>

Dsl1H into Origin 20H or MG 100HFX

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Markfresh, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Markfresh

Markfresh Active Member

Thanks for the reply.
    I was only going to go out from the Dsl send in the loop not from speaker out.
    Which as originofthespecies said will bypass the Dsl power section ( so yes bypassing the ECC82), but using the origins power amp tubes instead, by plugging into the origins return input on the loop.

2. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    The original idea was to re-amp the entire signal chain of the 1 watt amp. You may need to read through the entire "official 1watt thread". ai'm sure there was a post from Santiago (The original DSL 1 designer saying to use the speaker output. You may want to experiment both ways and see which gives the best signal to noise ratio. The post from Santiago mentioned about the DSL & JVM 1 having balanced output from the speaker jacks to enable them to be used for D.I. purposes....which also means they are suitable for putting into the effect return of a bigger amp.
    I used the JMD because it has a bank of built in digital effects that come after the effect return in the JMD's signal chain.
    I have no doubt both methods will work, but you may find re-amping the whole signal rather than just the pre-amp of the DSL1 will sound better....it could, of course, be vice versa.

Be sure to post up your results, preferably with clips,when you try it out.

Mitchell Pearrow and fitz288 like this.
  3. Markfresh

Markfresh Active Member

Thanks,
    I went thru the offical 1 watt thread looking for posts by santiago but couldnt see them.
    Ill go back thru and read it all and see what i can find.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  4. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

Just do a search for posts by "santiall". I know he's posted about the different ways you can hook up the DSL1, but some of those posts may be in other threads.

Mitchell Pearrow and Georgiatec like this.
  5. Markfresh

Markfresh Active Member

Oh its santiall not santiago, ok thanks

6. Markfresh

Markfresh Active Member

OK so i found from santial

"The DSL1 and JVM1 use an L-attenuator that serves both as load and output voltage attenuator so those will deliver an output voltage that is much more independent of the input impedance of whatever you connect them to, being the voltage more or less constant an approx 1.8V peak. This is the reason why the DSL1 and JVM1 use a combined single output speaker and don't need to be switched into 0.1W to operate safely without load."

So this would mean i dont need to use 0.1 mode?
    And also it was suggested to use a intrument lead from dsl out to 2nd amp return?

I shall keep searching for more

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  7. Georgiatec

Ah yes sorry, Santiago's forum handle is "Santiall". I'm sure you still have to have the 1 watt amp in low power mode to re-amp though, but it seems I was correct about using the speaker output.

8. Georgiatec

The other point to bear in mind is we were discussing the original 50th Anniversary 1watt amps. The new (much cheaper) DSL1 may be different. The valve compliment certainly is (3 as opposed to the original's 5). There will have been features from the original that will have been removed in order to keep costs down. The newer amp is specifically lablelled 16ohm output only, whereas the original was not.
    Santiago could not comment one way or the other on the newer amp as he was no longer at Marshall when they released it.
    My advice would be to proceed with caution in low power mode.

9. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're interested in trying this, get a DSL1 and you tell us which works better!

10. Markfresh

Markfresh Active Member

I am interested :p, im going to get a Dsl1h regardless, still a bit worried about blowing somwthing up buy trying this .
    So a little more research for me at the moment.
    As Georiga tech pointed out above , it sounds like people were doing this with the old DSL and to proceed with caution with the new ones.
    Which i will do.

Mitchell Pearrow and pedecamp like this.