the DSL15C even more so—have very hard and stiff mids that get harder the louder the amp is played. It sounds like this is something that’s easily fixed by scooping the sound a little more and turning up the Bass knob. I would try that and see how it goes. If you decide you need a new speaker to squeeze out every bit that you can out of the amp, the Creamback sounds a lot like what you need based on my impression from various YouTube comparisons.

6. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Yes brother give that speaker a good break in and kick up the volume back off the gain, and plug a cab in to spread your sound, made a large improvement for me and a very loud skin pounder, but I am using the 40c’s, the 2 amps are not that far off! Cheers

7. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Also try an OD pedal with channel 1. It gives you another layer of sound choice.

Antmax likes this.
  8. Graham G

It's not really the Volume,the Classic Ch. just doesn't "drive" enough(for me)

Yes agree with this,see new bit below:).

Thanks,see new bit below

I don't own any pedals,but to switch channel to "Ultra",wouldn't I also need to turn off the Pedal,whatever that was?,sounds terrifying:D

So this is my update,after having a couple of hours with the Amp in our practice space Tonight :).
    Firstly fired up the Amp with stock speaker,it sounded pretty much the same as at the gig but with a bit more time for twiddling got it sounding better.
    I then run the Amp section through a 1936 cab,massive improvement over the stock speaker(to be expected:D)then dug out my old Mesa Cab,with a single 12"Mesa EV,now we're getting somewhere,the Ultra channel is now starting to sound more to my likeing,i'm afraid the 70/80 would have to go,life's too short(at my age)to wait for it to "break in".
    I honestly don't know what Marshall are hearing with this speaker,it really restricts the body of the sound.
    A bit if twiddling with the EQ(after the speaker change) started getting rid of a lot the Hardness I commented about in my 1st post,also small amounts of Gain adjusting worked with getting a fuller rounder sound
    All this is with the Ultra Ch.,the Classic Ch really doesn't work,for me,it is in effect a 1 Ch.amp.
    So speaker has to go,if I stick my EV into the Combo(if it will fit)makes the Combo nearly as heavy as the 40CR,which would give me more output(though I doubt i'd need it)the 20CR is LOUD,plus with the 40CR,i would have more flexibility with the Channels(I think),or change the 20C for the 20H & use it with my Mesa Cab & use it as a 1 Ch. Amp, decisions, decisions.
    But one way or another i'm going to end up with my 1st Marshall:):).
    I've just thought of another option find a decent speaker for the Combo that would blend with the EV & use the Mesa as an ext. cab:D

9. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Yes you have to step in the OD but if ch 1 Crunch is useless for you, run an OD pedal onnit it's closer to tbe Ultra channel. Then switch to Ultra with a slightly lower gain setting pedal still on and you have an ass kicking channel 1 and channel 2 Plus the ability to turn off the OD for ch 1.

Mitchell Pearrow and Antmax like this.
  10. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

On the 20CR there is no "CRUNCH" on the Classic Channel. It is just one choice that is somewhere between the "Clean" and "Crunch" of the DSL40CR and DSL100HR, though unfortunately, it's a little closer to the "Clean" than the "Crunch!" It does indeed boil down to generally being a one channel amp. I'm torn between using the Ultra or using the Classic with an almost always on boost! Either way, it certainly is a Deluxe Reverb slayer!

It sure does like to be cranked up and the 10 watt setting sounds like poo, compared to the 20 watt setting!

Just My $.02,
    Gene

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  11. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I have the head version and started by running it through the MX212A which comes stock with the Seventy/80's. While they don't sound bad tone-wise on their own, as stated before; in a band situation, they definitely don't cut through the proverbial mix. Break into a lead, and you get lost.

I've been experimenting with different speakers, and will continue to do so. I had two G12T-75's in it, but it just didn't have enough mids, just not enough 'honk'. I currently have a G12T-75 in the top with a V30 in the bottom. Definitely cuts through, but personally I don't think I like the V30 all that much. Too much Fizz.

I think experimenting with different speakers until you find what you want, will eventually get you what you want. :D My opinion; the Seventy/80's just aren't the answer.

12. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

You experienced what I did with the 70/80's - they just don't like a lot of volume. I'm running my DSL40C with the G12M-65 Creamback in the combo and a 1x12 closed back extension cab with a G12T-75. Running this as a 2x12 with these speakers is a night and day difference compared to running my DSL into a 4x12 with 70/80's.

I'm with you as far as weight is concerned. My DSL is pushing close to 60 lbs. I don't play out that much right now so it's not a big deal, but this may be changing in the near future. If that's the case then I'm seriously considering converting my combo into a head and re-building my speaker cab as a 2x12 (it originally started as a 2x12 so it's wide enough). I'm estimating that the 2x12 will be in the 45 lb range and the head around 25 lbs based on others that have done the conversion. Much easier to move around than a 60 lb box!

Good to hear you had another go with your amp and you're finding your tone!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  13. Seventh Son

Seventh Son Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be great if Marshall added a Classic/Crunch push-button option to the Classic Channel on the DSL20CR? Or to mod the amp to do the same. Now that would be a mod worth the while!

14. Graham G

Thanks,JR,yes I can see that working,although I can't see me ever wanting to use the Classic Ch. as is.

Thanks,GB.I was starting to think I was in a minority of One with my opinions of the the Classic Ch.

Thanks ,JM.The amp 20CR really did jump into a different league with my old Mesa badged EV speaker.
    By the time i've changed the speaker & maybe added a "Gain Pedal" I'm really starting to think I may just be better returning the 20CR
    & going for the 40CR,which doesn't appear to suffer from the issues I have with the 20CR,except it's bigger & heavier.
    Cheers

15. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I run my DSL40 stock and I can get it to rip.

I'm still using the 70/80 speaker.

The green channel both clean and classic are made for boosts. If you choose not to its your loss. And any audience's.

Experiment with it. I've gotten all kinds of kick ass tone with a DSL. Give a shit if there are better sounding amps...which I have.

Keep trying. And ask questions. Tune that fucker. It will rip.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  16. solarburnDSL50

Here's a green clean boosted...

John BNY and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  17. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

With a G12T-75 and a V30, my MX212A tips the scales at about 53 LBS.

18. solarburnDSL50

And some greasy as s chit through the clean channel...

19. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

My speaker cab is actually a former MG250DFX that I bought from a guy that pulled the head and used it as a 2x12 extension cab. I bought this because most 1x12 cabs are not wide enough for the DSL40 - which is wide for a 1x12 combo. I built a new baffle as a 1x12 and loaded the T75. The MG250DFX amp with head and stock speakers is 48 lbs. I figured my speakers are heavier than stock, but the head is removed - which is how I came to my 45 lb estimate. The cab is MDF but I made the baffle out of 3/4" Birch ply.

20. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

3 channels! :yesway: