Dsl1H into Origin 20H or MG 100HFX

Markfresh

Reaction score
I used the speaker output from the JCM1 (No loop), but the signal is too hot to re- amplify. Check before you do this but I'm sure the balanced output from the DSL1 is still the speaker output in low power mode. You will be missing the ECC82 in the chain by using the loop. This may be the correct way to go though....as I said check before using. It did no harm to either of my amps when using the speaker output.

Thanks for the reply.
I was only going to go out from the Dsl send in the loop not from speaker out.
Which as originofthespecies said will bypass the Dsl power section ( so yes bypassing the ECC82), but using the origins power amp tubes instead, by plugging into the origins return input on the loop.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for something I don't remember what.
Thanks for the reply.
I was only going to go out from the Dsl send in the loop not from speaker out.
Which as originofthespecies said will bypass the Dsl power section ( so yes bypassing the ECC82), but using the origins power amp tubes instead, by plugging into the origins return input on the loop.
The original idea was to re-amp the entire signal chain of the 1 watt amp. You may need to read through the entire "official 1watt thread". ai'm sure there was a post from Santiago (The original DSL 1 designer saying to use the speaker output. You may want to experiment both ways and see which gives the best signal to noise ratio. The post from Santiago mentioned about the DSL & JVM 1 having balanced output from the speaker jacks to enable them to be used for D.I. purposes....which also means they are suitable for putting into the effect return of a bigger amp.
I used the JMD because it has a bank of built in digital effects that come after the effect return in the JMD's signal chain.
I have no doubt both methods will work, but you may find re-amping the whole signal rather than just the pre-amp of the DSL1 will sound better....it could, of course, be vice versa.

Be sure to post up your results, preferably with clips,when you try it out.

Markfresh

Reaction score
The original idea was to re-amp the entire signal chain of the 1 watt amp. You may need to read through the entire "official 1watt thread". ai'm sure there was a post from Santiago (The original DSL 1 designer saying to use the speaker output. You may want to experiment both ways and see which gives the best signal to noise ratio. The post from Santiago mentioned about the DSL & JVM 1 having balanced output from the speaker jacks to enable them to be used for D.I. purposes....which also means they are suitable for putting into the effect return of a bigger amp.
I used the JMD because it has a bank of built in digital effects that come after the effect return in the JMD's signal chain.
I have no doubt both methods will work, but you may find re-amping the whole signal rather than just the pre-amp of the DSL1 will sound better....it could, of course, be vice versa.

Be sure to post up your results, preferably with clips,when you try it out.

Thanks,
I went thru the offical 1 watt thread looking for posts by santiago but couldnt see them.
Ill go back thru and read it all and see what i can find.

RLW59

Reaction score
Thanks,
I went thru the offical 1 watt thread looking for posts by santiago but couldnt see them.
Ill go back thru and read it all and see what i can find.

Just do a search for posts by "santiall". I know he's posted about the different ways you can hook up the DSL1, but some of those posts may be in other threads.

Markfresh

Reaction score
OK so i found from santial

"The DSL1 and JVM1 use an L-attenuator that serves both as load and output voltage attenuator so those will deliver an output voltage that is much more independent of the input impedance of whatever you connect them to, being the voltage more or less constant an approx 1.8V peak. This is the reason why the DSL1 and JVM1 use a combined single output speaker and don't need to be switched into 0.1W to operate safely without load."

So this would mean i dont need to use 0.1 mode?
And also it was suggested to use a intrument lead from dsl out to 2nd amp return?

I shall keep searching for more

Last edited:

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for something I don't remember what.
The other point to bear in mind is we were discussing the original 50th Anniversary 1watt amps. The new (much cheaper) DSL1 may be different. The valve compliment certainly is (3 as opposed to the original's 5). There will have been features from the original that will have been removed in order to keep costs down. The newer amp is specifically lablelled 16ohm output only, whereas the original was not.
Santiago could not comment one way or the other on the newer amp as he was no longer at Marshall when they released it.
My advice would be to proceed with caution in low power mode.

pedecamp

Reaction score
Hi i was reading about people getting some good sounds pluging a Dsl1H into a Origin 20H via there effects loops.
I have a Origin 20H and a MG100HFX, which would be the better sound for the power amp?
Im not looking to play super loud just thought it was a interesting idea.
I realise the main difference would be tube vs solid state power amp, but as the Dsl is doing most of the sound and tone im not sure which one for power amp.
I imagine it would be tube thats better?

Also if using the Origin 20H would you have to crank the master as per usual to get the tube working like u would as a stand alone head?
If so would the MG be better as you dont need to crank it being SS.

And how would you set the volumes?
DSL cranked then MG or Origin as a master level ?

Also i read that the Dsl should be used on low power setting , what is the reason for this?
And does the Dsl need a load ? I imagine not as this is why people can do this set up.

Thanks
Mark
Sounds like you're interested in trying this, get a DSL1 and you tell us which works better!

Markfresh

Reaction score
Sounds like you're interested in trying this, get a DSL1 and you tell us which works better!

I am interested :p, im going to get a Dsl1h regardless, still a bit worried about blowing somwthing up buy trying this .
So a little more research for me at the moment.
As Georiga tech pointed out above , it sounds like people were doing this with the old DSL and to proceed with caution with the new ones.
Which i will do.

Latest posts